Highlighted

Premiere Pro 14.3 - Generating new Peak Files for .R3D files every time I open the same project

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely absurd to me. I have a project with 26.5 TERABYTES of .R3D (RED Files) and Premiere Pro 14.3 (but the last 4 updates as well) generates new Peak Files for EVERY clip EVERY TIME I open the project. This process can take HOURS.

Why can't Premiere Pro refrence the peak files made for the exact same clip stored on my PC (As well as MAC from my tests) from yesterday? 

This process seems comically redundant and has been an issue since at least 2015 looking at the forums. 

Disabling automatic Waveform creation in Edit> Prefrences does nothing to solve or speed up the problem. It takes HOURS to load a project now. Which means I simply cannot shut the project down once it's loaded. 

ADOBE. PLEASE address this problem. 

Topics

Anywhere, Audio, Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro 14.3 - Generating new Peak Files for .R3D files every time I open the same project

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely absurd to me. I have a project with 26.5 TERABYTES of .R3D (RED Files) and Premiere Pro 14.3 (but the last 4 updates as well) generates new Peak Files for EVERY clip EVERY TIME I open the project. This process can take HOURS.

Why can't Premiere Pro refrence the peak files made for the exact same clip stored on my PC (As well as MAC from my tests) from yesterday? 

This process seems comically redundant and has been an issue since at least 2015 looking at the forums. 

Disabling automatic Waveform creation in Edit> Prefrences does nothing to solve or speed up the problem. It takes HOURS to load a project now. Which means I simply cannot shut the project down once it's loaded. 

ADOBE. PLEASE address this problem. 

Topics

Anywhere, Audio, Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the files stored?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also driving me absoultely nuts. I have a project whihc wants to generate over 22,000 new peak files and consequently takes hours. Have had the worst day today - achieved nothing. The number of these s peak files is likely to double over the course of the project as I am cutting an observational dococ for whihc there are often 8 tracks of sound for one piece of video.

Is the only solution really to leave the machine on all the time?? Not at all environmentally friendly.

Please help. I've wasted the whiole day. I only upgarded to latest version of PP last week and it is since then that this process seems to have slowed to snail's opace.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the files stored, both the original media and the peak files ... local disc, network server, what? Just trying to get more data here.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you post a short clip and I'll see if I see the same behavior...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmmm. I usually don't have that problem on a pc.

Typically I only do projects around 20 terabytes long from Red X and I always use the sound from 'in camera' like you because the quality is so good ( rather than slate and record from external recorder ).

I don't know why 26 terabytes would cause a problem.

Maybe you could try using an Arri camera instead ? Beats me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This is Matt from Adobe.

I can try to help but I'll need a little more information.  

What kind of NAS is the footage stored on?  

Was the footage imported via the Media Browser, or were the raw files dragged in from Windows Explorer?

Can you post pictures of a couple of your preferences so I have a sense of your configuration?  Can you post a picture of Preferences>Media Cache... and Preferences>Media... will be a good start.

"Disabling automatic Waveform creation in Edit> Preferences does nothing to solve or speed up the problem". This is one of the first problem solving steps that I would recommend.  If you turn off Peak file creation, you will need to close Premiere, and I HIGHLY recommend you manually delete the Media Cache Database, the Media Cache files, and the Peak files folders inside of the Common folder.  If there are left over .pek files that are still being generated , Premiere will attempt to keep recreating them even after you turn off the waveform generation.

Also, the media cache locations should be on a fast, local disk, not on a shared network disk.  Attempting to share the Media Cache among multiple users and machines will end in nothing but errors.  (Please understand that I say this with zero insight into how you have everything set up, and can only make broad statements about the functionality of the Media Cache)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
salvo34 LATEST
Advocate ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted a DP who used to work on episodic TV stuff, and asked how many terabytes he used per episode, so he contacted an AC friend and got this info:

We shoot with 3 sony cameras and each one is about 1 terabyte per day... the shoot lasts 10 days per episode, so that is 30 terabytes.

I didn't get dimension or codec info, but for TV broadcast it's probably full HD most of the time. Some stuff might go up due to VFX down the line, but I  kinda doubt it. It's like a factory... the workflow.

This post is so ridiculous it's beyond silly. Good luck getting truth and specs, cause nobody in the world in pro work would have posted a whining complaint like this, blaming Adobe for the past 5 updates for this without adding all the info, you, Matt, just asked for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines