Exit

Premiere HDR workflow problem with stills

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo!

I’ve got a problem with premiere pro 14.8 HDR export:

It works kind of good with videos: choose HDR PQ in the sequence settings, import video from canon R5 canonlog, apply first LUT canonlog to Rec2020 then second LUT rec2020 to rec2020 PQ. Exporting in HDR10 with metadata, looks impressively good on HDR monitor and allows to switch off/on HDR for export by choosing the sequence setting and the second LUT.

However, there is a big problem with 2 bugs:

• I can import stills (jpg or png or tif or psd), doesn’t matter. Of course considering HDR, 16bit would be preferable. All works find in SDR and export works nicely.
  • Switching to HDR, 2 problems arise:
  • A: If I have e.g. 5 still in a raw in the sequence, doesn’t matter if jpg or other or 8 or 16 bit, nor difference. All exports fine in SDR. Switching to HDR, always only the first still exports correctly, then sometimes the last one. Changing export settings does not change anything. Because the same sequence exports nicely in SDR, must be a bug in premiere.
  • B: whereas the LUTs give good results with videos, the stills have big problem. When I don’t apply any LUT, they don’t have a PQ curve and the export results are not correct. I should theoretically apply now a LUT from e.g. AdobeRGB to rec2020 and then as above with the videos the rec2020 to PQ LUT. However, this results in totally wrong extremely overexposed exports. Thus, because it works this way with video, should be a bug in premiere. Thus, how to handle stills in HDR workflow to bring them into the right colourspace and exporting with the correct settings into HDR10?

Many thanks! Best wishes

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere isn't fully setup to handle all sorts of different media in an HDR space. Basically, the two format/codecs it is fully adapted to are ProRes and Sony XAVC-Intra. Some others it may sort of mostly handle ok. Some things, not so much.

As you've noticed, stills are problematic at this time. One intriguing thing I've thought of but not heard anyone try yet, is exporting the still as a video clip ... reimporting that clip ... and using it on the sequence instead of the original still.

Especially if you export with a GPU in use to say ProRes 4444, then re-import that video clip and use to replace your still image. That might actually work, but I've not tested the idea myself yet.

In fact, I wonder if exporting a number of other things to ProRes 4444 and then using that clip in the HDR sequence might work better. It might not, but ... I'll need to test it sometime. It's a bit of a hassle yet for me to change my monitor setup to do anything in HDR settings.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes that idea makes the situation a bit better. I exported the whole sequence including the stills as prores4444 and then reimported and exported as HEVC HDR10. I should go deeper to compare the colors between this way and the first way with direct export from the PQ premiere workspace to HEVC. But there seems to be an additional problem with the adobe media encoder: the hevc hdr10 clip now plays completely (including the stills) in e.g. potplayer on PC, but i always check the exports on something independent like firetv player on TV. doing this, the problems come up again: still some stills are not shown playing back, whatever encoder settings I chose, the videos are ok. I would try in parallel voucoder but could not find any compatible settings for HDR10 in order to make the stream then recognized in firetv on TV... 

many thanks and best wishes Franz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, tried a few more things... it does not seem really HDR related with the stills... It seems to be a problem with stream encoding compatibility. 

Exporting the sequence with the stills in SDR HEVC (profile main) works fine. it plays fine on win and also firetv players. 

Enabling main10 profiles (as first step to export to HDR10 in HEVC) and still exporting in SDR, still plays fine on win but not anymore on all firetv players I have (including VLC). 

Tried different profile settings, could not find anyone which works. 

It's good that it still play on windows, but it does not help cos the output should be compatible to as many platforms as possible and for sure must be able to playback on firetv. 

Any idea how to output a compatible stream which can then be used at the end for HDR10 too? could also output as H264, but this is not working in HDR10 at all I assume... many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not worked much in HDR, and haven't done anything with stills, so I've no idea what's going on there. The puzzling thing is it sounds like some of the stills may be displaying in HDR? And some not?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, some display, some not. but maybe not completely HDR related, the behavior already starts when activating main10 (as the first step to activate HDR in export HEVC). 

but there must be more "wrong" or problems in the HDR workflow in the current version. I am using Canon R5 files with 12 or 10 bit. With the different LUTs the colors are fine, also in HDR. It's not so astonishing like some demos with popping out lights at highest intensities, but looks ok. But you see very often a banding e.g. in the sky, which is not present in SDR export and for sure should not be in HDR from 12 or 10bit files. It seems that premiere might not handle this in deepest bit depth or whatever, have to explore further ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines