• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC 13 vs Resolve 15 scrubbing comparison 4k h264

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, scrubbing is basically non-existent in Adobe Premiere, but runs like butter in Resolve.
It's most frustrating because I do want to use Adobe Premiere and would prefer it over Resolve. Yes of course I can make proxies but that defeats the purpose of having fast modern hardware that can handle new compression formats.

Adobe, please fix this. If a free application can perform this much better with h264, doesn't that suggest you are doing something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my edit computer about 5 years old. was kinda powerful for the time and is still OK now for new stuff ( higher res etc.) using CS6 1080p.

DNxHD, 10 bit. originally, and proxies or transcode for new stuff. It's just a tool and it either works or not for your needs.

I understand what you mean, though... cause learning a new UI and feeling comfortable with the new tool takes time and tutorials and reading, etc.

good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're all pushing for better playback and your example is pretty spiffy.

The two apps have very different backgrounds and build concepts let alone code & such. And also remember BM makes software to sell hardware.

You wanna do a full-screen monitor? Sure ... buy their Decklink card and run the monitor out of that. Only a hundred and some change. Run a surface? If it ain't one of theirs, they limit what it can connect to and do. And they've sold a fair number of $30,000 versions of Resolve that "come with" the full Resolve panel.

Which is useless with any other software  naturally.

So yea, I use Resolve some as for some things it's definitely better. And mostly work in Pr. Especially as Resolve uses very little of my Elements surface, and I can't remap controls as I can in Pr.

Post this over on the UserVoice system,  which goes directly to the engineers system. Let them get this example also. I'm on my phone or I'd add the link but it's on the Overview page of this forum.

Now ... I have had discussions with those who wanted Pr to have an "optimized media" feature like Resolve rather than creating proxies. They didn't realize that "optimize media" is Resolve-speak for "create proxies".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good test, I can confirm the results. In particular I'm using 4K from an AX53 at XAVCS 60Mbps this in a 1080p sequence.

With turning off the proxies I get the same results as you do in PP, but with the proxies on I get the same result as you do in the Resolve playback.

Your post is regards h264, but as you probably know scrubbing ProRes works like Resolve in your example.

Here's a link to the UserVoice system Neil mentioned. Post back the link here, if you put in a request there and we can up vote it.

Premiere Pro: Hot (3647 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Do include your demo as it's compelling and clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve uses the GPU for decoding, Premiere Pro uses the CPU, so that difference is understandable.

But even in Resolve, I still find the performance of proxies superior, especially at 4K and once effects come into play.

So in both programs, I believe proxies are the best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you place this request on the user voice site. The devs definitely need to be aware of this issue: Premiere Pro: Hot (3654 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I was happy to upvote it ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, I must've added my reply a bit later. Cheers.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot scrub efficiently with Resolve too from h264 / 4K DCI / 10 bit clips. Resolve 15 have many issues, it is still a beta software from my POV, crashes, projects losses, "Out of memory" errors... Not ready for production.

H264/265 are BROADCASTING codecs, not EDITING codecs. There are plenty of users on the web complaining about the same problems with theses codecs. These codecs are NOT made for editing. Period.

The only exception is the ALL-Intra h264 codec (like the one provided in the GH5 for example). Anyway, only amateur cameras are still providing h264/265 codecs, because this is easier to handle for customers (Old and expensive SD cards instead of modern and cheap SSDs). All my cameras are shooting with RAW and ALL-Intra codecs (DNxHR, ProRes). There is no problem for scrubbing very quickly and efficiently with these codecs, they are made for that (they are just a serie of full pictures in JPEG or JPEG2000, it is easy to decode any frame at any time, unlike with h264/265).

Broadcasting codecs are made for sequential reading, they requires more computer power for random reading. With ALL-Intra codecs, you can edit on a more modest machine and you can scrub easily.

When I have to edit h264/265 footage (rarely), i always trancode it to an ALL-Intra codec before editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having had experience editing RAW and ProRes, I don't think I'll ever buy an H.264 camera again myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After 2 years, can confirm this issue is finally fixed in Premiere 14.5.

I am able to get smooth playback and scrubbing and GPU usage goes to 70-80% during scrubbing to accomodate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines