Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere is extremely slow since Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

right now I'm heavily struggling to edit a video in Adobe Premiere.

Since the new Update "Big Sur" is out, Premiere acts extremely laggy in its Preview window, and pausing the video takes pretty long, even though my iMacs CPU inactivity scale is at around 92%. Ram is pretty constantly at 2,9 gb of 8 gb.

Does anyone of you have a similar problem or is it only with me?

Best regards

Julian

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Unfortunately, there is no choice but to go "nuclear." As in wipe out all traces of the Big Sur installation and install an older version of OSX from scratch. However, you will not be able to do that if your Mac already shipped with Big Sur pre-installed. In that case, you will have to wait for Adobe to certify Premiere Pro as compatible and supported for Big Sur. This will not come until version 15, whose release has been delayed.

Likewise, there is no "2021" version of Premiere Pro at this tim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

thanks for your quick response.

Unfortunately, the problem is still existing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must retrograde back to Catalina or (depending on the age of your Mac) even Mojave until the apps become certified compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there is no choice but to go "nuclear." As in wipe out all traces of the Big Sur installation and install an older version of OSX from scratch. However, you will not be able to do that if your Mac already shipped with Big Sur pre-installed. In that case, you will have to wait for Adobe to certify Premiere Pro as compatible and supported for Big Sur. This will not come until version 15, whose release has been delayed.

Likewise, there is no "2021" version of Premiere Pro at this time. The current 14.5 version is just another point release of the 2020 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ASC!

I am having the same problem. (note: This after the release of version 15 of premiere pro cc)
My i Mac is painfully slow with all Adobe softwares! I am trying to trouble shot this, but nothing has helped! Does anyone have any answers? 

Here is my Mac info:

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.37.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im going Nuclear and uninstalling Big Sur. It cant handle me doing simple multi-tasks such as actions on photoshop while working on Indesign. This update was a big failure for Adobe products. Sure, the new OS interface might look nice, but everything else is rubbish for work purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello defaultdj8ddij6crk:

Make sure that you're running Big Sur 11.3 or newer (11.5.1 is the current release) as well as the current Adobe applications.  Those should work fine together.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick note for anyone googling that lead them here. I wasn't prepared to go "nuclear" and roll back Big Sur, so I found another way.

If you open Creative Cloud, find the 'Beta apps' section under Categories and install the Premiere Beta. It's a beta and might have some bugs (none that I found yet), but it fixes whatever this is in Big Sur. I'm personally okay with using the beta, for those that can't, at least you know it's in the works for next release, though I have no idea when this beta will go live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit my previous, phew. Just wanted to say the beta is for v14.8, so this will be a point release fix at some point. We won't need to wait until v15, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet we must continue to pay for the service whilst we wait for the release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi E.A Enterprises,

I've had a call with Adobe yesterday and they gave me a refund for the elapsed time. 

Maybe, you're also able to get your money back.

Regards

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same Problem. I run a 10 Core iMac Pro and Premiere Pro was fast, smooth and easily usable with 5.2 K Apple Prores RAW and 6.2K CinemaDNG from a DJI Inspire 2. Now it is sloppy, and stutters for 1-2 seconds in the timeline.

Do I really have to roll back to Catalina or is there a Premiere Pro Beta? The same by the way for Lightroom CC. It got slower with Big Sur. In Catalina it was a blast to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my installation to 14.8 (non-beta), and it still lagged. Then I installed the beta version and it still seemed to lag. Does anyone have a fix for this? It has been several months since Big Sur was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have any luck getting your Premiere Pro working better? I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
so right now it seems like my Premiere is bettering itself, even though I didn't do anything special besides keeping my version updated. Things like skipping for- and backward on the timeline or rendering don't take as long as before and everything seems more fluent in general. I don't think, that we're fully back on track yet, but seems like Adobe is on a good way to fix their issues with Premiere on Big Sur. At least, that's what's going on with me

Regards
Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if your problem is the same as mine, but Premiere was extremely slow and sluggish after upgrading to Big Sur. I updated the OS to the latest version (11.5.2 at the time) and updated Premiere to the latest (15.4) at the time.

Still sluggish. After seaching finally found mention of "deleting media cache" and that has helped a ton, my playhead no longer skips.

Hope this helps other searching

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably worth mentioning that as far as going "nuclear" is concerned, Mac users have the option of installing macOS on an alternate boot drive.  This is especially helfpul when troubleshooting performace issue as a user can install just macOS and the application having issues.  In the case of this post, the prior version of macOS and the current Premiere Pro could be installed on an external USB3 SSD or hybrid drive for testing while preserving the curent intall on the Macintosh HD.  In a pinch, a regular USB3 drive could be used (of course, it's not nearly as responsive as an SSD).

Ideally, we'd all have a current bootable back up before we upgrade our OS.  That way we have a quick roll back to the prior, know-to-be-stable, backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines