• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Incredibly slow - what should I upgrade?

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Seeing a lot of conflicting information so I'm posting here. I thought my PC which I built about 5 years ago now would be able to run Premiere quite easily but it is laggy to the point of unusability.

The specs are:

Windows 10 64 Bit

CPU: Intel i5-6500 @3.2GHZ

RAM: 32Gb

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

My clips are recorded in 1080p 60 fps on a Canon EOS R6 in c-log.

I can barely watch a preview even in lowest preview settings and using proxies. A lot of my work requires syncing to music and transitions which is basically impossible or incredibly time consuming to do right now. What do I need to change hardware wise to be able to edit seamlessly?

Thank you in advance and please let me know if I can provide further information.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rig seems alright. CPU is maybe aging a little bit.

What sort of proxies are you creating? If you're using H264 proxies you should try something intraframe like ProRes Proxy.

For future builds you obviously want a balanced system in general, but a lot of Premiere is still driven by the CPU. Also, don't neglect your drive configuration. It can help to have OS, cache, and source media separated, and be sure that your media is on a drive that can support the bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your system specs are OK for 4K if you opt for 1/2 or 1/4 resolution when using BRAW or R3D files. It should play most 1080P files as well. If you enable Nvenc you should be able to play basic H.264 files at full resolution but some of the odd variations of H.264 are hard to playback even on a 24 core system. That is because Nvenc and Quick Sync cannot encode and decode all variations of H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines