• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere crashes on startup - How to troubleshoot?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CC (13.0, on Windows 10) used to work perfectly before, but now it crashes while loading up. It seems to load the plugins and crash in whatever comes after the plugins and pop up the Adobe Crash Report window. The last plugin it loads is WebM.prm but if I remove that plugin, then it just crashes after the previous plugin, which implies that plugins are not causing this.

The problem started after I had been rendering a video in Media Encoder and editing another video in Premiere for a few hours. I don't remember the exact course of events anymore, but suddenly there was some glitch in the display/graphics adapter and the screen went black for a few seconds. After it Media Encoder informed that the rendering had failed and it started rendering the next video in the que. A couple of minutes later the Windows crashed into the blue screen and restared the pc.

As a result, Premiere died permanentally. I have already spent two days reading forums and trying a lot of things but Premiere just won't launch anymore. However, the older version 12.1.2 still works but it won't of course open the projects saved in the new version. Things I've tried:

• Restart Windows
  • Reset Premiere presets during launch (Alt key)
  • Reset Premiere plugin caches during launch (Shift-Ctrl-Alt keys)
  • Re-install Premiere from Creative Cloud App
  • Remove Premiere with Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and install it again with Creative Cloud App
  • Start Premiere in Administrator mode
  • Remove "Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins" folder
  • Remove temporary files and folders in "AppData\Local\Temp" folder
  • Remove temporary files and folders in "Windows\Temp" -folder
  • Remove the project files I was editing during the crash
  • Disable the graphics adapter in Device Manager
  • Re-install the newest Nvidia drivers (416.34), which I had already before the crash
  • Send dozens of Crash Reports to Adobe
  • Cursing

I'm now in a complete dead-end here. It's possible that the BSOD was a result of an overheating pc and it corrupted some file somewhere that is not replaced by Premiere or graphics driver installation but Premiere needs that file. All other programs seem to work fine, including After Effects and Media Encoder, which were open during the crash.

So, any help troubleshooting this issue is much appreciated, like where to find relevant log files. Thank you in advance!

Basic system info:

Core i7 6800K

GeForce GTX 1070

64 GB RAM

Windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

I got Premiere back alive!

First, in order to test things, I created a new local administrator user account, signed into it and tried to open Premiere. And guess what, it started! So it meant that something in my own user account was broken.

Then, I went back to my own user account, removed all Adobe software with Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. Then I removed all remaining Adobe software using Windows App & Features. Then I renamed the following folders:

[user]\AppData\Local\Adobe

[user]\AppData\Local

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had these problems when i got my new quadro card... somehow premiere fell in love with my old pos GeForce 720 GT and when i put in my new quadro P6000 monster, adobe premiere got scared of it and crashed at launch all the time while throwing a random hex code error at me.

So i wept quietly, uninstalled premiere and reinstalled it through the cloud manager app and that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which 3rd party plugins do you have installed FOR ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS? I get a crash when PPro tries to load Video CoPilot plugins I've installed, for AE, in the "Common" folder.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have some plugins in the Common folder. However, I had tried removing them all but it didn't help. I also tried removing AE's plugins in AE's own application folder but it didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried to remove all Adobe apps and Creative Cloud using Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and then re-installing Premiere, but it doesn't help either. So, is format C: drive and re-install Windows the only option? There must be an easier way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get past the splash screen as of now. What's going on Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "Things I've tried..."

That list looks very familiar. You left out signing out and back in to the cloud desktop. Major problems getting 2019 to install and run consistently. The number of things that seemed to almost work leads to bad conclusions: it runs if you "just hold your mouth right." (Old saying from tennis.) Right now, it is running fine.

I had no hardware/crash to complicate things. If I were still doing this for income, I'd be beside myself.

I had not reinstalled Windows 10 for a long time. A reinstall did get me back up and running. Then a few weeks down the line, similar but not identical issues. In my case most recent case, disabling antivirus worked most consistently. That was on a clone where I was installing only PR and AME 2019. On the main system drive, all is okay with antivirus running. So I am still concluding that voodoo is required.

The cleaner tool did not have CC 2019 for a while. Be sure when you are doing a PR uninstall that you use the cleaner and that it is the newest version (4.3.0.22; I think 10/22/18). Also, I did not find it worked unless I was doing an uninstall back to the base (no cloud desktop) and reinstall from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input, Stan.

I tried signing out and back in to the Creative Cloud desktop app. I tried disabling antivirus software. I checked the version of the cleaner tool and it was the newest 4.3.0.22. However, nothing helped, Premiere still crashes on launch.

I also checked Windows system files with the System File Checker Tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

The tool found some corrupted files, repaired them but even that didn't bring Premiere back to life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh. Like I said, you've got to hold your mouth just right....

I'm not done testing. I'll report back if I find a cure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got Premiere back alive!

First, in order to test things, I created a new local administrator user account, signed into it and tried to open Premiere. And guess what, it started! So it meant that something in my own user account was broken.

Then, I went back to my own user account, removed all Adobe software with Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. Then I removed all remaining Adobe software using Windows App & Features. Then I renamed the following folders:

[user]\AppData\Local\Adobe

[user]\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe

[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Program Files\Adobe

Program Files (x86)\Adobe

After that I checked AppData and Program Files -folders for other Adobe stuff and manually deleted those files and folders.

Finally I installed Creative Cloud Desktop app, installed Premiere, clicked its icon, crossed my fingers and waited. And it finally started in my own user account!

So now I just need to install everything back, apps and plugins, and hope that this never happens again. But if it does, at least here's a solution that helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you rename those folders to?. Why rename instead of delete?  (I’m about to have to go through this whole process and want to make sure what i do works)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just added _OLD to the folder names. I could've of course deleted them straight away but I wanted to be cautious in case I had forgotten to copy some plugin or preset to safety first. Good luck, I hope you also get your software up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was about to try that but it still does the same thing when I try opening premier on another user so i don't think that's my issue. My overall issue is sapphire. When I install sapphire, my premier starts loading up then ass soon as it starts loading the "sapphire plugins" on the loading screen it just shuts down with no error or anything. Then if I uninstall my sapphire plugins, it opens up just fine but obviously with no plugins. I need these plugins for editing so I need them installed but when installed my premier doesn't fully open. Has anyone fixed this issue or had the same issue as me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines