Premiere Performance on 4K monitor

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer has always been powerful enough to edit and play back 4K videos in Adobe Premiere. It still is. I have an NVidia 1070 and an Intel i7 with 32 Gigabytes of RAM and some very fast solid state disks.

Until recently my computer had two monitors that were both 1920x1200 resolution. Recently I replaced one of those monitors with a 4K display. So my left monitor is 4k, and the right one is still 1920x1200. If Premiere is open on the old monitor, on the right, it still works as perfectly and smoothly as it always has. If Premiere is open on the new 4K monitor it also works perfectly unless any sort of video player in Premiere is open. If there is any sourt of video monitor open in Premiere while it is on the 4K display, the entire application slows to a crawl, and playback is unusably choppy.

I have confirmed that GPU rendering is enabled. NVidia driver is up to date. Premiere Pro CC is fully up to date. I tried restarting the computer and Premiere. I tried resetting all the settings. I tried disabling and enabling features like HDR and GSYNC in every combination. It just doesn't matter. Premiere Pro is unusable on the 4K monitor, but if I so much as simply drag it back to the old lower resolution monitor, it will spring to life and operate with buttery smoothness.

Here is a video I recorded of my desktop as proof. In the video I show myself able to move a Premiere window around both monitors with excellent performance. Then I import a test video of my hand waving about. The video plays 100% perfectly when the Premiere window is on the old monitor. When the Premiere window is moved to the new 4K monitor on the left, I can't even drag the Premiere window around smoothly. The whole application becomes a slideshow, including video playback. As soon as the window is moved back to the old monitor, it immediately goes back to operating normally.

https://streamable.com/vcs44j

This has nothing to do with making proxies or anything like that. Premiere can play 4K video perfectly fine on my non-4K monitor. Other video players like VLC, OBS, and YouTube can play 4K video perfectly fine on both monitors. Only Premiere Pro CC comes to a screeching halt if it contains a video player and is on my 4K screen.

I need a fix for this urgently, otherwise Premiere is basically unusable.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Enthusiast , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021
I tried disabling and enabling features like HDR and GSYNC in every combination.Just checking, G-Sync must be turned off in Nvidia control panel, not on the monitor. Have you tried with unchecked "Enable Transmit" ? (Preferences > Playback > Enable Transmit ) What refresh rate is for new monitor, is it the same as for the old one?

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried disabling and enabling features like HDR and GSYNC in every combination.

Just checking, G-Sync must be turned off in Nvidia control panel, not on the monitor. Have you tried with unchecked "Enable Transmit" ? (Preferences > Playback > Enable Transmit ) What refresh rate is for new monitor, is it the same as for the old one?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Disabling transmit completely fixed it.

Just FYI the 4K monitor refresh rate is 120 and the old one is 60. The monitor could run at 144, but the 1070 doesn't support it. I'll probalby take advantage of that in a few years with a 5080 or something. Also GSync is currently enabled for the new monitor, but only in full-screen mode. The old monitor isn't even gsync compatible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines