• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2020: Parts of a video start flickering after import

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to put a couple of videos together that I recorded on my iPhone 7 (didn't use any extra gadgets whatsoever, everything filmed on iPhone). When I watch the recorded video on my iPhone it looks good, when I watch it on my computer in QuickTime or any other video software it looks good. When I drag the video into Premiere, it starts flickering, not throughout, only from time to time. It doesn't happen to all videos I import, only some (roughly speaking, of 6 imported videos 1 will have that flickering problem going on).

Because I can't find a solution to this issue my only "workaround" so far is to use those videos that don't flicker and edit them in Premiere on my computer, then export, then move that file to my iPhone, from where I can add in the parts of the videos that would flicker in Premiere. Needless to say, it is very tedious to do, takes a lot of time, and often I run into the problem that my space on the iPhone isn't enough to import the partly edited Premiere file mp4.

I am using .mov files and am editing on my macOS Catalina 10.15.7 using Premiere Pro 2020. Thank you for your time in helping me out with this issue, really appreciated!

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

iPhone footage is known to be variable framerate, which is not properly supported by NLEs such as Premiere Pro.

Please use Handbrake or Edit-Ready (Mac) to change the variable framerate in fixed framerate (25fps or 29,97), using Placebo quality setting.

This will most likely solve your issue. Flickering could also be the result of a mismatch between your camera's shutter speed setting (should be 1/50th or 1/60th) and the lights used (50Hz, 60Hz or some whacky other number).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone footage is known to be variable framerate, which is not properly supported by NLEs such as Premiere Pro.

Please use Handbrake or Edit-Ready (Mac) to change the variable framerate in fixed framerate (25fps or 29,97), using Placebo quality setting.

This will most likely solve your issue. Flickering could also be the result of a mismatch between your camera's shutter speed setting (should be 1/50th or 1/60th) and the lights used (50Hz, 60Hz or some whacky other number).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks much, this did the trick. In case someone else runs into the same issue, I used Handbrake and changed Framerate to 29.97, and selected 'constant framerate' (screenshot attached below). After dragging the new file into Premiere, the flickering was gone.

Interestingly, out of curiosity I dragged the old corresponding file into Premiere after that again, and the flickering was gone as well! (no idea why that would be the case)

Richard, if you don't mind, could you be so kind to have a look at this post and see if you have any advice?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-2020-audio-amp-video-don-t-sync-after-export/td...

Based on my research it seems to be related to the issue of the video being shot using an iPhone, so I tried to convert all the videos as you suggested above using HandBrake, but the issue still persists. Any thoughts? Thank you!

HandBrake.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines