• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere confuses files of same name

Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing many VOB files from different DVDs in the same project.  Files from one DVD have the same files name as files from other DVDs, but placed in separate directories.  Not only does Premiere get completely confused when previewing the videos (playing video from a completely different sequence than the one selected with the play head), but it replaces the incorrect audio from wrong files when rendering... or drops the audio for certain VOB files entirely.

The only way to get Premiere to correctly reference the correct file placed on any sequence timeline is to pre-process all of my VOB files with Mpeg Streamclip, saving one large uniquely named VOB file per DVD, and importing that file into Premiere.

How is it possible that Premiere cannot handle files that have the same name?  This is beyond amateur.... Professional grade?  Really?  I'm having a hard time showing people at work that Premiere can be used in a professional environment.  I'm having to resort to using a decade old video converter (Mpeg StreamClip) to read and correct issues that Premiere completely chokes on.

Combined with the horrible extremely slow import bug that plagues large projects, and the decade old 'Unknown Error' encountered by many during export, Adobe is showing that their software is not professional grade and cannot be counted on in work environments.  But what choice do I have?  Sony Vegas became horribly buggy 5 years ago, pushing me to Adobe Premiere.  Avid Media Composer?  Software standards, with the advent of never-ending patches, have turned all customers into beta testers.  This is not acceptable yet seems to be the industry norm now. 

In 4 years of my CC membership, paying an average of $75 CAD/month, I've spent over $3500 to use Premiere. Adobe is repaying loyal customers with terribly buggy software that is only getting more and more buggy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I had a similar issue: there were different files but with the same name (as I recorded on different cameras and they both use the .MTS structure). For some reason Adobe played both and I was able to use each batch (even with clips having the same names) BUT adobe only played the audio of one set of clips. Suddenly the audio of the other batch was completely gone!!! I had to go through my library of clips and deleted one batch. I then batch renamed them as per your suggestion and then imported them again. It's working now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to see comments focus on the OP's problem:

"It's having problems with media files that have the same name."

It's not about the importing, or the VOB wordflow. It's about Premiere confusing the audio of files with the same name. Happens consistently with MTS files, especially in larger(?) projects, or maybe those worked on for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, I'm receiving a huge pack of files to edit. Once new versions received, of course the files are not renamed one by one. Not practical at all. And Premiere just not helping by not identifying that are different files.

Vanlazarus, it has been like a year and a half since you post this issue.. have you ever get a real solution from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the suggestion at FAQ: How to clean (delete or trash) media cache files?  Deleting the media cache files got me out of a similar problem where one file from a sequence of numbered files had been deleted externally and the remaining files had then been renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years later, this is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When many multiple files have the same names in a project, yea, it's a pain in the tushie. And you have to be careful how you ingest them into Premiere Pro for it to keep all the data straight internally.

Whether it's mts, AVCHD or this or that, the folder structure of the initial camera card (AVCHD) or other acquisition needs to be kept, so that files referenced internally together still 'see' each other. And then the whole thing needs to be ingested into PrPro using the MediaBrowser panel of PrPro.

It seems to have a better track record at getting the file data into PrPro's internal databases.

Not that this will work perfectly, but you've got a far great chance it will. Any other import process will have worse problems.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys.

Ive started to notice this issue trying to import Adobe Illustrator files into the Premiere and i kinda found out what solves  the problem. this started when i tied to import several images from exports of artboards of the same file.

all of the images no matter what the name was were imported as same document in premiere pro.

so ive decided to dig into it and got here .

however there was no answers here also.

so I tried something else. and got to the properties of the file, in the details section I noticed that they are all having the same title despite the name of the file. and by changing them my problem was all fixed.

It is stupid knowing that this bug is on adobe, either Illustrator or PP. but I suggest this workaround for u guys. maybe it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a similar issue where I have many video clips with the same name recorded from different cameras (00000.MTS), My solution has been to find the affected clips in explorer and then make a duplicate file (select file, copy, paste) Then in premiere I replace "00000.MTS" with "Copy of 00000.MTS". It works on a small number of files; when wiping the media cache didn't help. I'm not sure if it's good for a large number of files. I would probably use a bulk renaming program to change all of the media in one folder 00000.MTS > A00000.MTS and then use the replace file in premiere to swap them out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm putting my drone reel together, and DJI is infamous for having no sequential (or date-driven) file naming conventions. Closing the program and re-opening the program completely wipes all stored data on where DJI_0005.mov is being pulled from. I have dozens of projects, and re-linking them all is going to take hours if not days. I wish there was some other way to link media other than just the naming convention. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines