Highlighted

Premiere 2020 black screen - reoccurring issue

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our video editing machine is having continual issues with the black screen / no timeline playback issue.  I am running out of ideas to fix the issue after endless googling and troubleshooting... any further ideas would be appreciated.

Specific issue:

• Black screen in playback
  • Timeline doesn't move
  • Audio plays
  • Premiere process will not close properly (must be End-Tasked) no matter how long you wait (closes properly when this issue is not occurring)

This issue affects the whole program (usually) not specific projects.  I.e., when it occurs, the whole program will be unusable until we can fix it.  The projects will still work on other machines.

We are currently on nVidia Studio drivers ver. 441.12 (I'll once again be trying to update to the latest after the user is done with other work on the machine, but changing drivers hasn't previously seemed ot have any effect)

Projects are usually worked on off of the dedicated 1TB nvme drive set aside for video editing/scratch disks in the machine (I was also going to throw a spare 512GB nvme in to dedicate to scratch disks just because we don't have another use for it, but I don't want to play with too many variables before figuring out the issue...).  However, projects being on the network or local doesn't seem to make a difference, the Black Screen issue just started again, and the files were on the network, last time they were local.

• Switching Mercury Playback GPU acceleration on or off has no effect.
  • Trashing preferences has no effect.
  • Clearing media cache manually sometimes does, I don't want to have to do this every couple of days though... want to figure out what's causing corruption...
  • Disabling antivirus seems to have no effect.
  • Resetting workspaces has no effect.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling premiere with the CC Cleaner tool has no effect (this apparently still doesn't remove media cache files???)

• Memtest 86 was run by us and our IT company and found no issues with the RAM.
  • Our IT company found no issues with the SSDs or other hardware, and performed every cleanup they could on the machine.  This worked for about three days and the issue reoccurred.

System:

Win 10 pro 1906 update (issue occured on previous updates as well)

i9-9900k

64GB 3200mhz Ram

RTX 2080

512GB SSD Samsung 860 EVO (OS)

1TB SSD Samsung 960 EVO NVME (For project files / cache / scratch disks)

Anyone else having similar issues with (I assume?) the media cache getting constantly corrupted in Premiere 2020?  Or with black screens occuring repeatedly affecting the whole program not just specific projects, and seemingly not just connected to Mercury GPU playback?

Other troubleshooting steps we haven't thought of, maybe?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere 2020 black screen - reoccurring issue

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our video editing machine is having continual issues with the black screen / no timeline playback issue.  I am running out of ideas to fix the issue after endless googling and troubleshooting... any further ideas would be appreciated.

Specific issue:

• Black screen in playback
  • Timeline doesn't move
  • Audio plays
  • Premiere process will not close properly (must be End-Tasked) no matter how long you wait (closes properly when this issue is not occurring)

This issue affects the whole program (usually) not specific projects.  I.e., when it occurs, the whole program will be unusable until we can fix it.  The projects will still work on other machines.

We are currently on nVidia Studio drivers ver. 441.12 (I'll once again be trying to update to the latest after the user is done with other work on the machine, but changing drivers hasn't previously seemed ot have any effect)

Projects are usually worked on off of the dedicated 1TB nvme drive set aside for video editing/scratch disks in the machine (I was also going to throw a spare 512GB nvme in to dedicate to scratch disks just because we don't have another use for it, but I don't want to play with too many variables before figuring out the issue...).  However, projects being on the network or local doesn't seem to make a difference, the Black Screen issue just started again, and the files were on the network, last time they were local.

• Switching Mercury Playback GPU acceleration on or off has no effect.
  • Trashing preferences has no effect.
  • Clearing media cache manually sometimes does, I don't want to have to do this every couple of days though... want to figure out what's causing corruption...
  • Disabling antivirus seems to have no effect.
  • Resetting workspaces has no effect.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling premiere with the CC Cleaner tool has no effect (this apparently still doesn't remove media cache files???)

• Memtest 86 was run by us and our IT company and found no issues with the RAM.
  • Our IT company found no issues with the SSDs or other hardware, and performed every cleanup they could on the machine.  This worked for about three days and the issue reoccurred.

System:

Win 10 pro 1906 update (issue occured on previous updates as well)

i9-9900k

64GB 3200mhz Ram

RTX 2080

512GB SSD Samsung 860 EVO (OS)

1TB SSD Samsung 960 EVO NVME (For project files / cache / scratch disks)

Anyone else having similar issues with (I assume?) the media cache getting constantly corrupted in Premiere 2020?  Or with black screens occuring repeatedly affecting the whole program not just specific projects, and seemingly not just connected to Mercury GPU playback?

Other troubleshooting steps we haven't thought of, maybe?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 28, 2019 2
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here ! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience a similar black screen issue also.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem her on CC 2020 but whilst capturing from camcorder capture preview is blank but it captures video and audio OK?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Blank screen.  Then if I try to render the timeline, it takes like hours and hours.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. If I'm editing 4K 120fps H.265 footage, Premiere will lag horribly and even when I'm just moving files within the Project Folder, Premiere will black screen for about 2-5 seconds and when the screens come back on, Premiere is closed with the file unsaved. It quite literally makes Premiere unusable. I'm not even editing, just moving files in the Project window, and yet I get "Unable to Create Image Buffer" errors all the time and even after following other threads and resetting the paging file, no luck. I've disabled font syncing (which did fix a RAM spiking issue I was having), changed Memory preferences to optimize for Memory instead of Performance, I've tried proxies, I've updated all my drivers on my PC, and I store all footage on a separate SSD when I'm editing so the read speeds should be sufficient enough to edit from. Pretty unfortunate. Just got this PC this week hoping it would help, but now I'm looking at having to transcode all 10TB of my h.265 footage to ProRes and buy 40TB more storage while I'm at it..

My system:

Windows 10 Pro (latest update)

i9-9900k

32GB 2666mhz Ram

RTX 2060 Super

500GB M.2 NVME (OS)

1TB SSD (For project files/cache)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0