Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 15.0 uses 100% CPU and hangs when generating t and or BSOD

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to revert back to 14.9

15.0 would cause my system (threadripper 2950x and 64GB of ram) to use 100% CPU while it was generating thumbnails and then it would hang on 100% usage and make my computer unresponsive until either it caused a BSOD or I was able to force quit.

Able to repoduce the issue at will. 

Imported the same footage into 14.9 and 0 issues. 

Can provide video of the issue occuring if needed.

GPU - 1080ti 461.92 drivers

Windows 10 - 20H2

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are editing H.264 it will take a while to genrate the thumbnails. There are ways to speed up the editing process as seen in the video below. If you are getting a bluescreen of death make sure your RAM and GPU are seated 100%. If so reinstall Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er928vTLQ-o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a hardware issue. This is Premiere 15.0. I can use 14.9 for a week straight and render 100 proejects out and have no issues. I can also game, run all my stores etc (without rebooting). 

This is ONLY when using Premiere 15.0 - nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not saying it is not a bug but based on your info it could have been a hardware issuse. The newest version could use more RAM. If the RAM is not seated 100% correct it could cause the blue screen of death. I watched your video and did not see a blue screen of death. Are you over hyping things? Obviously something has changed and the update did not go well. Reinstalling Windows might solve the problem. My system works fine. My system's CPU does not get stuck at 100%. Keep in mind no one else has experienced this.

One version of Premiere Pro caused my CPU fan to constantly rev at 100% although the older version I still had on my computer did not. I reinstalled the OS and everything ended up working out OK for the newest version. Do you see my point? It could have been in glitch in Windows or Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean it happens every time with the CPU usage going to 100% and hanging. I can recreate the problem at will, I just have to let the program create thumbnails.

That video I posted didn't have the BSOD - the one I posted in the Facebook group did. 

I've been using Premiere for at least a year now with no issues (unlike a lot of people) - this is the first real issue I've seen since moving to Premiere from Vegas.

I have no issues at all with 14.9 so I will continue to use it until Adobe patches 15.0 as I'm definately not reinstalling Windows over one program anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you bother reading what I wrote?

I stated I had two versions of Premiere Pro on my system. The latest version caused the CPU to rev at 100% the older version did not. I could repeat the issue 100% of the time. I had my system up and running for over a year. Only one other person had this issues. I reinstalled Windows and everything worked OK after that. I even sent a private message to Kevin Mohohan about the issues. Your CPU gets pegged at 100% and my CPU fan got pegged at 100% even though the CPU was not even hot. Unlike yourself I concluded it was a glitch in my system so I did a wipe and reload. After I did that everything worked OK. You are concluding it is a glitch in Premiere Pro and I admit that might be the case but you could reinstall Windows and Premiere Pro and eliminate any doubt. Sometimes that is the only method that will work for any NLE systems. Keep in mind all NLE systems have bugs and bad installs not just Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a reinstallation of Windows is a bit drastic just to fix one buggy software version. That is way more trouble than it's worth (I'd have to reinstall everything on my computer? No thanks) since 14.9 works just fine.

And yes I'm aware that all NLE have issues, I've been editing for over 10 years. I'm not trying to bash Premiere, but this latest version does have an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way - I did uninstall 15.0 and then manuall remove the cache folder, rebooted Windows, reinstalled 15.0 and it was the same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you have the same problem because it is probably a combination of Windows and Premiere Pro causing the CPU to get pegged at 100%. Keep in mind no one else is getting the blue screen of death? Do you see my point? As I stated it could be a bug and you could file a bug report but a wipe and reload might solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reporting here with a 1950x threadripper, RTX 3090 and 128gb of ram.

Premiere 14.9 works flawlessly, premiere 15 will make my cpu 100% upon opening any project containing any video (not just h264) and make everything from cursor to task manager lag so bad that it has borderline freezed.

This goes on untill i manage to force close premiere or the system just gives  up and bsods

This seems to happen only to amd threadrippers as literally every complaint about this is people using a threadripper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experienced this with a very nice editing machine.  14.9 works perfect, 15.0 and 15.1 max out at 100% for no apparent reason and make it unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just done some more testing.

When building thumbnails in 14.9 it is almsot instantaneous and uses 30% of my CPU.

When building thumbnails in 15.0 it uses 100% of my CPU, occasionaly locks up the computer and takes about 1-2 minutes to build the thumbnails. 

To be clear, I have never had issues with Premiere. I can edit a 4k Project, Encode multiple files in Media encoder, have 20 tabs open and even play a game at the same time with no slow downs.

This is specfic to Premiere 15.0. 

Video  showing - Video Mar 27, 8 46 08 AM - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you post it here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted there. I mean it's not hurting me anymore because I'm not using 15.0 anymore, but the devs should address the issue and fix it for people who might not know to roll back.

Who knows, this could be related to Threadrippers or something 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeingthe same issue on an AMD CPU - may be related.  14.9 works fine 15.0 and 15.1 hang the PC ( in my case whenever I add graphic overlays on video).  There is clearly some AMD (?) related bug here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These things can be so frustrating and hard to pin down. I'm running a 24 core 3960x w/128GB of RAM ... and not having any issues with either 2021 shipping or the public beta.

Why the difference? Don't know.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: Give that a try with a NEW project. New project, then drop in the folder, see how that does.

I just did the same thing as you did on a project that started in 2017, and brought it up each release since. It worked OK as expected, and Task Manager 2021 showed similar to yours with 2020.

PP 2021 (15.0)

GPU - 1070 461.92 driver

Windows 20H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave that a shot. It did load quicker - BUT thumbnail creation would still max out my threadripper at 100% and hang. And then, when I closed the project (because i wanted to clear the cache to see if that made a difference) premiere still had me sitting at close to 100% - with no project open - video attached. (Premiere 14.9 I can instantly create video thumbnails with 30% or less CPU usage)

https://youtu.be/Y_fRAJiNh9g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it would work the first time.

But after i saved, closed premiere and reopened that same project that had loaded just fine when importing an old project into an empty new one...

The same thing happened, 100% cpu usage and everything lags until the system crashes.

Premiere isnt actually usable at any point, since this 100% cpu usage goes on till the system gives up or i manage to close premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly that's odd with the app just sitting there with no project open. I could be finishing up something, but it seemed to go on for a long time. You can post the UserVoice link here so people can upvote the issue. I'm on Intel, so I can't say for TR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences and/or reseting your workspace?
Reset your preferences by holding shift+alt (or option) when you launch Premiere

Uninstall using the Adobe CC Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried. Same results. Generating thumbnails uses 90-100% of CPU resulting in general system instability until thumbnails are done generating. Even then sometimes it reamins at high usage. Closed it down, tried the same thing in 14.9 - thumbnails refreshed in less than 20 seconds using 20-30% CPU usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I've wasted enough of my time trying to troubleshoot this.

I'll let Adobe work on it and in the meantime I'll be using 14.9 happily.

Thanks all for the ideas and troubleshooting helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use 14.9 that is your choice. What is Adobe going to work on? Is there a bug in Premiere Pro or a bug in your computer?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-pro-wont-launch-loading-importerquicktime-prm/t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines