Premiere 14.7 is BROKEN

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback turns black when paused. Exports fail because it can't render still images or generated text on a regular basis.

I've been using Premiere for over a decade and each new release is worse than the last lately. Sure would be nice to get a stable release that actually works as intended.

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Export, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what i'm dealing  with these days. exports are corrupt in some frames.

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Dale,

Looks like your Hardware encoder is being used elsewhere while the live rendering is going on. So look for other programs that are using it while premier pro is running, Most probably it could be a browser (Chrome or Edge). Try shutting them down, delete Premiere cache, and then restarting Premiere. If you still want to use Chrome whiel editing, there is an option in the advanced settings of Chrome, where you can disable "Hardware acceleration". Let us know how that went.

Peace...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blaclef,

That's not the issue, I've disabled that right away. I've gone around in circles with senior engineers from Adobe, it is a bug that's easy to replicate, and affects most of my projects. They are aware of the issue and can't solve it, yet they still won't add it to the list of known issues. This issue is present in all of the 2020 releases, so every version available has it.

mrgrenadier,

The issue is not hardware, I have a new build with the latest drivers and all my hardware is on the preferred hardware list. I've gone through all those steps you suggested on my own and with Senior Adobe engineers (escalated to a third, highest level). The issue is a bug in all versions of Premiere 2020 where text and graphic files like .png or .jpg cause renders to crash on export. It's a bug that is easy to replicate and affects most of my projects. The only workaround I've found is to do a timeline render with ProRes 422HQ, then once I get it to render (which sometimes takes a few attempts, then making small adjustments to trick it into actually completing a render) using Previews.

I find it to be a serious problem that senior engineers can't fix it, yet refuse to add the issues to the list of known issues. Been fighting this for nearly a year now on several machines. The problem is that Adobe won't allow you to roll back to older STABLE versions unless they were previously installed. Doesn't help with a new build, BAD for people who make a living editing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right Dale,
So lets do this the right way - start with changing the renderer. I'm not sure if you tried to switch it to "software" in the project general settings and delete the cache, and restart PP2020. Lets see how that goes. Because this is usually a commit conflict with the GPU or the renderer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to mention that the error is a GPU renderer error.

I've done extensive testing of my GPU with NVIDIA and the issue is NOT hardware-related, it is software-related. I've tried every currently-available version of Premiere and tried rolling back my Nvidia drivers as well (using studio, not gaming). We NEED hardware accelleration, that's why we went with the hardware we did, so we can turn out our projects fast. 

Trust me, we've tried all this before and have been in contact with senior engineers at Adobe. I don't expect you guys to have a fix because the Adobe software is broken. I just want them to actually list it on the know issues page and commit to focusing on fixing it rather than adding gimmicky new features like scene-detect and auto-reframing for vertical video. I need a reliable professional tool, not a blogger-centric, buggy, consumer-focused program... which is what Premiere is starting to become.

This same issue affects all the editors in our studio, my friends friends editing from LA to NY, and everywhere in between working on commercials and network shows. We're all experiencing the same exact issues with 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Dale,

You may be onto something - We're using an RTX 2070 with the AMD threadripper and everythings flying off well - with the new update. However, I remember Adobe having an unsupported cards list that included the RTX 2060. So if it does not black out when switched to the software renderer, then its definately a GPU compatibility problem at its core; and Adobe might not have tested the same for HW acceleration. 

Yeah, so Adobe does that from time to time; i.e., leave out the smaller chipset cards out of their update test.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this same exact issue on my previous rig with a 8700K and P4000. I had the older version installed, so I could roll back to the 2019 version though. With our new machines, we can only install what Adobe allows us to install. 

This graphics card is on the latest recommended GPU sheet for all versions including 14.7

https://helpx.adobe.com/mena_en/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/mena_en/premiere-pro/system-requirement...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Dale,

I'm assuming you've done your bit of the regular PP resolutions; i.e., Copy the contents of the sequnce, and create a new sequnce and re-render the whole space...etc.

If you have, I'd like to try recomending you to turn off and unplug any additional monitors that you may have and restart the machine with just one monitor. I'd like to understand the error points here with the issue at hand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all that and then some. Did very thorough troubleshooting with three levels of adobe support finally ending up with senior engineers. They tried everything, were not able to resolve it, and I've gone through this long and windy process on three different tickets with them that have all ended up closed with no resolution. What really upsets me is that this issue persists for over a year, across half a dozen editor's machines that I know of, the bug is reproducable and I've had several tickets get closed unresolved, yet Adobe STILL refuses to add to list of known issues and commit to a fix.

Where is Adobe at? What does it take to get their attention?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you haven't noticed, none of us can replicate your problems. Which isn't to say you're not having them, just that ... we can't replicate. We're not getting this behavior.

And if the engineers can't even replicate, how can they fix?

That's the quandary we're all in here, both you and those of us trying to find a solution for your issues. We're not getting this behavior, we can't find a way to trigger this behavior ... and yea, that totally sucks.

I've been stuck with an issue or two that affected only a very small group of users, and so I've been through this myself for a full version of the app. I understand exactly what you're feeling. And it's frustrating not having something that just helps.

There's several others of the main experienced thinkers of this forum who haven't chimed in, and from long experience here, that means they haven't had an idea that would work either.

I'm curious as to whether if you worked within 2019, this would still happen. Though migrating projects backward is possible, it's a bit of a pain. But if you were able to work, at least that would be better.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the engineers to replicate the bug many times over throughout the process of troubleshooting it. They were puzzled and offered me no solution. I ended up showin gthem the workaround so they could help other users.

A combination of generated text, scaled images, and overlays will trigger it. You can make a small tweak, then change it back to get around the bug, but that doesn't eliminate the issue all together. 

I've seen you making condescending replies to others who have posted about this same issue, so to act as if it's isolated to just me is pretty disingenuous at best.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/gpu-render-error-unable-to-preces-frame/m-p/9984908?page...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never seen Neil be condescending here. Maybe I missed it but you seem to
forget that we're just trying to help and we ain't being paid...
There are things in this thread that do set the alarms ringing. The fact
that you haven't mentioned that adobe engineers were able to replicate the
issue til now for example. If you just want to vent go ahead, if you want
some help...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen If you Don't have a solution ot the problem, don't comment with hypotheticals.

@dale5E37 Help me replicate what you're facing if you can. Just a sequence of the worlk flow that has lead up to this. I am a SE by profession, and have been scripting for PP2020 for automated worlkflows - I may be able to check the process cores and see what's what. Let me know; we'll get to the bottom of this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sequence is 23.976 3840x2160 UHD, the part of the sequence that fails to export has a piece of R3D footage at 23.976 and UHD 3840x2160 on track 1, a color matte set to 30% opacity on track 2, a .png graphic that is 6000x6000 scaled down to fit the frame above that on track 3, then generated text on layer 4.

This is the plate at the end of a commercial that is darkened to make the graphic and text stick out from the footage behind it. I've made about a dozen of these commercials and this portion always causes it to fail.

We can replicate it 100% of the time when dealing with Adobe support, that's how it got escalated to their highest support level. Same problem, three unresolved tickets.

If I turn on hardware encoding, turn off a layer, or scale/move the footage it allows it to export it one time in that session alone. The problem is that when you are dealing with multiple revisions, and multiple exports you have to do the workarounds again and again.

I doubt anyone has a fix, so I'm really just hoping to get Adobe to add to known issues and work on a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dale,

Sorry to have offended, but there was no condescension in my thoughts or comments.

And thank you for the last couple posts, they've been very helpful in showing the precise steps where the problem occurs, and the information that engineers have replicated this. There are a couple people around here probably already trying this process as you've laid it for us.

For clarification, I wasn't at all saying this wasn't anyone but you. If you notice my post, I referred to having been one of a small group with a particular issue. As I expected you would be with this. And that does get right to the practicality of the issue. If this is something that only affects a small percentage out of hundreds of thousands, it simply isn't that high on the "crucial" list.

I think that's a good share of the unfixed nature of this problem. Is it maddening? Yea, terribly so. Do I understand your situation? Sure do. Should it get fixed? Of course. And knowing several of the engineers, they are often quite as frustrated with this sort of crud as the users. However ... they only have so many hours, and work according to the main priorities of the day.

Which when you're on the bug-end of something, sucks. As I've noted ... been there. One huge thing for my workflow hasn't been fixed for three years now. Yea, I get the frustration.

To Blaclef ... I'm as practical as anyone around here actually. And when no one has any direct practical thing to try, then ... checking through hypotheticals is the next part of the process.

I'm so practical I'm also one of the first ones around here to bring up the fancy hammer thing. These apps are nothing but tool, fancy hammers. If they aren't working as you need, you may need to check out another tool. Most of us do use other tools at times.

And we would prefer for our "main" tool to simply work right. But if it doesn't, and the issues continue, at some point practicality doth suggest looking at alternatives.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

I really appreciate the response. And the interest in replicating/resolving the issue. I'm just hoping that at some point it gets the attention of the Adobe engineers because I love using Premiere and love using linked comps across the suite, but the stability issues are getting to the point where our studio and other professionals I speak with regularly are all taking a serious look at Resolve as a way to "resolve" these issues... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I tried the latest nVidia drivers and 14.7 today, just to see if some of the issue had been fixed. 14.7 crashes like crazy, the playback blackout upon pause issue still exists. At least I tried though...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most updates require better hardware so if you're system was marginal with the earlier version, it may become unusable with the update.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Also, there are some basic steps that should be taken after an update, like resetting preferences and clearing caches.  You might also try creating a new project and importing the older one rather than just opening it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you're having these problems.  Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  Maybe there's a clue there.  We're not adobe employees here although Adobe employees do drop in occasionally.  Clearly most people are not experiencing these issues and I can't remember seeing any posts from others reporting these problems.    I'm running 14.0.3 on my macbookpro at home.  Won't be in the studio til Wednesday and will see what version I'm running in Windows...  Sucks that Adobe doesn't allow you to install earlier versions..   Are you saying that when you generate titles using the text tool within premiere, you have the same issue as with pngs and jpegs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and can you tell us your source properties and sequence settings?  It's never easy to troubleshoot from a distance and sometimes it's something obvious that we're not asking or you're not telling...  Not saying you're purposely leaving stuff out, just saying there's a lot that can cause issues...  All I can say is I've been working intensively in Premier for the last 4 years with out any serious issues ... that weren't caused by operator error... or limitations in my hardware.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CPU: Intel i7-10700k

RAM: 64 gb ddr4

GPU: RTX 2060 

SSD: Samsung 980 pro 1TB m.2 NVME SSD for os and programs

Yes, generating titles within premiere. Same issue whether using .png, .jpg, or linked .psd files. 

UHD sequences, with default setting, and with ProRes 422HQ previews.

I've tried every version from 14.0 to the current one (14.7) and this bug exists across all versions. Not just my machine, but several other editors with different computers as well. Mostly Windows users but a couple MacBooks as well. All having the same issues with exports.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec are the sources?  And have you tried seeing if the same thing happens with 1080?  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dale5E37 AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not dependent upon the footage, it happens with everything I throw at it. And as I've stated above it is a bug that's easy to duplicate whenever you use text and images. Adobe's senior engineers (escalated to a third level) have not been able to resolve it either. It happens no matter the resolution we try to export at. However, our clients expect 4K deliverables.

The footage we work with are from several different cameras:

R3D-RED cinema cameras

.MXF XAVC-Sony FS7

.mp4 with .h264 encoding-Sony a7III and a7SIII

.mov with .h265 encoding-Panasonic S1H

My biggest issue is that after like 7 or more updates I have several unresolved tickets that have been escalated to the highest level, and yet Adobe still refuses to add any of these issues to the list of know issues to prioritize a fix. When you edit 8-10 hours a day every day, and these issues persist on every machine we have, it become more that just a headache at this point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the kinds of issues that drive us all nuts, right?

As with mgrenadier's comments, I'm not having this issue nor have I on any 14.x release of either shipping or public beta versions. It's not something I've seen except for a couple situations where they had something goofy had gone on in the sequence. Fixed that, the export goes fine.

They have had an issue for some users where if a control surface, either audio (Mackie/Behrenger and such) or color (Tangent, Palette, Loupedeck) where some users could get odd reactions from Premiere.

I'm at a loss past that with this issue.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines