Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CS5 crash in new Mac Pro 2010

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two problems:

1. Sometimes when I make double cick in premiere icon, the program don't start. I see the previous premiere window with the 4 last projects, but I can not select anything, because the pointer mouse become a beach ball. I have to turn off the program with Alt+Cmd+esc.

2. The big problem. Premiere CS5 5.0.0 crash editing while I'm making marks In and Out in Source window or playing the timeline. The 3 monitors became black or freeze, mouse disapears, sounds freeze and I have to restart with power button.

I have last Mac Pro 2010, 2,8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X 10.6.4, 8GB RAM, ATi Radeon 5870, 3 x Hard disk 2 TB, 3 monitors connected trought DVI double chanel, and two minidisplayport-DVI double chanel.

Sorry for my english.

Any help or doubt about my explanation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutly not just a MAC issue. I have many many programs running on my new iMac 27" with this ATI card and the only program that freezes my computer is Premiere CS5 when I either try to resize my monitor window while a clip is playing OR if I just try to play a clip in source window without first playing the icon play button. 100% crash all the time. I've been telling all my Final Cut friends about how great the new Premiere Pro CS5 and how I'm moved entirely to this platform, but now I'm telling them all to hold off in switching because it's impossible to work on anything real and time consuming without hitting the Save button after thing you do. I can't count on this software anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quite agree, I am now using CS5 Pro, the bugs are still there when I was

using Pro 7 version, you would think that someone at Adobe would of heard of

this problem and fixed it. Mine crashes when up loading video, and the auto

SAVE facility is useless, you have to MANUALLY do this otherwise you run the

risk of losing all your efforts if it crashes.

I spent a lot of money changing over to MAC from Windows thinking that the

sytems were more stable...they are not! and just maybe beating my old

Microsoft PC with a branch from my tree was all in vain. They are the same

and I thinks its the software.

When uploading video and it crashes, you are left wondering whether its the

Apple processor that cant handle the strain or is it the Adobe software that

cannot handle the info. And of course the other annoying thing is you get a

`report` after the crash that you cannot save. I had a Adobe engineer on the

phone for 30 mins trying to explain my problems and if only I could save

that darn report which you can only send TO CYBERSPACE OR DELETE, then maybe

we might get to the bottom of what the prob is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely NOT a Mac-only issue. I'm running PPro CS5 on a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro successfully. Both have nVidia cards. The issue is with ATI cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would generally agree with the ATI issue, but my Macpro started having the "serious" error with the quadro 4000 installed.

Sean

Sent from my mobile device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a long winded post.

We shouldn't bag any software or hardware without serious testing.

I have had all issues described and now have a stable system, but I do feel the pain that all are experiencing.

We have 2 identical mac systems which makes testing things out a little easier.

What we have found is that ATI on a mac trying to run prem is not an option as it is too unstable.

The error messages are many and vary greatly. So we purchased Nvidia

We still had issues with Nvidia (Adobe Certified) cards as well.

Both our systems were upgraded from CS4 and we both had similar issues/errors.

We found that the only solution to stability, without going into great detail, was to do a clean install.

We spent 1 full day rebuilding our systems from scratch and now have the stability we all desire.

We first put the OS on with N Vidia & Cuda plus email accounts etc (no other software or plugins) we made sure OS was up to date.

We then created a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner so we had an "OS only plus card back up "

We then put Adobe onboard with all updates and then made a separate clone of that so we had an "OS plus Adobe Backup"

We then put all other software/plugins on and made a separate clone to get an "OS plus Adobe plus auxiliary software backup"

May seem a little time consuming but what you end up with is a series of clones (we used a 2TB drive per system for all clones) that can help you quickly nut out any future issues that may arise.

You can also clean install any future versions with little effort/time

In summary what we have found... ATI is a no goer (but there may be some lucky one's out there)... and prem should be put on cleanly after OS. Not on top/upgraded from previous versions.

Don't know why this is as you should be able to do it, but... it solved our issues on both systems.

Hope someone finds this info useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats very useful, should a complete reinstall of Premiere take place even when upgrading to different versions i.e from Prem CS5 Version 5.02 to Version 5.03?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should all this be necessary having just spent about £2500 or $4400 on

hardware and software, all I want is what is promised.

And the annoying thing is I set up my equipment in an APPLE shop and tried

to get it to do the things it does back home..did it ? NNNOOOOO

I admire you tenacity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you too eh ? really annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another irritating fault that stems back to premier pro 7 is the automatic SAVE facility. I have my set to every minute.

Great but it doesnt work. And like you I have lost countless hours of editing time when the screen crashes and nothing has been saved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought. Try setting it to 10 minutes. I find this to be a good medium. Also, you can always hit ctrl or cmd s to save. Mine has worked great and saved my butt many times.

Sean Arnold

Visual Media Designer

TPCC.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I have tried all that even stuck 6 yellow reminder tabs all round my monitor to remind me to save every now and then. Just didnt, so focused on what I was doing just forgot.

It still isnt right that the programme has an automatic facility and yer just have to do in manual to save your butt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have experienced exactly the same issue with my new MacPro with the following set up:

Here are my specs:

a) MacPro 6-core Intel Xeon running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.4
b) MX02 Max (& accelerator) with latest drivers 2.1,
c) Graphics card: Invidia Quadra 4800,
d) Premiere CS5.02.
e) Capture drive is G-TECH (GTECH-GR4-4000-EMEA) with ESata.

Capture preset: Matrox MX02 - Pal YUV 8bit
Capture Format: Matrox MPEG I-Frame limiting data to 5000KBytes/sec

The crash happens with no warning or apparent specific operation. The last time it happened for instance I was scrolling through Audio, but before that it happened for another reason. It is absolutely imperative that Apple and Adobe sort this out - as you can see from the spec it is nothing to do with the Apple ADI-Radeon card, and the Invidia one is a CUDA based one recommended by Aobe and Apple specifically for use with the Matrox MX02 set up. I don't know how to cure this issue so please Apple & Adobe help us by providing a patch

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with Matrox,they have a fabulous reputation for messing things up. Also update to 5.03.

If that does not solve it, consider a PC. Far less costly, much faster and more and better choices for expansion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm Millaard wrote:

If that does not solve it, consider a PC. Far less costly, much faster and more and better choices for expansion.

Don't mind Harm - he's as passionate about PCs as many Mac zealots are about their computers.  As an Adobe guy who uses both, I say use whatever your comfortable with.

As to his other statement - I agree - pull the Matrox completely out of the system and see how it starts to perform.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message I have is exactly the same as the one here already posted except that mine reads [/Skinner64 instead of [/Scully64 as seen below...

thanks for any advice...but please let's not get into a PC versus Mac discussion!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, your error may be different than what is being discussed here. My system simply freezes (not just premiere) without any premiere or apple error message and the crash reporter is not engaged. The mac has to be rebooted to recover.

On the idea of using the percentage method instead of fit to screen. It will not work when you are asking premiere to use the second monitor for external device playback since it will playback at whatever screen resolution is set for the second monitor.

And since we use Macs here at the college, the PC option is not an option. Final Cut Pro is, but I learned editing on Premiere (on a PC) in 1998 and it is just so hard to switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using a second monitor

seems a little more stable at the mo - but does crash from time to time (either as mac black panic kernel or simply freezes and requires re-start) - seems to be when i adjust the interface whilst playing?? perhaps?

come on adobe - power up your mac and get this sorted please

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback, I tried your idea and it didn't seem to make much difference so you are probably right. My error is the same as the original post by pericu_parrac in September. My system is the fastest and most efficient recommended by Adobe for Mac with the Matrox recommendation. Every configuration can present a problem and when three manufacturers product are being used together each one blames the other if there's an issue, mainly because they do not fully cooperate with one another, and systems are tending to be fragmented. i have used both Apple and PC edit systems since the mid 90's and there are still not 100% stable. What I object to is that customers are being used more and more to test products before they are ready to be released, thanks to forums, companies can correct errors through the forum feedback - this is cart before horse. There is nothing more frustrating than spending 000's of dollars/pounds and ending up with something you constantly have to repair yourself through patch downloads etc

Sorry if I've ranted on a bit

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback, I tried your idea and it didn't seem to make much difference so you are probably right. My error is the same as the original post  by pericu_parrac in September. My system is the fastest and most efficient recommended by Adobe for Mac with the Matrox recommendation. Every configuration can present a problem and when three manufacturers product are being used together each one blames the other if there's an issue, mainly because they do not fully cooperate with one another, and systems are tending to be fragmented. i have used both Apple and PC edit systems since the mid 90's and there are still not 100% stable. What I object to is that customers are being used more and more to test products before they are ready to be released, thanks to forums, companies can correct errors through the forum feedback - this is cart before horse. There is nothing more frustrating than spending 000's of dollars/pounds and ending up with something you constantly have to repair yourself through patch downloads etc

Sorry if I've ranted on a bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple, Adobe, ATI problem... lolz Tripple A.

Seriously tho, It seems a tripple problem requiring 3 parties to solve. So far this thread turns out to be a venting list rather than helpful user feedback.

In a sense we should be glad Adobe doesn't mind us crying on their(and seemingly theirs alone) shoulders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I'm Al, one of the Product Managers on Premiere Pro. I'm sorry for the time

taken for us to formally respond to these threads but we wanted to make sure we

understood the situation as well as we could first.

Essentially, it appears that a small change made to the code in Premiere Pro

5.0.2 may cause the application to be unstable on Macs running with AMD/ATI

GPUs. The unpredictability of the issue makes it challenging to get to the

bottom of, but I wanted to let you all know that we are absolutely aware of

it, appreciate that it's frustrating, and that we are currently

investigating it in more depth.

Right now I'm not in a position to say if and when a fix will be made

available, but rest assured that we are investigating, and we'll keep you

posted as to any developments.

Sorry for the difficulties you're having - we're doing what we can.

thanks

al.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I'm not in a position to say if and when a fix will be made

available, but rest assured that we are investigating, and we'll keep you

posted as to any developments.

Who are you anyway?

Represent yourself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a recent purchaser of a new MAC PLUS CS5 suite package

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craulmedia,

He did say he was a production manager on Premiere Pro in his first sentence. Don't bash the messenger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, got it.

Sorry for my disrespectfulness

But Anyway, PM or not it (he) does not solve our actual problem which lasts for MONTHS now and it do not vanish the fact that adobe sucks in product support.

Was that a clear statement about how A FEW people think about their "so so" well invested money?

No peace unless it's fixed, hands are for shaking ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines