• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dropping frames on PC: i9, 64 GB RAM, and 2 GTX 1080 GPUs

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is useless; why?. At this point, Premiere seems pretty useless. My current computer specs are an i9 processor, 64 GB RAM, 2 NVIDIA 1080 GTX graphics cards, and Premiere is STILL dropping frames on UNEDITED footage. Before inevitably running proxies, I've done all I can (which makes zero sense because my computer should handle the footage easily). I've cleared the media cache, turned on CUDA, and emptied my entire operating system to ensure my computer only has to deal with Premiere, and Premiere is still failing. I've uninstalled the current and older versions and even uninstalled all my third-party plug-ins. At this point, it's become comical. I love Premiere, but I can't rely on it anymore, so I'm asking, as a hail mary, how do I fix this problem before moving on to Davinci Resolve? I know it can't be my computer because it is pretty new with a substantial amount of power, and other intensive programs like Blender and Cinema4D work fine. I don't know, just frustrated because I have deadlines (like many), and I can't even deliver because the program that I pay for every month isn't reliable at the moment. Any technical tips are appreciated! Thanks! Current codecs that I'm editing are H.264, H.265, and ProRes

Mod note: I changed the title to reflect the issue

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

people have reported issues with having 2 graphics cards so you might disable one of them.   and do you have the latest drivers for the graphics cards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and you might try a proxy workflow.  It can be a little tricky getting your head around it, but once you do it's rocksolide (at least in my experience).   And you haven't told us what kind of drives you have.   People recommend that your boot drive be an ssd and that you have your media on an ssd.  My boot drive is on an ssd but for the most part my media is on usb3 hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry Paolo!
Tell us about your media drives. You didn't mention them. Slow drives are often a bottleneck, as are Long GOP codecs, especially of the 10 bit 4:2:2 variety. Adding effects and scaling can also impact performance. Updating a an older project to a new version can be a problem, as can not having Mercury Engine or not having Hardware Decoding enabled.

More info would help.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines