Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro 100 cpu in a transition.

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, 

I'm having a problem with premiere pro that I have never had before. 

Every time I use a transition my cpu spikes to 100% and my premiere pro is not usable for around 20 seconds.

I have a REALLY good pc with an i9 -9900k processor, and a geforce 2080 super, with 16gb of ram. So that can't be it.

Any help?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to tell you this, but your system definitely needs more RAM. 16 GB is IMHO too little RAM for anything with more than 4 cores and 8 threads. You're giving your system only 2 GB of RAM per physical CPU core. That's nowhere near enough RAM to handle anything more than simple cuts-only editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, my laptop, with 16 gb and a lot worse specs, can run all the edits..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why did it used to work perfectly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just the amount of RAM total, but it's also the amount of RAM per physical CPU core, in this instance. Your laptop's CPU has no more than 4 physical CPU cores; thus, your desktop effectively has far less RAM per physical CPU core than your laptop has.

In other words, the more CPU cores and threads you throw into a PC, the more RAM you'll need in order to work properly.

To put your two systems into an automotive analogy, while your laptop is like running a subcompact, puny-powered car with properly inflated tires, your desktop is like running a mid-sized sports sedan with half-deflated tires. In other words, you're choking the bigger system in performance despite having the same total amount of RAM as your laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it worked before i highly doubt that the amount of RAM is the cause. If it were, it should always have been issues with transitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The discussion starter did not specify which version of Premiere Pro he was using before and after. If the hangups occur only after a version upgrade, then it is likely that newer versions have gotten more finicky about the hardware configuration.

On the other have, if the errors occur in the same version that worked before, then it is highly likely that something else occurred in that system, such as malware or hardware failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What kind of transition do you use, one of the ones that are shipped with Premiere Pro or a third party transition?
  2. Do you have Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration enabled? (File > Project Settings > General)
  3. What happens if you create a brand new project and import two clips and place them butt to butt on a matching Timeline, trim the clips at the cut point and then finally add the transition to the cut point?

Since the issue is new it can be worth trashing the Preferences: FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere Pro?

Still an issue, this can be worth doing as well: FAQ: How to clear your cache in Premiere Pro 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Part of the probelm is that most transitions are not GPU accelerated. I would like to think that by 2020 all the transitions would be GPU accelerated and we would have a couple new transitions added each year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines