• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 14.3.1 is seriously lagging on a brand new Mac. Please fix before I'm forced to switch.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read literally hundreds of posts describing the same issue. 

Brand new computer, with the latest version of Premiere and the playback doesn't funtcion. 

It is NOT because I have to playback at a lower quality or use proxie files. Give me a break.

My old machine with the same project file and media files plays solid as a rock. 

When does Adobe plan to fix this bug. I love Premiere but money does talk. I have real work to do and Premiere is no longer a viable tool to use to get my job done. 

Adobe engineers: Please Fix!!

Thanks, 
Rob

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried dropping back to 14.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read alot of comments this morning that this worked for alot of users, can you explain how to goabout doing this? Thanks man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robja,

Sorry, man. Sounds like you need to delete Media Cache with all projects closed. Choose File > Close All Projects and from the Home screen, to to Preferences > Media cache and press the Delete button. If that doesn't do it, let us know. If it does, also let us know.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suddenly experiencing the same issue as Robja237

Premier was running fine up till a few days ago. Now its lagging out of control, sometimes I can't even stop the playback button. I went to the extreme and backed everything up on my machine and reinstalled my mac...still same problem. It runs for a while fine and then the lagging begins. I've watched every performance tutorial, I manually delete all cache files, I'm not running any other apps. My machine is purely for premier and the documentary I'm working on. I don't know what else you guys can suggest at this point. There are hundreds of users with the same issue? I have also have the constant 'Low level exception occured in device controller warning'...everything was working fine...but now I can barely run a program with 10 clips in without lag?

I'm running High Sierra - 10.13.6

2,8 GHz Intel Core i7

16gig ram MHz DDR3

with a 500gig SSD

Please don't tell me my machine is old etc. Premier has worked fine for over a year with this setup, and now nothing but lagging and a documentary to finish.

Please help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is one of the first things I tried. The fact that adobe sends their employees with this kind of belittling advice for longtime paying subscribers is just adding insult to the injury that is this train-wreck of an update is.

Please don't be this way Kevin. Please just sincerely try to help.

I have people paying me to complete video projects for them. They have deadlines and therefore so do I. If adobe cannot get the job done, another platform will have to do. I don't want to abandon this product -- but with money on the table and the clock counting down -- what am I suppose to do?

This time it is an adobe issue. There is no debating this fact. They should simply acknowledge the issue and address it. 

The only question is, did adobe announce that it is working on this problem and when the fix is expected to be.

Kevin, if you can ask this question to the proper engineer who would know the correct answer. 

Thanks,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious how anybody is supposed to know anything about your experience level when trying to help you? Those are the first suggestions because they tend to help people much of the time... If you've already done that, then you can say so in your post. Please list all the things that you've tried, then people can skip that part. The majority of posters here are new to Premiere, so 99% of the time you need to start with some pretty basic suggestions. It doesn't mean you need to get defensive about your ability-level. Nobody is trying to belittle you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil

I’m deep in the mix of a full length docci. As you know when you’re in the flow you need to run with it. I’ve been an Adobe user since the beginning. I’m desperate to find solutions. As I mentioned in my previous query, this issue really happened all of a sudden. I have multiple projects I’m busy with (some with heavy loads) and all have run fine till the update. I’ve tried all the obvious fixes (I’m well versed in all the performance options and platform fine tuning) nothing is working at this point and after a few editing sessions it’s just not functional as a work space in any way. Even render time is unrealistic. For me it really feels like an update issue/OS compatibility problem. Or some basic functions in the update that are struggling to find compatibility? As you can imagine when a filmmaker is this deep in a project and the wheel fall off it can be super frustrating...where do we go from here? All suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance 🤙🏻 Jack 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I completely understand that frustration - and I think anyone here understands. My comment wasn't directed at you. I do agree with you and think that there are certain combinations of hardware/drivers/OS/Premiere version that just end up not clicking for whatever reason. It's generally accepted wisdom to never change versions in the middle of a project (and you are unfortunately learning one of the primary reasons why!) I hope that you can roll back to 14.2 and continue working without issue - also I know it was said already but when you're changing versions you should clear your media cache and let it reload. I'm not saying that's tied to the encode time issue, that's just good practice if you do roll back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Phil...I feel like a self professed Adobe optimisation guru at this point. 

To those who's Adobe Premier Pro software is seriously lagging, playback is staggering and your projects have suddenly reached an unacceptable workflow...Mac users do as follows...

Creative Cloud is the devil, switch off automatic updates and disable any communication between CC and Pr.

The most likely reason for your current issue is the update (which is supposed  to be a bugfix and performance enhancement is not) 

If your were previously running a smooth workflow on a stable OS, that's where you want to return to...

For me Premier became unusable as a documentary maker in the throws of editing a full length film.

The first thing you going to want to do is 'Roll Back' to the version of Pr you were using before the issues. In my case it was back to version 4.2 - before 4.3 and the devil himself 4.3.1

This is done by going to your installed apps in Creative Cloud and clicking on the 3 dots to the right of the open tab. There you will see 'other versions' for you to choose the version you were using before...and click

Once you've reinstalled the version for you you're going to want to go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPqCKMTDCVs and do what this fella tells you to optimise the version.

Thirdly MANUALLY delete your cache folders between edits/opening projects. I created an alias folder on my dektop and religiously delete all files between sessions (yes it will take a bit longer to reload all the little bits before editing) but it will ensure all deleted files in the current project are no longer reloaded.

To find where Pr has hidden your cache files go to the application folder for Pr and show contents.

Do this in finder...hold down the 'alt' button while clicking on 'go' in the finder menu, and a hidden listing for 'library' will now be there...click it. Click on 'Application Support' - 'Adobe' - right click on 'Common' and 'Make alias'. Drag this new Common Alias file onto your desktop as this is your window to freedom. (I'll get back to that shortly)

Number 4 - Restart your machine a few times during the day and your edit, don't ask me why, but it helps.

Number 5 -  When you're done for the day and you've saved and shut down your session click on that 'Common' alias file you've created on your desktop. You'll see 2 folders 'Media Cache' and 'Media Cache File' open them and delete EVERYTHING that's in those two. 

Second last - Before starting your work (once Pr is open) Shut down Creative Cloud. It's going to tell you, 'If you quit now blah blah' but remember CC is the devil...hit quit.

Finally - Open Activity Monitor (you'll find this is your launchpad in the 'other' folder', click the 'memory' tab and you'll see another little devil called, 'Adobe desktop service' - click on him and hit the little 'x' and shut him down, this will free up wasted memory on useless services.

In closing, this was a 2 week fact finding mission, I tried everything and finally my Pr is back to her usual self, my current project is filled with huge files, I don't use proxies or render out my timeline and I'm running at half resolution in my program monitor - with zero lag or crashes. (and I was the king of lag) I really hope this works for you too.

ADOBE, and yes that includes you Kevin...you can do better, inform your clients not to upgrade if your system works (this should be in capitals on the virtual box), answer the queries properly and timely. We are the workforce using your product and have been supporting you for years. It's the right thing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines