• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere doesn't reload .srt captions

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have Premiere CC 2015.2 (old coz it's stable and during project we don't change tools). So here is the situation.

We have draft cut of our film. And we have .srt subtitles for it. We send this .srt for translation and in parralel we finalizing our film.

So, we have captions track above (imported srt), and we cut our film with this track, so subtitles remain intact.

And it's working. After cutting, trimming etc. we can export our new cut with srt - and this srt will be with new timecodes.

Problem is, when we get our translated .srt, we cant replace our original srt with new.

We press on .srt in project, select "replace footage", choose new srt - and nothing happens, we still have our old srt on timeline, and when we see properties of replaced srt, it shows us path and filename of new file. We have new path and filename, and old text of captions. When we edit this captions, premiere shows old text.

It cached somewhere. We tried renaming our srt, with closed premiere, and nothing - we still have our old text.

Go to offline and relink - nothing, still old text.

We deleted cache files (Media Cache Files) of thees captions - nothing, old text.

Then we unpack project file and in text editor (Notepad++) we found, that theese old captions hardcoded into project. With styles, timings etc.

So the question - how to relink-replace captions (srt in our case, but we are ready to convert to any possible format, if that helps)? Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

I'll answer by myself:)

caching problem can be resolved, if you constantly replace original captions with translated in different formats. I choose stl and srt. We have imported srt, replace it with translated srt - nothing happend, then again - replace it with translated stl (converted with subtitle edit from srt to stl), nothing, and on 3-4 attempt it's replaced! with all cuts and editing. Soooo.... It's working somehow:)

P.S. It's enough to replace two times: first with subtitles the same forma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll answer by myself:)

caching problem can be resolved, if you constantly replace original captions with translated in different formats. I choose stl and srt. We have imported srt, replace it with translated srt - nothing happend, then again - replace it with translated stl (converted with subtitle edit from srt to stl), nothing, and on 3-4 attempt it's replaced! with all cuts and editing. Soooo.... It's working somehow:)

P.S. It's enough to replace two times: first with subtitles the same format (srt to srt), nothing happens, then another format (srt to stl) - then it's replaced. If you try to replace one time - srt to stl or stl to srt - nothing happens, so it's two step process.Reminds me somehow of Windows 95, when you try something, and it's not working, and you try every possible combination of steps, two-three times the same - and in the end it's working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues and came across your post but your solution is not working for me. 

I have an SRT created by a thrird party app for transcription but occiasionally yhere are timecode errors that make the SRT shorter. I open th SRT in text edit, edit the timcode error, relink and nothing. I used all the methodology you used to relink.

If I import again, the entire corrected SRT is there, and I can lay it on the timeline but this doesnt help for down the line when we have multiple seqeucnes with the same SRT in it.

Even this morning one SRT just went offline, we are unsure why and don't have the ability to relink.

Anyone else have this problem and found a more sound soulution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you adding to multple sequences? If you duplicate the stream I find it is more likely to go out of sync than if you import a new version (I change the filename). But you are wanting multiple instances to update with changes to only one?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct Stan.

I'm putting the SRT on a sequene of an interview and distributing it to the editor's project. It's been working fine until we had a random SRT go offline and of course we can't edit the SRTs in text wdit and have it show up in primere.

We've been treating SRTs the same was as media - unlinking and relinking to test but no real headway untill today, I deleted the media cache and media cache files and I WAS able to relink in both my project and the edit project. 

It is working so far in muliple instances but it still will not update if I unlink the SRT, edit the SRT in text edit and relink. It will relink the SRT but it won't add new caption lines that are there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these insights tyfreak.

I can confirm a similar workaround.

I am editing a documentary with English subtitles and experiencing the same problem whereby Premiere does not update changes made to an externally linked .srt file. (The .srt file was imported into Premiere. This linked .srt file is then being amended/corrected using Aegisub, but none of these changes are registered by Premiere.)

Using Premiere v14 Build 572, this was my successful workaround to update my changes to an externally linked .srt file...

1. From Premiere, export the linked .srt caption file as "EBU N19 Subtitle File (.stl)" - not the default srt.

2. In Premiere, use "Replace Footage" to replace the .srt caption with the newly exported .stl file.

3. Nothing will happen!

4. Again, using "Replace Footage" replace the same caption with the original linked .srt file.

5. Nothing will happen!

6. Repeat Step 2, using "Replace Footage" to replace the .srt caption with the newly exported .stl file.

7. The caption text (as seen on a timeline) may disappear at this point.

8. Finally, repeat Step 4 "Replace Footage" to replace the caption with the original linked .srt file.

This, so far, is the only way I manange to register changes made to an externally linked .srt file. Cumbersome and eccentric, I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zbiggy,

Your work around originally worked for me on the first file I tried it with, but then every file after that when I went to "Replace Footage" with the .stl, I got the error message "A low-level exception occured in: Captions (IMporter:37)"

Any idea what could be happening here? This bug has been driving me up the wall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I think I solved it. I replaced the corrupted .srt file with the one working .stl file I have (I'm using the same .stl file for all clips, and it doesn't seem to matter), then I replace that .stl with the fixed .srt-- and it works. 

Very glitchy process with these SRTs. So frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines