• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere not the same since last update

Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done everything I can think of to speed up my computer since the Pr v15.0 update. Still my system is plagued by slow load times, choppy playback (video and audio - even after rendering - sometimes pressing the space bar to halt the playhead isn't even effective and the audio continues to play ith a blank or frozen program window), Lumetri scopes only loading periodically, incremental syncing misalignment after .h264 export, 75% slower export times than before updating to v15, and workspaces that randomly reo-organize themselves and I have to keep re-saving to my custom layout.

My computer specifications: 

Device name LAPTOP-N6G6IQVE
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 783BA8D3-6169-435F-A5EA-7E69F36CCBF5
Product ID 00330-53091-72799-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows Specs:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎3/‎11/‎2021
OS build 19042.928
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Driver:

NVIDIA Studio Driver

Version:462.31 Release date: 04/14/2021

Actions I have taken in attempts to speed things back up: 

Checked for windows and driver updates

Clean Driver install

Deleted Cache

Disk Cleanup (including temporary files)

Deleted everything in the Downloads Folder

Defragment and Optimize Drives

System Optimize for Performance (versus appearance)

Restart (obviously, but including that anyway)

I do a lot of remote collaborative editing, so going back to an earlier version of Premiere is not an option for me. The laptop I'm on is also less than 6 months old, and worked fabulously until the v15 update. I'm thinking Adobe may have just kicked PC/NVIDIA/ASUS to the curb, along with my recent $2k investment.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, I'm in v.15.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playhead is very slow to respond, even with media at 1/4 resolution and timeline fx turned off. Footage I'm working with isn't 4k, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't list the video card for that laptop.

I would note that 16GB of RAM is minimalist to work with PrPro these days. Yea, the hardware demands keep going up. Going to at least 32GB is pretty well needed for so much work these days. I had that in my last rig, my new desktop has 128GB. Some of my colorist acquaintances have 256GB of RAM ... wowza.

The workspaces changing is a problem that seems to wander through the user base. I had that for a bit with 15.0. But with 15.1 they've been very stable for me. It's weird how inconsistent that is across the user base.

One thing to be aware of ... having multiple fast drives is still a massive advantage with an NLE. I don't know if you can add an Nvme drive to that laptop, if you can, it could be a huge benefit. As could having a fast TB3 drive like the Samsung T5 and faster units. Many externals can't keep up sustained read/write access as PrPro needs, but the ones that can are well worth adding.

Breaking up your programs/OS, cache files, and media files on different drives can be a big boost to production.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I have the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super. It's a stand in until I can get an new 3070 for my desktop - last one got fried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit off of the ProMax media hub we use for remote collaboration, and Premiere is almost unusably slow. 
I appreciate your input. So you're thinking the Ram is the main problem, and that adding an NVME drive or an esternal SSD are both potential solutions?

I'm thinking of moving all my client projects off the computer to an external or to the cloud. Do you think that would also help? 

Currenlty I have 323 GB free of 934 on the C:drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding either RAM or an Nvme drive would help, I'd probably go RAM first. But take both in a heartbeat.

For cloud media, that's an issue for so many people as between the need for sustained throughput and the issues where cloud services routinely "resync" the files give a problem for working with that in an NLE.

My partner Mo is in Cape Town, South Africa ... and we are using the LucdLink file movement service utilizing the Amazon S3 servers in London to store our joint 'filespace'. The service moves media files in a very different fashion, and it seems near magical.

He can tell me via phone he's uploading a folder of media to the LucidLink "virtural drive" on his computer, which syncs it to our London filespace. Within a few seconds, the folder appears on my Explorer window on the L-L virtual drive, and a few more seconds and I start seeing mulitple file names appear.

I can immediately import them into Premiere, and drag/drop to create a new sequence and start playback. We're rather impressed. It's not always completely smooth playback, but most of the time, it's not much different than on local drives. We also both have decent and matched up/down internet services.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input Neil. I'm going to look into all these things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik,
Sorry about this. Have you trashed preferences? That's a good troubleshooting step. Other than that, sounds like two culprits in play. Media peformance and Media drive performance.

We need more info on this H.264. It might be 10 bit or 4:2:2. We do not know. My advice is always to transcode/create proxies to ProRes and then things begin to go right.

The other thing is the media drives. You say it's a shared drive? What is the capability as far as data throughput and this drive? What happens if you place media on a second SSD other than your OS? 

Those are the weak links in the chain, I think.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm there with you. All of a sudden nothing seems to work! Can't see where my clips are going while scrubbing through the timeline, panels glitching/disappearing, unable to edit text, drop-down menus dsiappear or are unavailable. No clue what I can do here. Seems pretty clear that something from this update is freaking out. Not happy, as I am have ALOT of projects due this week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you've updated premiere, revert to the previous version.   updates often demand better hardware.  And you're not giving us any information about your system so we really can't start to diagnose the problem if it's not the update...

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here they are:

Windows 10 Pro, 2OH2

i7 - 6800k 

32Gb ram

gtx 1070 6Gb

running premiere version 15.1 

nothing special in sequence settings, editing 1920x1080 video in ARRI, 29.97, etc... 

I have been editing 4k footage previously and it was fantastic. As soon as 15.1 comes out, I update... and everything starts to go wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

as I suggested in a previous post, maybe reverting to the previous premiere version that was working might be the smartest thing to do so you can get back to work....  but I understand the need to use the new features in 15.  I'm using the new captions workflow and it's saving me an incredible amount of time.

I'm not an expert on windows troubleshooting, although I do sometimes work on a windows machine and when I have issues, I've been able to figure out how to fix it...  It's never easy to troubleshoot these things remotely but if you can, try these suggestions in a systematic fashion and let us know your results.

Sometimes a clean windows and adobe install is necessary, but let's start with some basic stuff.  

Are you working on a project created in an earlier version of Premiere?  If so, try creating a new project and importing the old project rather than opening it directly.

Are you working with material or a project accessed over a network or from the cloud?  If so, try working with material that's stored on a drive attached directly to your computer.

What is the renderer setting in your project settings?  Might try changing it.

There are sometimes issues with the graphics card drivers.  People have reported serious issues when using the gaming version of the driver.  See if you can figure out what version you have and if you're not on the latest non-gaming version, update to that.

Try disconnecting any peripherals except mouse and keyboard.

Try disconnecting from network/internet either by turning off wifi or disconnecting the ethernet cable.

Try setting your audio input settings in the audio hardware preferences to None.

Try creating a new windows user account with administrator privileges and signing in to the new account.

Let's try these steps and then when can dig deeper if necessary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines