• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere and Media Encoder freezing routinely

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on about 10 large sequences (1-2 hours each). exclusively avchd/mp4 files (c100 mk2 files) and legacy titles. I don't have the issue on other projects with different codec media. Only these avchd files that go longer than 30 minutes or so.

If I leave my desk for longer than 20-30 minutes, I return to premiere frozen (spinning blue circle) and have to hard kill the program and restart it (no reboot needed).

When exporting to AME queue, it only get between 20-70 percent the first job and then freeze up in the same manner. But it appears the export continues in the background because, given enough time to finish, the file is done without issue--but only the first, it doesn't continue to the next job. Another interesting thing, is that if premiere is playing a sequence without interruption for longer than 10 minutes or so, it freezes up in the same way but I can still hear audio from the sequence playing without issue, just can't do anything about it till I kill the program and relaunch it.

I've tried uninstalling the whole suite and using the adobe cc cleaner. Updated windows, updating adobe, updated gpu drivers, I also just updated to CC 2018 this morning and I'm still getting identical symptoms. I also swapped out my RAM sticks and GPU to some other spares I had lying around and no difference.

Adobe CC (2018)

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel i7-5820K

GTX 1080 Ti

32 GB DDR4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched from prores to cineform and a PC and haven't had the problem

again. ( Mind you Lightroom is now crashing daily.. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... Using a maxed out 2017 MacBook Pro, Media Encoder will freeze after 5 or so proxies being rendered. Brought my footage to the office, tried same renders on a MacPro, still having the same using. Forced to shut down Media Encoder and render where I left off. Annoyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Encoder totally locks up except in between encodes for a brief moment. It does continue to encode but its totally unresponsive in the meantime and even freezes Premiere.

This is while creating proxies.

Because of these problems it's now taken me a week to simply create proxies for my client project - totally INSANE !!

MacPro 2009 latest PP and Encoder 2018 and a very upset customer !

Adobe - this is supposed to be professional software - where is your testing ? Where is support ? It's really unacceptable to be paying money every month for bug ridden software. Last month I had problems with subtitle creation (which is still broken), now this !

Please FIX your existing software before you keep adding new features Adobe !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what format are you going for when creating proxies ?

did you try to switch formats between quick time and cineform ?

did you try to ingest your own proxy settings ?

are your media all located on your local drive or working via external drives ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos

It's creating 720p Cineform files. Not tried switching between quicktime and cineform, just using the cineform.

Using the standard proxy settings from within PP, althought its marked 'custom' as the present within Encoder.

Media files are all on a External FW800 attached drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you put your media files on a local drive and try ?

Try with a few of them before copying all if you have lots...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Try switching to Apple ProRes or DNxHD codec instead of Cineform. I had tons of issues with Cineform and solved a lot of them by switching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, also making proxies (ProRes LT, UHD to 1080p resize). AME locks up after several renders. Latest Premiere Pro and AME. It does keep working in the background (about 60% CPU load), but very slowly and the UI is unresponsive (spinning beachball). There's short feedback for like 1 second when it finally renders one proxy and switches to another.

I'm on a High Sierra Hackintosh with an NVIDIA Gtx 960, but that doesn't seem to matter, since folks are getting the same performance on original Macs old and new. It looks like something gets saturated (memory, cpu?) after some completed renders and is not getting cleaned properly (I'm just guessing)?

To me this is just broken software and one that worked previously at that. There's a saying about not fixing what's not broken, but it seems that Adobe has other plans. Fix your code, Adobe, or I'm looking at FCPX or Resolve which I'd rather not, since I've gotten used to Premiere (the one that worked)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same issue on

Mac Pro 2013

3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue... creating proxys from PP, ME locks up. This is KILLING me!!!   I cut live music programing with 8+ cameras. I NEED the proxys to edit multicam. This current situation is intolerable! I should be able to set the proxys to export, get some sleep, come back to go straight to work... but there'll be none of that. I must spend a whole day baby sitting the exports. Again INTOLERABLE!!!    Come on Adobe.... get your "S" together. We pay good money EVERY month, and expect the software to work without major issues, such as this.  Because this is occurring across platforms and machines we know it's a software issue.
I was giving Adobe props just last year when this feature was working flawlessly. Now.... I'm complaining.

*******PLEASE MAKE THIS A PRIORITY*******

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing lots of issues with Adobe Media Encoder. I'm on a new fully spec'd out MacBook Pro with latest updates and I  can't even convert 4k 23.976 footage to 1080 422 LT 23.976. 

Media Encoder chugs through the first ones, then hangs and doesn't complete the rest. Took me force closing 4 times to get 15 1 min clips converted.

This needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this really only started happening to me after I upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra.

I've got the following computer and specs:

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

It freezes up consistently after doing a bare handful of exports -- it also freezes up sometimes when starting the first one.

I'm exporting various file types -- H.264, ProRes 422HQ, and MXF mostly.

This really screws up my workday. I have to force quit Encoder about 20 times every day since I'm exporting hundreds of episodes of shows for broadcast, VOD, and OTT.

The weird thing is after I moved to High Sierra and before I upgraded from 8gb ram, it wouldn't export a 90 minute movie but after I upgraded to 64gb RAM, it completed the export just fine the first time.  RAM shouldn't really be affecting this since it's likely a coding issue or conflict with High Sierra, right?

How about it Adobe?  This is a serious persistent issue and I'm not seeing it get solved or even addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same exact problem for months and it is becoming very annoying when I need to export a batch out of Premiere. Premiere freezes every time and Media Encoder rarely gets through a queue without crashing.

Mac 10.13.5

iMac late 2014

4GHz i7

32GB ram

AMD Radeon R9

Can someone from Adobe please reply on this thread to let us know that this issue is being taken care of? Clearly many users have been having this issue for over a year and the lack of response is pretty embarrassing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, high sierra would be the problem there bud.  If you upped ram and got better performance... ...Your OS IS EATING ALL YOUR RAM!  Mac OS takes 8-12gb just to boot up anymore, and half of that can come from your main drive paging file (swapfile).  Unfortunately, this isn't just a mac issue.

I'm on win10 and this happens when I export h.264 always.  It is a coding issue.  It has something to do with permissions of the apps.  When you run in a ROOTLESS mode, things that take a ROOT access level need to be set to use that level or they fail.  In other words, run as admin on windows and most of the time you're golden.  Unfortunately, there are some third party drivers at fault as well.  THey run in low modes, and will fail.  Of course they are the drivers for hard disks and disk accessor methods, or connection protocols.  Thus, you will freeze if you use anything other than your main drive to store or otherwise utilize these programs.  The main drive is a location with root access, as it litterally IS the root.  I've never had a freeze using it until I filled it almost 80%, and even then it was still functioning enough for me to quit apps.  Now I get a solid system freeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im coming back to this post again after two month to see if there's been any progress. I'm about to embark on another big project and terrified that il only be able to transcode 10 proxies at a time with no UI response. ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to convert .mxf or .mts files to a more processor friendly codec for use in After Effects.   It chugs along fine and then beach balls.  Force quit and relaunch.  It then works for another random number of files and then hangs again.  Same deal over and over and over again.  So very tiring. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane, a 30 second video, which should have taken maybe 30 minutes to encode, a week later nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The run as admin has been working clean again...

Latest update to 2019 started the problem again, but I set all to run as admin in their launcher exe in program files, bingo.  No freeze.

I don't know the equivalent of this on mac, but I'll look it up and see if I can't help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines