Exit

( Premiere Pro 13.4 ) 4K H.264 GPU Encoding doesn't work

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system:

AMD Ryzen7 1700

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB (Driver 451.48)

16GB RAM

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Premiere Pro setting is confirmed:

1) Preferences>Media>Enable hardware accelerated encoding and decoding

2)Project Settings>General>Renderer:Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

3)File>Export>Media>Encoding Settings-Hardware Encoding

When playback timeline  OR  4K Exporting, the loading of GPU around 5~20% showing in the Task Manger.

Anyone can help me , what's problem ??

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest NVIDIA drivers (June 2020, v450) are bugged with CUDA/GPU accel.

Go to NVIDIA's site and find an older driver version and rollback the drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar computer system as yours...  Ryzen 7 1800x, GTX 1050ti (cuda enabled)   I was told over a year ago, that hardware acceleration was only for Intel based CPU systems.  Are you settings correct ?  Is so, can I now enable it and also enable hardware acceleration in After Effect also?

Thanks for your advice,
Letty

also... in your settings for #3... is that in Media Encoder?  because in PPro, I  couldn't find     File>Export>Media>Encoding Settings-Hardware Encoding

when I get to media, it opens Media Encoder....  and when I hit "que"  it opens the full program and I see the drop down is Hardware Cuda setting.  Is that right also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dennis 9,

GPU utilization in Premiere Pro is dependent on several factors like the type of effects used in the timeline, the media specifications and the complexity of the timeline. Also, are you saying that the Hardware Encoding is not working because of the low GPU utilization, or are you are actually not seeing any difference in the export time between the Software Encoding and Hardware Encoding? Please let us know the type of media files (format/codec, frame rate and frame size) that you are working with and the effects applied to these clips. Also, please send us a detailed screenshot of the export settings. We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple years ago I learned Hardward Accel was only for Intel CPU's.  My Ryzne wouldn't use it.  But I just happened on this page and found out Ryzen CPU can now do it.  It seems to be working.  I set PPro to hardware accel, and in media encoder I tried out the H.265 preset w/hardward accel, and when exporting the gpu's performacne was encoding up and down around 30% to 60% (in the task manager) .... and the CPU was jumping as high as 50% as well.  Exported 3 mins and 45 secs of footage w/upscaling and AE masking in exactly 2 mins time, so I think it's working fine.

The H.265 exported audio and video together in one file, where as the H.264 has 2 files, audio and video.  I'm not sure if I did that in the settings, or is that how it is?

Thanks for your help and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, AMD CPUs still do not have a compatible hardware encoder. In reality, beginning with version 14.2, Premiere Pro now supports hardware encoding through selected Nvidia (NVENC) and AMD (VCE/VCN) discrete GPUs. In the case of Nvidia, not all GPUs have a hardware encoder (among currently available GPUs, the GT 1030 and the mobile MX GPUs have the NVENC encoder disabled or missing).

In other words, it's now the GPU (in your case, the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) that's doing the hardware encoding for you. Not the AMD CPU. And if you have a high-enough performance GPU installed in your PC, the encoding speed is even faster than Intel QuickSync (in its present-day form) will ever be.

By the way, had you been using Intel QuickSync (available on mainstream Intel CPUs with their integrated Intel HD, UHD or Iris graphics enabled) for hardware encoding, and you installed a discrete GPU, then NVENC or VCE/VCN will take over from QuickSync for hardware encoding duties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines