• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere play audio at full volume, regardless of speaker volume

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll preface this by saying I'm on a trashcan Mac Pro, but I don't think it's a blanket issue with the machine. I don't have this issue with any other A/V playback (YouTube, Quicktime, etc).

Whenever I unplug my headphones, Premiere completely ignores the machine's volume settings and blasts the audio from whatever sequence I'm editing at full volume. Plug the headphones back in, and volume controls work again.

It doesn't matter if I start with the headphones plugged in or not. I don't have any external speakers plugged in. Premiere appears to be recognizing the switch from one output to the other. It's just not responding to volume controls pertaining to the Mac's internal speakers.

Any reprieve from this loudness would be appreciated, but I'd especially love to hear solutions that don't require me to buy any extra accessories to jerry-rig a workaround.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Premiere Pro/Preferences (Mac) or Edit/Preferences (Windows)/ Audio hardware and check the default output when the headphones are not plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did check that. As I said, Premiere definitely recognizes the change from headphones to internal speakers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But to answer your question more accurately, default output is set to "Built-In Output" no matter what. When I click on the output settings button, it directs me to the sound panel in System Prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but with my headphone plugged in using "Built-In Output".  Really frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the onboard speakers on mac book pro (10.12.6), having same issue, latest version of premiere cc, volume control is ignored and audio is played back at full volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set Audio Hardware input to No Input.

See how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That has worked!

All good when using audio interface, but when using system audio no input is required? I'm pretty sure I've used built in mic as input before. Anyway, thank you. That helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that did not fix my problem. My MacBook is technically muted but the sound from Priemere is playing at mid-volume with zero control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going into you mac system preferences and changing the output to match what you've set in premiere. Might help, that ended up being the issue that brought me here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same here - I didn't understand why my volume control wasn't working. But my system audio was set to a non-working thing (a holdover from a program that shouldn't have been running any more) and when I changed that to my Macbook speakers I was able to control Premiere's volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. they just keep on launching new versions, trying to make you pay for tehm every month while not, instead of working on making their products bug free. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, I think I've got a potential solution.

I've got the same issue occasionally and tried doing as others have suggested, messing with the Audio Hardware and turning inputs off, etc.; this had no success unfortunately.

What I've found works is going into System Preferences -> Sound, then make sure output is set correctly. In my case I plugged my Sony WH1000XM4s in to work in PP and had zero control over system audio; even though Audio Hardware said output was through my External Headphones, my Mac's sound settings for whatever reason kept output to Built-In rather than automatically switching to External Headphones. I just changed the sound output to External and it all works now. 

I'm no technical guru at all, but I guess it's just a matter of the system sometimes not automatically switching output when headphones are plugged in or removed for some reason. On top of that Adobe doesn't exactly do a good job of playing nice with anything outside its own app. Just have to check that the settings are correct in both Premiere and your System Preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines