• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere On PC: Insert Clip from Source Window into Timeline

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 2020 Version 14.1.0 (Build 116)

Greetings all,

When having made In and Out Points on a given clip within the Source Window, you can hit Function + F9 to immediately insert that clip at the point where the playhead is located in the Timeline.

But what then happens is that clip in the source window disappears and I need to go back into the Files Bin to re-select my clip in order to continue making my quick rough cut. This is as opposed to the clip remaining in the source window and then me just making another set of In and Out points and repeating that process.

I am realizing that even though in my timeline settings I have "Set focus on the Timeline when performing Insert/Overwrite edits" unchecked, it still activates the timeline and plays the current frame. Because the playhead jumps to the end and there is nothing in that frame, it shows as black. So essentially, it still jumps to play the Timeline.

I just wanna try to blast through this rough cut (and every rough cut until eternity).

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, using FCP shortcuts. Cut from the same cloth as me I see.

I will say this: it is standard behavior for the Sequence playhead to be placed on the first frame AFTER the inserted clip, after performing an insert or overwrite. So seeing a black frame in your Program is normal if you've added a clip at the end of your sequence, because the first frame after your last clip is of course, nothing.

That said, your source panel shouldn't be closing or unloading your clip simply for doing an insert. You say you're having to push Fn + F9? Maybe toggle the role of Function keys at your OS level so you don't need to press Fn along with F9 to make an insert.

WILD THEORY TIME - By default, the F9 key pressed without Fn may be a play function or something on your keyboard, and maybe that's causing the program to advance via an OS shortcut/action. Usually when using FCP-commands, I'd suggest using that setting I mentioned. I want to say its in macOS keyboard settings that makes the Function keys default to their proper "F1/F2/F3" roles rather than whatever multimedia/screen hot functions they are assigned to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really appeciate the reply. 

I spent some significant amount of time with tech support. What was done was that I reverted back to v14.0.4. Then I had to close down the Program window. That seems to have worked though I gotta be honest, I don't quite feel satified.

I have changed that Insert hotkey to something a little more practical. Thanks for that idea.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines