Premiere Adds Colour Overlay After Rendering

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video looks normal during editing but once the render is complete the file has a colour overlay on top of it. How do I get rid of this?ColourScreenshot.PNG

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Community Beginner , Jan 28, 2021
Tomas5CBE Community Beginner , Jan 28, 2021
A customer service rep was able to help me fix this issue. They deleted the cache, reset the preferences to default and edited the sequence and export settings.In the sequence settings under video previews they set it to QuickTime and DNxHR/DNxHD Codec.In the export settings they checked the "use previews" box.This helped and I am no longer experiencing this issue.Hope this helps someone who might also be experiencing this.

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing it?

Does it have the 'overlay" if you import the exported video into Premiere Pro and view it in Pemiere Pro?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just viewing it as a file, through the "movies and TV" pogram for Windows.
Tried importing the exported video back into premiere and yes, it does have the "overlay"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see a difference between the images on my tablet. But ... it seems you are comparing the image inside Premiere with the image of some player outside of Premiere. Very easy to check your color management ... bring the file back into Premiere. If it looks the same as the sequence, it's your color management that needs attention.

Because if you haven't set the color management for your system, this will happen. Color management in computer life is a morass. I teach color work to pro colorists, folks with more money spent on their calibration hardware than most of us spend on our entire system. And they live and breath color management to get their system working right, and to get their clients judging images on something at least CLOSE to correct.

Very, very few systems are correctly setup outta the box. No Macs, as the Colorsync utility in Macs applies some odd and unique settings for Rec.709. And few PC/Android devices also. Interestingly, some iPads are pretty good for color managment.

Premiere is hard-wired to run according to video broadcast specs, which are the specs for nearly all video other than the new HDR and for theatrical release in the two professional P3 spaces. And no, the new Apple "Display P3" is not a professional color space.

Rec.709 is: sRGB color primaries, Rec.709 profile including applying both the camera and display transforms, gamma 2.4 (2.2 ok for 'bright room viewing conditions'), D65 white point, brightness of 100 nits.

If your monitors are calibrated for this with a good puck/software, then you're half way there. You only have to worry about all the apps messing with the image. And most players and browsers do mess with the image "to improve the viewing experience". You have to go into their settings and figure out and turn off all the "image enhancement" crud.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this only started happening recently. Before the colours would match in premiere and whatever other program I'm using to view my files from. 

This new "overlay" is also consistent across any software or device I view it from. If I upload it to YouTube - I see the "overlay". It I send it to my phone via a messaging app - I see the "overlay". 

Also, when I bring the file back into premiere it still has this "overlay". 
I suspect something is adding it during the rendering process, I just can't figure out what. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Tomas!

I would troubleshoot the issue by exporting a section in Mercury Playback Engine Software Only in Project Settings > General. Can you try that? What happens?

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this. Same result 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we need some information: what's the format/codec of the the clip involved, what effects have you applied on the sequence, whether you're using Max Render Q and Max Depth (which you probably shouldn't), whether you have composite in linear color checked/unchecked in the Sequence settings, and of course what you are doing with the export settings.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand everything you're asking, I'm not very experienced in this. But I'll try to answer!
There is a video (mp4) and an audio (mp3) on the timeline, I'm exporting it to an mp4 (H.264).
There are no effects on the sequence.
Maximum render and maximum depth are unchecked in the sequence settings.
The linear color is checked in sequence settings
Render settings in photo attached. I looked at the "effects" tab - everything is unchecked.ExportSettings.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried unchecking the maximum render quality in the export settings. Didn't change anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a puzzler. Simply exporting the file, with "re-import into Premiere" checked, they should match perfectly.

First question now: is this a direct from Premiere export, or are you queueing over to MediaEncoder?

Second: is anything checked in the Effects tab of the Export dialog?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a direct export. There was nothing checked on the Effects tab. 
I have since fixed this issue. A customer service rep helped me over remote access. I will update in a separate comment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tomas5CBE What happens if you set the Performance to Software Encoding in the Export Settings dialog?

Soft.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A customer service rep was able to help me fix this issue. 
They deleted the cache, reset the preferences to default and edited the sequence and export settings.
In the sequence settings under video previews they set it to QuickTime and DNxHR/DNxHD Codec.
In the export settings they checked the "use previews" box.
This helped and I am no longer experiencing this issue.
Hope this helps someone who might also be experiencing this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines