Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere lags so bad the program is unsuable

Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, on a project the kind of done before on the same computer with many times Premiere lags so much anymore that editing is nearly impossible... the play head will roll over a cut and the display will be showing  a frozen frame of the last shot; this mean the program is broken and cannot be used.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Hi MattH,

This is a project with 4K h.264 mp4s and gameplay footage with a camera nested on top of it on separate layers the timeline cutting between them... Premiere could do it months ago on this very same computer, now it can't; nothing has changed but the software updates.

Is this a new project? If not, please try that.

If it is a new project, this anomaly could be due to changes to the software.

As software versions move up, often, so do the hardware requirements. Sometimes things that may have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MattH,

Sorry about this. Sounds like a performance issue. Please try the proxy workflow and report back. Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and proxies work... but it used to work without all the extra work and time of using them, so what happened?

Are you telling me that you accept the software declining in usability because I *could* just use proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... used to work fine. No need for proxies. That is not a fix.

My is a late 2013 27inch iMac 14,2

OSX 10.13.6    3.4 GHz i5,  24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GXT 775M 2048MB

Media is on USB G-Raid

Editing on Adobe Premiere most recent version 12.1.2  #69. and I usually have chrome open as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A five year old slowish i5 CPU, moderate amount of probably slow RAM, and an aging limited GPU. Probably spinning disc rather than SSD for OS even?

What media are you working with what effects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it was all working fine before updating to 10.13.6.  Working with GH4 and GH5 files as I have been for the past few years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives, (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 27 inch iMac is a late 2013 27inch iMac 14,2

OSX 10.13.6    3.4 GHz i5,  24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GXT 775M 2048MB

BOOT DRIVE is SSD via USB, Media is on USB G-Raid that clocks over 300mb on speed disk.

I just heard elsewhere that 10.13 has a new way of looking at drives and thus using the UBS SSD as a boot drive might be

the issue? Does that make sense?

Also Adobe tech support on the phone had me download and install Nvidia Drivers which added NVIDI Driver Manager to my system prefs. That claims to be up to date. However I have now turned that off and use the "Default mac OS driver" as I had been in the past few years of stable system.

Editing on Adobe Premiere most recent version 12.1.2  #69. and I usually have chrome open as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums wouldn't let me edit the post for some reason; original post meant to include:

This is a project with 4K h.264 mp4s and gameplay footage with a camera nested on top of it on separate layers the timeline cutting between them... Premiere could do it months ago on this very same computer, now it can't; nothing has changed but the software updates. I empty drive space, clear caches, virus scan, reboot.. nothing works. Premiere has been downhill since the last two updates (at least), so are the ACPs going to insist it's me not the program ad nauseam still...

It used to work, same computer, same footage, same sequence settings, computer performance should have increased after all my troubleshooting, yet Premiere still can't display a cut in the timeline in real time....

and ACP, remember... it worked 3 months ago, and did I mention on the same computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ditto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MattH,

This is a project with 4K h.264 mp4s and gameplay footage with a camera nested on top of it on separate layers the timeline cutting between them... Premiere could do it months ago on this very same computer, now it can't; nothing has changed but the software updates.

Is this a new project? If not, please try that.

If it is a new project, this anomaly could be due to changes to the software.

As software versions move up, often, so do the hardware requirements. Sometimes things that may have worked well before sometimes do not work as well in current versions. This can be the case for many reasons, sometimes having to do with changes to the software. For example, in previous decoders, variable frame rate was not supported, now it is, and it likely does require more overhead—meaning more powerful hardware. Screen captured H.264 is often done so at variable frame rates. If you transcoded the footage to ProRes or the like, my guess is that you would have better performance.

Plus, 4K H.264 files are no picnic for even powerful computers. If your computer is not up to the task, and you do not have a super powerful set of hardware, just use proxies or transcode to get the job done.

Sorry for your issues,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how every resource out there will tell you Premiere can handle H.264 fine until it doesn't, then Premiere "dosen't handle H.264"

And we finally, finally have admission that

"As software versions move up, often, so do the hardware requirements. Sometimes things that may have worked well before sometimes do not work as well in current versions. "

So in a matter of months Adobe has made it so my computer cannot do what it once did! I KNEW IT!

I'd roll back but I know the old version of Premiere won't open new project files.

Why not a new update that makes things work again????? And how about some people working at Adobe who have some common goddamn sense for a change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I remember you form FCP Group in Hollywood many years ago.  I do understand that as more features are add that takes more overhead on my old system... but it is sooo brutal a take down from being able to edit h264 with chrome open just a few weeks ago before I hit that update button to now every single little move is a 2 - 4 second wait.

Is there anything to the thing I mentioned about me booting from a USB SSD drive and 10.13 not playing well together? 

Any easy way to go back in time a bit - reinstall 10.12.6?

AND matth99297433 I feel your pain and frustration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find your response somewhat puzzling. Very understandable as a first reaction, but then ... hmm.

And we finally, finally have admission that

"As software versions move up, often, so do the hardware requirements. Sometimes things that may have worked well before sometimes do not work as well in current versions. "

So in a matter of months Adobe has made it so my computer cannot do what it once did! I KNEW IT!

"Admission" ... ? Really?

That was just a plain statement of life in the digital world.

It's to be expected in high-end video post work that as you get newer versions of software, the hardware needs are going to change. Although I especially find it amazing that people who are using the newest cameras & drones are frequently those complaining the loudest if they need to upgrade the computer to process the media from that hot new gear.

In the six years I've been doing video editing, this is my third rig, the second built for video editing specifically. I wouldn't expect my older four-core rig with 16GB of RAM and a 670GTX to be very useful these days, but back then it did just fine. Now I'm running a 6-core/32GB of RAM rig with a 1060/6-GB GPU, with OS, cache, and four other internal drives all late-gen SSD's, one an m.2 SSD.

It does 1080 Panny GH3 All-Intra H.264 ok, though if I'm going to be doing much Lumetri, I will go to proxies. 4K work, I about split proxies or not. It even works some occasional RED 6k needing only to be at 1/2 res for playback ... before I do too much with it.

I don't do that many layers of work. Typically three at most. Rarely need Warp. But always do some Lumetri. To a lot of Lumetri, me being me.

Should I demand that Adobe forevermore create PrPro to run great on a six-year-old piece of kit? I don't know anyone else that does. BlackMagic Resolve certainly doesn't like old gear either. Every couple cycles, they've upped the hardware needs to work efficiently. As has Resolve ... although theirs tends to be every version.

Over the last couple cycles, it seems that PrPro vastly prefers things on SSD's to spinners of near any read/write sustained speed. I think it was Puget Sound Systems that notes that for best H.264 (long-GOP) media, the nastiest stuff to edit made, that the "ideal" is 8-10 very fast cores of 3.8Ghz or above, matched with as close as you can afford up to 10GB of RAM per core, with everything on SSDs.

And ... I'm running build ideas past several firms at the current time. Won't be getting a new rig until maybe January, but ... I need more oomph for what's coming my way in media & effects to do to it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By all accounts my computer should still be able to handle what I'm doing,  I've been on SSDs on two computers for the past year and what I said still stands, Premiere used to work, now it doesn't. Got more RAM, Premiere is just as bad, new processor in one of my computers, Premiere operates no differently.  So do I need an I9? I would consider it but I've seen too many people on this board who already have the I9 saying that Premiere funtions the same as it ever did: poorly.

but it's the ACPs on this forums who insist it isn't the program but the user, but if the program is updating itself beyond the capabilities of the hardware then the program is at fault. No one assumes that updating Premiere will make it not function as it used to as it goes against the very idea of an update... no update should make something not work anymore... yet you are advocating for that it sounds like... you think that as technologies advance it should be harder for a computer to do the very same thing it used to be able to do before a software update!

So in a year from now if Premiere needed 12 cores to do what it could do 3 years ago on 4 you would think that's normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matth99297433  wrote

No one assumes that updating Premiere will make it not function as it used to as it goes against the very idea of an update... no update should make something not work anymore... yet you are advocating for that it sounds like...

I always assume an update is going to brick my system. That is why I only update if I am currently not on deadline and I have 2 viable backups of my current system disk and media arrays.

Then I update and confirm I'm good with it. If problems, I revert to my previous software and standby until the next update warrants an attempt.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm re-reading your post and still trying to make complete sense. Even in my on post prior to this one, I noted specifically I've been through several machines to keep up with PrPro ... I cannot in any way see how that can be construed as saying it's the user not the program.

And take this ...

but if the program is updating itself beyond the capabilities of the hardware then the program is at fault

The hardware 'base' keeps changing. Constantly. Cameras keep changing, weekly it seems. New gear is out for GPU, CPU, RAM, everything. New media or amazingly pushed settings in 'current' formats/codecs in-camera require rebuilt software to use them. Where long-GOP was once only 9-15 frames between i-frames, then up to 30 ... with the use of partial i-frames I've seen posted on this forum data showing some devices were putting as many as 120 frames between complete i-frames.

Users are constantly screaming about wanting the newest camera media to work in PrPro, including high-bit-rate, high data rate, long-GOP and such. So of course, the app has to be updated to handle such on the hardware gear that is coming into wider use.

Older gear is simply going to become outdated. And it happens routinely. I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Note, I don't like that process. But my liking it or not is irrelevant. There is no way it can be otherwise.

So to me, it seems that you are upset that reality is what it is. Well, I can easily join you in toasting that. If I could snap my fingers and make digital imaging go away, I'd tick off a lot of people. Myself, well ... I would happily go back to using my RB67 Pro-S in our portrait studio again, with whatever film was being produced for it.

Reality is what is though. And those days are gone. I may not like it, but I accept it and move with it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi icharry,

I would definitely transcode or use proxies with your 5 year old, fairly underpowered Mac with heavy duty footage, like H.264. That's what I do with my 2013 Mac and it works fine.

Please don't edit with Chrome open. It steals GPU cycles from Premiere Pro. Keep it closed while you edit if you want better performance. Same goes with Spotify for the same reason. BITD, we weren't even allowed to have the internet on our NLE rigs. 😉

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As usual, the community and Adobe, jump straight to complicated ideas and start blaming the user's hardware. It has nothing at all to do with the hardware. It was working perfect until suddenly it wasn't. I had the same issue. All you have to do is EDIT > PREFERENCES > MEDIA FILES > DELETE CACHED MEDIA FILES.

Problem solved. Premiere is just another example of software garbage coupled with Windows which is unbelievable garbage. You just have to deal with Adobe not having a friggin clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines