Premiere CC original video slow playback

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the latest Premiere CC installed, and I am on a brand new top of the line computer. The original video plays perfectly in any video playback software.

In premiere, some original video is playing back wonky. All VOB files seem to be doing it, and random MOV/MP4 files. I've tested this glitch with originally filmed videos and ripped files.

I import the original video and premiere plays it back slow. The audio plays at regular speed, but the video is slowed down, and even repeats frames at times. It does this in the timeline, preview window, and source window.

So far I can only fix this issue by manually hacking the video to pieces and adjusting the speed every few seconds to get it to match up to the audio again. If I don't, either the audio ends ages before the footage, or the footage skips and jumps to end at the same time (though the sound is never in sync with the video).

As noted, it's generally random. In the same project, I'll have twenty clips that play just fine with no issues, so it seems to be some odd issues happening between the program and some files, but I don't know why those files. When testing with original footage, it was all shot on the same day with the same device. The only consistent glitch seems to happen with VOB files: those always glitch in this manner.

I tried a few suggestions I found online including trying various frame rates (though this should only impact stuff on the timeline, not the issue happening in the source window anyway), audio device playback set to "no input," mercury playback settings, and Adobe DV playback. Nothing has any impact on this issue.

I noticed there seems to be a range of issues that can happen with VOB, so I will explore some of those later, but, as noted, the issue also happens with original footage (I tested the VOB after encountering this issue with my original content to see if the issue occurred with other video). The video I am trying to edit is original interview footage.

Thoughts?

TIA.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

iPhone media is all VFR, and there's much available on the difference between VFR and CAR. VFR means the 'set frame rate is a target only, depending on the detail level and motion of the scene the camera will use a lower frame-rate when it can.

Looking at a "30fps" clip in MediaInfo it will often show thar range of fps will be from 24.3 to 31.2 or something similar.

Most of us routinely transcode our VFR using Handbrake's conversions and if set right you will be fine.

On the video tab both check the CFR box and set a specific number frame-rate. Set "level" to 4.2 and compression to near placebo.

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere CC original video slow playback

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the latest Premiere CC installed, and I am on a brand new top of the line computer. The original video plays perfectly in any video playback software.

In premiere, some original video is playing back wonky. All VOB files seem to be doing it, and random MOV/MP4 files. I've tested this glitch with originally filmed videos and ripped files.

I import the original video and premiere plays it back slow. The audio plays at regular speed, but the video is slowed down, and even repeats frames at times. It does this in the timeline, preview window, and source window.

So far I can only fix this issue by manually hacking the video to pieces and adjusting the speed every few seconds to get it to match up to the audio again. If I don't, either the audio ends ages before the footage, or the footage skips and jumps to end at the same time (though the sound is never in sync with the video).

As noted, it's generally random. In the same project, I'll have twenty clips that play just fine with no issues, so it seems to be some odd issues happening between the program and some files, but I don't know why those files. When testing with original footage, it was all shot on the same day with the same device. The only consistent glitch seems to happen with VOB files: those always glitch in this manner.

I tried a few suggestions I found online including trying various frame rates (though this should only impact stuff on the timeline, not the issue happening in the source window anyway), audio device playback set to "no input," mercury playback settings, and Adobe DV playback. Nothing has any impact on this issue.

I noticed there seems to be a range of issues that can happen with VOB, so I will explore some of those later, but, as noted, the issue also happens with original footage (I tested the VOB after encountering this issue with my original content to see if the issue occurred with other video). The video I am trying to edit is original interview footage.

Thoughts?

TIA.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

iPhone media is all VFR, and there's much available on the difference between VFR and CAR. VFR means the 'set frame rate is a target only, depending on the detail level and motion of the scene the camera will use a lower frame-rate when it can.

Looking at a "30fps" clip in MediaInfo it will often show thar range of fps will be from 24.3 to 31.2 or something similar.

Most of us routinely transcode our VFR using Handbrake's conversions and if set right you will be fine.

On the video tab both check the CFR box and set a specific number frame-rate. Set "level" to 4.2 and compression to near placebo.

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 09, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One idea ... if any of this is variable frame rate media (VFR) ... PrPro will have trouble syncing audio with video especially as play goes on. PrPro is built to use constant frame-rate media (CFR). You would need to convert this with probably Handbrake to CFR.

HandBrake download page:  https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

VOB files are not often used in editing ... you may need to transcode those to a more normal editing format like Cineform, DNxHD/R, or ProRes (if on Mac) to get good editing performance.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you mean by VFR as I would have thought all video has a frame rate. :S

The interview footage I need to edit was all filmed on a iPhone (various models). I was using CS4 until very recently when I upgraded the entire machine and my Adobe. I didn't have this problem before and, as noted, it's just premiere doing it. I really don't want to have to convert the videos and degrade the quality when there's nothing wrong with the videos in ANY playback software I used (I tested in several).

I am not on a Mac. I am on a PC.

I am not familiar with those other "normal" forms you listed. I've never heard of them. Unrelated to the interview problem, I do rip from DVDs as I do actor show reels for a friend. I was hoping the upgrade would mean I could use the VOB ripped files rather than the lousy mov I I had to use prior because my system couldn't handle the VOB. I want to edit in better quality. I am using DVDFab to rip (version 8. I didn't like version 9). Does handbrake do those forms you noted (I've never liked handbrake, so I haven't looked at it for years)? Are those forms only for Mac?

Guess I need to do some handbrake tutorials (grrr). Seems wrong I should have to put my original footage through another program before I can use it in premiere though. That's really frustrating.

BTW - I can't find anything on VFR as that brings up a lot of random stuff.  I haven't heard this term you're using, so I am not sure if there's some way to check if the footage needs to worry about this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 2b below will solve this.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2017 1
Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the interview footage being shot on a phone (thanks for the link though, Jim). I am not the one doing the shooting - I am just the editor. I will try the handbrake suggestion for the rare clips that are having these issues. Most of them work just as well as before, it's just the random odd one with this issue. I will have to do some research on VFR conversions and what I need to do in handbrake. Thank you. Hopefully all that gibberish you posted will make sense when I look at the actual program (ha ha). I am not tech savvy at all; the artistry of it is my thing, but I'd like to get better at the tech side so I can produce higher quality products.

What would you suggest to get the best video quality from a DVD that I can then edit in premiere? I have been using MOV for years as it works, but the quality is terrible. I was hoping the computer and adobe upgrade would mean I could use VOB files, but you've listed several forms I've never heard of at all. Does handbrake do those too or would you suggest something else? Which format would you say is best to rip in if not VOB? I assume VOB is still good for making backups though, right, since that is what the DVD is using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2017 0
Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the Handbrake interface will make more sense of it, there's not many things to set yourself.

I've not much experience trying to convert DVDs however.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2017 0
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi xenatorres,

With the latest Jan 2018 update (12.0.1), you can now work with variable frame rate (VFR) video in Premiere Pro.

More information here.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Sequence tab >> Sequence Settings

Change Timebase to 30 frames/second or more. 

Maximum render quality on this same page might help as well. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0