I moved from PPro 2015.4 to 2017 and I have an issue with the playback of my timelines.
When I play the timeline, it does not play the frames in order, instead it jumps back and forth.
00:00:02:01 -> 00:00:02:02 -> 00:00:02:03 -> 00:00:02:04 -> 00:00:02:03 -> 00:00:02:05 -> 00:00:02:06 -> 00:00:02:05
This seems to happen at random, as I have this issue with everything in the timeline, no matter which sequence settings, fileformat or framerate I am working at.
The dropped frame counter says 0 and shows up as green as well.
The problem does not show up in the exported file, but it is unbearable to work in the timeline with this issue.
No problems with PPro 2015.4.
Updated both Premiere and my nVidia drivers
Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 3930K 3.20GHz 6-core
SSD Boot Drive
7200rpm disk drive - PPro and media are on seperate drives
Here is a slowed down version of my playback monitor where you can see the problem:
What is the source of your media files?
Is this issue specific to these media files or happening with all?
Please clean the media cache and re-launch your project in CC2017.
I have used media files from both my internal 7200rpm drives and external USB3 drives, but with no luck.
This happens with all the files I have tried so far, h264, cineform, avi, mpeg etc
I have also tried to clear the cache, but with no improvement.
Please try these steps & check if that makes any difference:
Tried what you suggested, but it had no improvement, the issue is still there unfortunately.
Ignoring the timecode for a moment, do you see anything amiss with the playback of the video itself?
The video stutters like crazy, but not as if there were dropped frames, it just skips back a frame on random.
Is the Lumerti Scopes panel open when this happens? If so, close it. Problem still there?
Did not have the Lumetri Scopes open no.
Solved: Click the spanner icon on the bottom right corner of the program monitor and uncheck "enable transmit" in the menu. (hey adobe why don't you hire me to answer these questions? You guys aren't.)
Thanks James, this did the trick! Thank you!
Thanks for your input, James!
did you have this problem again later?
i have same issue now and this trick with disabling transmist didnt help at all....
Win10 - Premiere prr cc2017.02 // i7 5820k - 16Gb ddr4 ram, ssd samsung pro 850 , gtx970 latest drivers.
maybe there is some other solution?
I as well have the problem this is the only thing that is the closest towhat my problem sounds like, I tried the check enable transmits but he problem persists. In time I'll figure it out I guess.
I am having the same issue with Adobe Premiere Pro 2020. The playback on both Timeline Panel and Program Monitor Panel goes back and forth. This is a highly frustrating experience. Unchecking 'Enable Transmit' did not help.
Do you have any headsets plugged in? I unplugged mine and it just started t work.Plugged it back in, and the problem came back. I have the 3.5 connector that has both audio and mic.
OMG. this was my problem too. I've been sitting here for an hour, and then i saw your comment and tried unplugging. it worked. WHY IS THIS A THING
I had to disable the Audio hardware/default input. Set it to no input. Problem solved. I was also having issues with footage that went back and forth repeating frames.
I have the same issue, unchecking the transmist didnt help.
Try Changing the Audio delay under your hardware settings. I noticed if my Delay was set too low, the video would skip back.
Matthew, where can you find this setting? I've tried all the other solutions and nothing works.
I have the same issue - I have tried it on multiple machines with multiple projects and the same footage (which is fine viewed in any other program) glitches no matter what. None of the previous solutions in this thread worked.
Finally just ditched the footage and used something else because I had no other options. Was hard to find this thread or any other helps on it.
For anyone who still has this problem, if you also have no audio your problem could be the same as mine. Go to edit>preferences>audio hardware. Change "Device Class" to MME and configure it to the correct output/input options.
If it's already that and you DO NOT get any audio try to change it to any other option avaliabe. If this does not fix your issue, idk, good luck!
Just wanted to add to this old thread in case any one was still searching for a solution like me. I found out that it was an audio issue. I have two sound cards, one on the motherboard and an external DAC. Usually I use the external DAC which works fine. One day I switched to the internal sound card and this issue started happening. Switched back over to the DAC and no issues at all.