Highlighted

Premiere CC 13 vs Resolve 15 scrubbing comparison 4k h264

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, scrubbing is basically non-existent in Adobe Premiere, but runs like butter in Resolve.
It's most frustrating because I do want to use Adobe Premiere and would prefer it over Resolve. Yes of course I can make proxies but that defeats the purpose of having fast modern hardware that can handle new compression formats.

Adobe, please fix this. If a free application can perform this much better with h264, doesn't that suggest you are doing something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere CC 13 vs Resolve 15 scrubbing comparison 4k h264

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, scrubbing is basically non-existent in Adobe Premiere, but runs like butter in Resolve.
It's most frustrating because I do want to use Adobe Premiere and would prefer it over Resolve. Yes of course I can make proxies but that defeats the purpose of having fast modern hardware that can handle new compression formats.

Adobe, please fix this. If a free application can perform this much better with h264, doesn't that suggest you are doing something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 19, 2018 0
Guide ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my edit computer about 5 years old. was kinda powerful for the time and is still OK now for new stuff ( higher res etc.) using CS6 1080p.

DNxHD, 10 bit. originally, and proxies or transcode for new stuff. It's just a tool and it either works or not for your needs.

I understand what you mean, though... cause learning a new UI and feeling comfortable with the new tool takes time and tutorials and reading, etc.

good luck !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're all pushing for better playback and your example is pretty spiffy.

The two apps have very different backgrounds and build concepts let alone code & such. And also remember BM makes software to sell hardware.

You wanna do a full-screen monitor? Sure ... buy their Decklink card and run the monitor out of that. Only a hundred and some change. Run a surface? If it ain't one of theirs, they limit what it can connect to and do. And they've sold a fair number of $30,000 versions of Resolve that "come with" the full Resolve panel.

Which is useless with any other software  naturally.

So yea, I use Resolve some as for some things it's definitely better. And mostly work in Pr. Especially as Resolve uses very little of my Elements surface, and I can't remap controls as I can in Pr.

Post this over on the UserVoice system,  which goes directly to the engineers system. Let them get this example also. I'm on my phone or I'd add the link but it's on the Overview page of this forum.

Now ... I have had discussions with those who wanted Pr to have an "optimized media" feature like Resolve rather than creating proxies. They didn't realize that "optimize media" is Resolve-speak for "create proxies".

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good test, I can confirm the results. In particular I'm using 4K from an AX53 at XAVCS 60Mbps this in a 1080p sequence.

With turning off the proxies I get the same results as you do in PP, but with the proxies on I get the same result as you do in the Resolve playback.

Your post is regards h264, but as you probably know scrubbing ProRes works like Resolve in your example.

Here's a link to the UserVoice system Neil mentioned. Post back the link here, if you put in a request there and we can up vote it.

Premiere Pro: Hot (3647 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Do include your demo as it's compelling and clear.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve uses the GPU for decoding, Premiere Pro uses the CPU, so that difference is understandable.

But even in Resolve, I still find the performance of proxies superior, especially at 4K and once effects come into play.

So in both programs, I believe proxies are the best option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 1