Highlighted

Premiere and mini-DV footage

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks...

Wondering if Premiere or Premiere Pro accepts mini-DV's .M2T file format? I want to capture a ton of personal footage and save the files as .MOVs. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export, Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere and mini-DV footage

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks...

Wondering if Premiere or Premiere Pro accepts mini-DV's .M2T file format? I want to capture a ton of personal footage and save the files as .MOVs. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export, Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac? Usually DV files are captured as .MOV from jump, not .M2T.

WM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to use my Win 10 box since it's older and still has FW800 ports -- my camera has FW800 out. (My 2017 iMac only has USB-3 and Thunderbolt ports.)

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows captures mini dv as dv-avi (about 13 gig/hour)

Mini dv can also carry HDV which is either .mpeg (Premiere) or m2t (HDV split).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right... and the program I've been using to capture, HDV Split, captures in .M2T format. I guess I have two questions then:

1. Can Premiere or Premiere Pro capture high-def, mini-DV footage from a 12yo Canon Vixia HV30? 

2. If not, can it open those files captured by HDV Split and convert them to, say, .MOVs? 

Thanks much. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. yes (I have the HV20)

2. why do you need to convert to mov. m2t is mpeg2.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I noticed that QT Player could not play the files (at least, the version in Windows 10, anyway). I want them in a format that has some amount of universal playback capability. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not use QT on windows but rather VLC or MMP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my main domestic platform is Mac OS. I use Windows only for work-related stuff. So, for archiving and viewing personal videos, I'd prefer a Mac solution. I can only capture the video on my PC, but I just want to be able to play it back on my Mac. 

It seems Premiere’s the way to go, yes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0