• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere only exporting a small section of edited captions as SRT

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent about 3 days editing a captions file in Premiere for a 60 minute film. Now the captions are complete, I've exported the captions (select in project finder>export captions etc), but when I bring them back in to project (or a new project), only 3mins 50secs of the captions have exported to the new SRT file? Anyone know what could be causing it? Adobe phone support had no idea.

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 13.07.jpeg

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 13.07.06.jpgOn import again, the SRT only has 3'50 NOT 60'00 of captionsScreen Shot 2018-12-21 at 13.07.47.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 13.07.58.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Yay - I have a resolution.

Although there were no special characters or lines etc (everything is exactly as it should be), there must be a corruption in that individual caption.

To fix the issue, I had to delete the caption at the timecode that the .srt kept failing to export beyond (3'50), then create a new caption at this point on the captions and paste the same text. Fixed the export issue.

Had to repeat this at another two different points that it then subsequently wouldn't save beyond on an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the exported .srt in a text editor, are all the captions there?

Sometimes the export has a glitch or there is an editing error that creates a flaw in the file. This then prevents PR from reading the reimported file.

If all of the captions exported, look at the point in the file where it stops importing.

Post a link to the exported .srt, and I'll take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked - no it doesn't export them. If you open the exported text with text edit, it only has the ones that we reimport (up to 3'50min).

Here is a link to the PP project and original SRT file. If you open the project, all the edited captions should be there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vpzgfzgmg5ft160/AAAManByGf30tL00gAULo8Upa?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export from this project, they are all there.

So probably something in your main project.

Look around the area where the export is truncated. Special character, extra long line, something?

Another possibility is that you cannot split an srt stream and get what is on the timeline. But I don't think that is likely to be your problem. You'd just get what is in the project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still won't work for me. I've check for special characters etc and there's nothing unusual.

To confirm, have you been able to export the full edited captions as .srt? If so, please may you share with me?

Exporting as a video is not an issue, its exporting as .srt that is failing every time and not going past 3'50min.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go:

Dropbox - Stan Export.srt

Timecodes okay? Very odd if I can export it and you can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Weirdly, your .srt export still has the same issue when I import it on my mac? But i've found a resolution and posted it above.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats on getting this to work.

I could swear my export all reimported, but it doesn't now! Which of course means that user error (on my part) was likely.

And that is important, because it points to the flaw:

The caption you show as deleting (#20) does have something wrong; it is not corrupt as such. It has a "return" at the end of its text. If it were correct, on reimport, PR should see (with the PC style [CR][LF] shown for illustration):

20[CR][LF]
00:03:46,400 --> 00:03:50,800[CR][LF]
You want to get that prop, that costume, that whatever.[CR][LF]

[CR][LF]
21[CR][LF]

But on export PR has added the "extra" return, so it sees:

20[CR][LF]
00:03:46,400 --> 00:03:50,800[CR][LF]
You want to get that prop, that costume, that whatever.[CR][LF]

[CR][LF]

[CR][LF]
21[CR][LF]

When it sees the extra line, it stops the import.

Using a search for the extra return, I only found one more caption with that problem, #359. Fixing just those 2, the new export imports with all captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay - I have a resolution.

Although there were no special characters or lines etc (everything is exactly as it should be), there must be a corruption in that individual caption.

To fix the issue, I had to delete the caption at the timecode that the .srt kept failing to export beyond (3'50), then create a new caption at this point on the captions and paste the same text. Fixed the export issue.

Had to repeat this at another two different points that it then subsequently wouldn't save beyond on another two .srt files.

So resolution - delete the caption that it won't export beyond, then create a new one and paste text. Even though the text formatting was fine, the caption itself must have been corrupt at the point the .srt failed to export beyond.

Why this happened is an utter mystery, and beyond me. Hope this helps other Adobe users. Thanks for your help today Stan.

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 16.24.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this didn't work for me. 

Did anyone found a solution to this problem ever since?

I have feature film captions on my timeline and only first 10 minutes get exported:/ Help.

Working on Pr.Pro 2018 right now.

Do you know if Premiere Pro 2019 fixed this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eka, the PR programmatic "fix" would be for PR to be able to detect certain problems - such as having an extra return typed in the caption. I don't know if that will ever happen. Yes, there have been many fixes since 2018, but I suspect they do not address the problems here.

Are you looking at the exported file in a text editor?

Also, the caption here was all being exported; but all of it was not being reimported. Are you sure your whole stream is not being exported?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, 

Thanks for the answer. 
Yes, I'm looking at the file in text editor. 

I'm sure the whole stream is not even exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Did you import the original stream? Or create a new caption stream and add the captions in PR?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created new Open Captions in PR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines