Highlighted

Premiere is extremely slow since Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

right now I'm heavily struggling to edit a video in Adobe Premiere.

Since the new Update "Big Sur" is out, Premiere acts extremely laggy in its Preview window, and pausing the video takes pretty long, even though my iMacs CPU inactivity scale is at around 92%. Ram is pretty constantly at 2,9 gb of 8 gb.

Does anyone of you have a similar problem or is it only with me?

Best regards

Julian

Unfortunately, there is no choice but to go "nuclear." As in wipe out all traces of the Big Sur installation and install an older version of OSX from scratch. However, you will not be able to do that if your Mac already shipped with Big Sur pre-installed. In that case, you will have to wait for Adobe to certify Premiere Pro as compatible and supported for Big Sur. This will not come until version 15, whose release has been delayed.

Likewise, there is no "2021" version of Premiere Pro at this time. The current 14.5 version is just another point release of the 2020 version.

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere is extremely slow since Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

right now I'm heavily struggling to edit a video in Adobe Premiere.

Since the new Update "Big Sur" is out, Premiere acts extremely laggy in its Preview window, and pausing the video takes pretty long, even though my iMacs CPU inactivity scale is at around 92%. Ram is pretty constantly at 2,9 gb of 8 gb.

Does anyone of you have a similar problem or is it only with me?

Best regards

Julian

Unfortunately, there is no choice but to go "nuclear." As in wipe out all traces of the Big Sur installation and install an older version of OSX from scratch. However, you will not be able to do that if your Mac already shipped with Big Sur pre-installed. In that case, you will have to wait for Adobe to certify Premiere Pro as compatible and supported for Big Sur. This will not come until version 15, whose release has been delayed.

Likewise, there is no "2021" version of Premiere Pro at this time. The current 14.5 version is just another point release of the 2020 version.

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

thanks for your quick response.

Unfortunately, the problem is still existing...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 1
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must retrograde back to Catalina or (depending on the age of your Mac) even Mojave until the apps become certified compatible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick note for anyone googling that lead them here. I wasn't prepared to go "nuclear" and roll back Big Sur, so I found another way.

If you open Creative Cloud, find the 'Beta apps' section under Categories and install the Premiere Beta. It's a beta and might have some bugs (none that I found yet), but it fixes whatever this is in Big Sur. I'm personally okay with using the beta, for those that can't, at least you know it's in the works for next release, though I have no idea when this beta will go live.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit my previous, phew. Just wanted to say the beta is for v14.8, so this will be a point release fix at some point. We won't need to wait until v15, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0