Exit

Premiere lags

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does the lag appear?

On my video clip (Gameplay) it doesnt lag at all, it just lags
when I add zooms, shakes or titles to the adjustment layers.

If I rendere (In,Out) and I make any change, I can go render again... 

Even the other clips in the timeline starts lagging (getting red) even though they have nothing to do with the changed clip...

What I have tried already:

-Playback resolution to 1/4
-Render in + out -> works, any change -> lags again
-cleaned media cache

-Project settings -> GPU
-latency audio to 50
-memory ram for other applications to the lowest (me, 3 Gb), optimize rendering= perfomance
-automatically refreshing files off
-add a proxy (doesn't change because the gameplay isn't the problem, the adjustment layer/effects are the problem)

If I turn off  the eye or use global mute (Fx), its solved. But that can't be the solution right?
My Pc is not even that bad...

System:

AMD Rhyzen 3700X 8 Core 3, 59 GH
32 GB RAM
64 Bit Win 10 Pro

Hope you can help me 🙂

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

The red lines and the lag are telling you that you're using effects that aren't GPU accelerated. The only way to overcome that is to have a processor that can handle those effects in real time (yours is pretty good, BTW) or to render the sequence like you have been doing.

I recommend doing as much cutting as you can without effects applied, and only when absolutely necessary adding effects to the sections that need it and rendering to see your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

In a normal production workflow you apply your VFX at the very end of the process, because yes: it lags. When you work in software that's meant for more graphics and VFX work like After Effects you have to pre-cache (render) every frame before playback. As Jeff pointed out: do your editing, then do your effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red lines and the lag are telling you that you're using effects that aren't GPU accelerated. The only way to overcome that is to have a processor that can handle those effects in real time (yours is pretty good, BTW) or to render the sequence like you have been doing.

I recommend doing as much cutting as you can without effects applied, and only when absolutely necessary adding effects to the sections that need it and rendering to see your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a normal production workflow you apply your VFX at the very end of the process, because yes: it lags. When you work in software that's meant for more graphics and VFX work like After Effects you have to pre-cache (render) every frame before playback. As Jeff pointed out: do your editing, then do your effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys for help, I'll change my workflow then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding GPU acceleration and lags, for many years (2014-2019 at least), there was(is?) a nasty bug, dunno if it was fixed, better check for yourself:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/order-of-filters-effects-and-drop-in-cuda-rendering-spee...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines