Premiere is useless, why?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point premiere seems pretty useless. My current computer specs are i9 processor, 64 GB RAM, 2 NVIDIA 1080 GTX graphics cards and Premiere is STILL dropping frames on UNEDITED footage. I've done all that I can before inevitably running proxies (which makes zero sense because my computer should handle the footage easily)  I've cleared media cache, turned on CUDA, emptied out my entire operating system to make sure my computer is only having to deal with premiere and premiere is still failing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the current version, older versions and even uninstalled all my third party plug-ins. At this point it's become comical. I love Premiere but I can't rely on it anymore so I'm asking as a hail mary, how do I fix this problem before moving onto Davinci Resolve? I know it can't be my computer becuase it is fairly new with a substainal amount of power and other intensive programs like Blender and Cinema4D work fine. I don't know, just frustrated because I have deadlines (like many) and I can't even deliver because the program that I pay for every month for isn't reliable at the moment. Any technical tips is appreicated! Thanks! Current codecs that I'm editing are H.264, H.265 and ProRes

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

people have reported issues with having 2 graphics cards so you might disable one of them.   and do you have the latest drivers for the graphics cards...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and you might try a proxy workflow.  It can be a little tricky getting your head around it, but once you do it's rocksolide (at least in my experience).   And you haven't told us what kind of drives you have.   People recommend that your boot drive be an ssd and that you have your media on an ssd.  My boot drive is on an ssd but for the most part my media is on usb3 hard drives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Paolo!
Tell us about your media drives. You didn't mention them. Slow drives are often a bottleneck, as are Long GOP codecs, especially of the 10 bit 4:2:2 variety. Adding effects and scaling can also impact performance. Updating a an older project to a new version can be a problem, as can not having Mercury Engine or not having Hardware Decoding enabled.

More info would help.

Regards,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines