• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2020 lagging, crashing, saying off-line media and all that good stuff

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely frustrated and dissatisfied with Premiere Pro's performance. 
I started working on a feature length UHD documentary months and months ago. 
First on Premiere Pro 2014 with and older PC, which was almost impossible, so I switched to Premiere Pro 2018 with a newer PC, which made things a tiny bit easier until something went wrong there too, and now on the same newer PC with Adobe 2020.
It was fine for a couple of days, until it started lagging, crashing and basically made the whole experience a living hell again. 
It's indescribably nerve wrecking and Kafkaesque finding the time to plan, coordinate and shoot all the material, just to realize I basically can't do anything with it because I'm are held hostage by some nondescript technical issue.
It's simply NOT possible to not being able to work on some personal project if you don't have the budget of a huge production company with NASA computers.
I'm done with my rant but I will keep nagging you until I don't have a clear answer.
These are the technical specs of my 1200 euro PC, which apparently isn't enough:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 pro 64-bit
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM: 32,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown (16-18-18-38)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) (AM4)
GRAPHICS: PHL 240P4QPY (1920x1200@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (ASUStek Computer Inc)
STORAGE: 111GB KINGSTON SA400M8120G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 29 °C
953GB Sabrent (Unknown (SSD))
4657GB Western Digital WD Game Drive USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 37 °C
119GB Generic MassStorageClass USB Device (USB )

Thank you for your patience.
And no, I'm not working with proxies at the moment, they eat up a lot of space.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm storaging all my material (4tb of UHD footage) on an external HD, yes I know about bottleneck and all that, but I don't have an extra kidney to sell in order to afford internal disks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your external drives USB3 (and connected to USB3 ports)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You system is as strong as the weakest link.

Your external driver is it a ssd or spinning drive.

UHD requires at least 4 gig of VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You system is as strong as the weakest link" does it mean my PC is crap, in layman's terms?

the external hard disk is a Western Digital WD Game Drive, as specified in the technical specs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the "weakest link" thing now, as a non native speaker I wasn't familiar with the expression 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6144mb of dedicated video memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must have misread: 2047 mb

As for non native speaker: so am I. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shows, because now I don't get what you mean by "must have misread". Misread what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antonio,

Sorry for the frustation. I can relate. It's an older project that you've worked hard on over these past years. You can corrupt the project over time, though, just from updating Premiere Pro and running your project over the past few years. It sounds like that is what's going on. What's the fix? Many people create a wholly new project, and then import the legacy project into it. After reconnecting media, if necessary, your new project should function better. Can you try this? It certainly can't hurt.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should have clearified that since the upgrading from a version to another didn't work, I already started from scratch on premiere 2020, which was already unnerving per se. It worked fine for a bit, but after a few days it started acting weird, slowing down, lagging and crashing, making it impossible to proceed further. That already happened with previous versions of Premiere and the old PC, but know I hoped all of that was solved. Clearly, it's not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines