• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere constantly crashes when I use GPU acceleration (metal) Macbook Pro 16 inch

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was all good, until one day...

My Premiere Pro crashed about 5 minutes after I opened it. And it did it again and again. Then I switched from Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal)-Recommended to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only in File-->Project Settings-->General-->Renderer. Then it solves the problem.

I'm using Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019. Pr is updated to the latest version (Version 14.3.1, Build 45) by Adobe creative Clould

The first week when I was running Pr on this computer, everything was fine, until it's not. I don't know why I can't select GPU Acceleration (Metal) anymore. Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you trying with an old project or a fresh new one?

did you try to reset the preferences? delete media cache?

if opening a project created on a previous version, try to delete the render files.

Which MacOS are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. What is the resolution? I have trashed  preferences, removed render files and also had to resort to playback software only (not ideal). 

Brand new Mac book pro, using 2020 Premier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try deleting media cache.. if the problem persists check that you are on your latest OS update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you on your latest OS update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I deleted the media cache several times. I was on Catalina. I just updated to BIG Sur. Will test on this OS, and see. My issues occurred when creating and adjusting mask points as well as rendering and exporting with Premire and Encoder. Is the green flashing/screen tearing  and subsequent crashing something that will happen every time an update is needed? That seems off...

My MacBook is brand new (3 weeks old) should I look into getting the GPU graphics card warranty replaced by Apple? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share your system specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook pro 2019 

2.3 ghz  8 core i9 

64 gb 2667 ram

Intel uhd gfx 630

Was using Catalina, just updated to Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no discreet gfx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No effects. No plug ins. Basic masking and scaling. Green flashes and screen tearing which leads to MacBook freeze, whenever I adjust those things or render my timeline. Changing to software only renderer dsnt cause the issue. But that render option isn't ideal.

Issue Just occurred also with big Sur os system. 

Should I get the GPU replaced by Apple? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

intel integrated gfx is not enough, masking requires GPU acceleration

and should have a compatible gfx for this kind of work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Carlos, apologies... I also have an AMD Radeaon 5500MM 8GB.

I'm still getting the green flashes and crashing. Are you with Adobe? What is the solution for this problem?

Speculating....but is this likely and issue with the graphics card? I had an AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB, on my on my old iMac and never had this problem (Green flashes and crashing when masking and exporting) Or is it a setting that I need to check and fix so that Premiere  and Encoder uses the correct AMD GPU card instead?

I'd like to ge this resolved ASAP as I have some big edits coming up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

im an Adobe user just like you and we are here to help,  we are not Adobe employees...

you can try to install gfx card status, its a nice tool to check which gfx your system

is using, and you can also manually switch between them. if premiere pro is using

the integrated gfx, such green glitches and stuff are likely to happen, along with crashes.

But if premiere pro is using the discrete gfx, and having those issues, consider updating

the OS, and make sure you have the latest premiere pro update as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Brand new MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 8-Core Intel Core i9, 

4 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB.

I'm guessing it's an overheat issue since the CPU gets to 150 degrees and the GPU to 130. It's an Apple thing. I will try on my RTX 2070 PC ad see if I get the same result.

d2e2ea78-387a-4f1c-8119-2de7bcea300c.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines