• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 15.0: exported .mp4 video hangs in the last few seconds of playback

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to 15.0 and it seems like the H.264 container is broken across your products. Videos export fine from Premiere, but the exported .mp4 video hangs in the last few seconds of playback. I tried deleting media cache, moving the 14.9 sequence to a new project, new sequence, the works. I even tried exporting as a QT 422 .mov and then converting that to H.264 in Media Encoder 15.0. The .mov plays perfectly all the way to the end. But the converted .mp4 from Media Encoder using that perfectly playing .mov file also hangs at the end of playback, same as the Premiere-produced file. I've also tried to queue from Premiere to ME to export with the same hanging results. Any insight?

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I forgot to mention I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the program just to see if that would help with the same hanging results. Complete computer restart, the works. I'm on a 2017 iMac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing the playback issue on a similar Mac, Joey. I'm running Mojave still, though. Are you using Hardware Encoding?

Cheers,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on BigSur 11.2.3. Could that be the issue? I've seen BS cause problems with other systems software so far.

Tried both Software and Hardware Encoding with the same result, leading me to believe that the H.264 container encoding itself is broken.

Worst case, I can just roll back to 14.9 and hope that an .aaf export will save me from re-editing the entire sequence. I was forced to go to 15.0 because my editing partner started a new project in it and I couldn't access without updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Joey,

Sorry for this. Any time there is an update with macOS, I always repair Adobe folder permissions. Here's that process: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html Try it on a brand new project and get back to me.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Changed folder permissions as instructed. Duplicated project file, opened duplicate, copied sequence, opened new project. Pasted sequence. Exported from new project both hardware and software. Both exported successfully. Playback on both still same issue, hanging in the last few seconds of playback. Looks like classic case of interruption of export, but the file itself shows thumbnail and showing as complete mp4. Playback hanging in both preview and QT player.

Thanks for the support so far btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an exercise, I also opened a new project and imported fresh raw footage from a Sony A7S (.mp4). So completely new sequence in fresh 15.0 project, has nothing to do with an old 14.9 project. Tried exporting unedited raw footage in timeline as H.264 > Match Source - High Bitrate in both Hardware and Software -- no change. Still hanging in the last few/couple seconds of playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Debbie is having a similar problem. Can you export ProRes? Hopefully, she'll respond.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought it might be a Sony raw file handling problem, so I threw in some C100 raw footage and exported that at H.264 -- same hanging issue. Tried ProRes 4k DCI -- no issues, perfect playback. I think at this point, I've troubleshot enough for Adobe without pay. Have your engineers look into it further. For the time being, I'll just stay on 14.9 and export AAFs when I need to.

Thank you though, for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Joey. I'll see if I can get a reproducible case in house. Your help has been invaluable. Honestly, thank you!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, our engineers cannot reproduce the issue. I'm going to forward along the info you just gave me about the Sony/C100/ProRes source, and your export settings.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

That's strange. H.264 encoding works flawlessly for me in 14.9, broken in 15.0. Must be user error. I do quite enjoy exporting/importing AAFs all the time. Really streamlines the workflow.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it and at least being responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One correction to forward:  I was mistaken about the workstation I'm on being an iMac Pro. It's a work computer so I assumed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One question if you have a sec. Are you exporting to a NAS? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines