• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 14.4 Constant Fatal Crashes (Macintosh)

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After endless fatal crashes of PrPro 14.4 on my MacPro (Mojave 10.14.6), I found the only solution was to roll back to 14.3.2, which stopped the crashes. I don't know what's wrong with this version, but there is something really wrong with it. Before downgrading, here's what I did (including multiple reboots of the Mac) for those who may come after me:

• Cleared out all caches: previews, pek & cfa files
  • Changed the a difference volume (to rule out disk error)
  • Reset workspaces, layouts
  • Restarted with shift-option down to completely reset
  • Removed (manually) the entire 14.0 folder from /Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro
  • Removed (manually) the entire Media Core folder from /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/
  • Removed (manually) other folders buried deep down, and finally,
  • Twice removed the entire install (including all preferences) and reinstalled from scratch.

I essentially stripped out every conceivable file but version 14.4 would fatally crash over and over again when doing the simplest of actions: simply scrubbing in the timeline, merely changing a layout, or just moving between panels. Boom! Out of nowhere: Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere Pro to shut down. (When the crashes started in the 90 feature film I've been editing without problems previously, I eventually began a new, very small project from scratch with just 1 video file and 3 graphic elements...made no difference.)

I've sent crash reports to Apple and to Adobe with my note: crashes abruptly and for no apparent reason editing the simplest of timelines!!

Here's hoping the crash reports help 'cause version 14.4 has got something wrong with it.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Cleaner tool before reinstalling per below:

Be sure to run the Adobe Cleaner after you uninstall the programs and before you re-install them:
Also, reboot your computer between steps even if you are not asked to...

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just completed another episode using your suggestion:

I deleted PrPro but also entirely deleted the entire CC Suite and anything else Cleaner would "clean" to no avail.

I even logged into another user account on my MacPro that has never run PrPro and opened a project file from there.

More fatal crashes.

I don't know what's going on. Along with this, is a chronic problem with being unable to download sync settings: see this post about that aggravating issue. I don't know if these two issues are related but there seems to be a problem on the server side.

All of this is frustrating and demoralizing. 

It's really upsetting because I am working on a feature film and Premiere Pro's epic crashes are really interfering with getting my work done. There are actors and crew, not to mention producers, who are wondering why this is taking so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and what are your source properties and sequence settings?

You said "I found the only solution was to roll back to 14.3.2, which stopped the crashes." So what's the problem with working in the earlier version of 2020? 

I understand the desire to work with the latest and greatest, but you make it sound like your jobs on the line... and it sound like 14.3.2 is working for you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thanks for your quick reply, that helped to calm the frayed nerves, lol!

Second, as to, Why upgrade when the downgrade was working: Actually, I didn't mention that 14.3.2 also began to have abrupt crashes. Thus, I got into the mindset that I might as well rip out everything (as described) and just start from scratch, and then see if 14.5 fixed the problem. (The frustration is that I've been working in PrPro for the past couple of years, same system, without these crashes.)

And finally, to address the other areas:

Premiere Pro versions 14.3.2, 14.4, and 14.5

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with 64 GB RAM and AMD FirePro D700 on a MacPro6,1 (Trashcan) Mac.

Regarding things like source properties & sequences settings: Although this has been occurring with a 90 minute feature editing BlackMagic RAW DNG files on a BlackMagic MultiDock (4 2-TB SSDs RAID0 via Thunderbolt2), I have also tried a very simple sequence with one short video added a couple of titles, editing from the system's internal SSD, which also provided abrupt crashes.

Then yesterday, I tried using a new user login that had not had PrPro run (so fresh everything), and PrPro 14.5 still crashed.

I thought that maybe some plugins were the problem, but after the clean install of all of CC apps, those were no longer installed, but there may still be something lurking. I saved the .dmp file from the crash that happened in the new user account, if you want to see that.

Does any of this help?

Again, the quick reply was wonderful...thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

wondering if it could be an issue with BlackMagic RAW DNG files. When you did the short test was it with dng files?  Could you try transcoding to something like prores proxy and see if you can edit without issues.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Graphics card latest driver...

It is my understanding that Macs don't need updates to drivers the way Windows machines do. If there is an update, the system would install it upon a normal update process but "update your drivers" isn't a phrase you hear often (or ever, really) in the Mac world. (Your question threw me a little and upon searching, the only references to updating drivers on Macs was for using Windows in Bootcamp where the update is a .exe file.)

But you got me thinking because a Mac is basically a fancy (although well-integrated) interface to a UNIX file system underneath, so I am wondering if there is a permissions issue somewhere deep down.

Re: Short test using DNG files...

The little test used a normal video file (.m4p or .mov or something normal) just 20 seconds long with just adding a couple of titles over it. Also, not on the RAID0 SSD-based MultiDock, so very basic.

Another thing that is more common to Windows but can still be necessary sometimes in the Mac world is to re-install the OS. I've been thinking that could be a fix. It's just odd only Premiere is crashing, which continues to make me think there's something wonky with an Adobe-specific file.

I'd love to find someone who knows how to read the .dmp file I saved from the last crash. Seems like the answer could be buried in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I doubt there's a solution to this but this issue continues to plague me, get in the way of my work flow, cause endless aggravation, and is chronically UPSETTING with no end in sight. Just so you can see for yourself, a very short video (ironically made with Premiere Pro, lol) to show how just scrubbing in a short sequence causes this abrupt and unforgiving crash...

Also, PrPro crashed 3 times when just making this 15 second video on a project a mere 13 KB in size. So, I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this when render 
Prefences - Media - Unthick the H264 hardware acceleration decoding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This specific issue occurs out of nowhere, often when doing something as simple as scrubbing in the timeline or switching panels. The app crashes are really that capricious, but thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines