• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2017 uses more RAM than exists on my system

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a strange problem to me because after working on this computer for a few years with its primary use being to edit similar projects (GoPro footage)with no similar issues, all of a sudden Premiere just started wigging out on me for this specific project.

I'll be editing a fairly simple project and according to the Activity Monitor Premiere Pro is using 40-60GB of RAM(I only allocated 11 GB of the 16 GB on my system for Premiere) and then Premiere will freeze on me.  Sometimes it will just go straight to the Beach Ball of death and other times it will say that I'm using too much memory/RAM and give me the option to "Resume" in the Force Quit Menu.  

The project I am editing is all GoPro Hero 3+ Black footage, most of GoPro footage is 2.7k 29.97, I'm editing on an HD 23.976 timeline, and using a few mp3s for audio.  I’m working off of an external 1 TB USB 3.0 2.5” disk.

This problem appears to be specific to this project as I am able to edit a different Premiere Pro project that is stored on the same external drive that also uses a similar amount of GoPro footage and I have no RAM problems with that project.

The only thing that I can think of that may have led to something in the project becoming corrupted is that I filled up my internal hard drive to the point that I had less than 1 GB of disk space left.  I then deleted ~90GB of stuff from my internal hard drive.  The problem started occurring around the same time.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot this:

-Switched from Open CL to Software Only

-Deleted Cache Files

-Started a new project and imported a sequence

-Switched RAM preference from Optimized for Performance to Optimized for Memory

-Deleting Lumetri Color Filters from sequence

System:

OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Premiere 2017.1.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

That's an odd situation ... although there are a couple things I'd suggest changing, I don't think they'll necessarily fix this project. I'm puzzling out that bit about deleting a bunch of files on the internal ... where are the PrPro preview files, cache, and media cache database located on your machine? I'm wondering if that deletion could be related ... or could be irrelevant.

First ... using mp3 audio can introduce problems, as that's not a format that PrPro does well with. Often, the wav for

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I call only add this is strange, but very concerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an odd situation ... although there are a couple things I'd suggest changing, I don't think they'll necessarily fix this project. I'm puzzling out that bit about deleting a bunch of files on the internal ... where are the PrPro preview files, cache, and media cache database located on your machine? I'm wondering if that deletion could be related ... or could be irrelevant.

First ... using mp3 audio can introduce problems, as that's not a format that PrPro does well with. Often, the wav format is recommended, including converting all mp3 to wav files before ingesting into PrPro.

Second ... USB3.0 externals are not all created equal, though this one is working ok for that other project ... which external is this?

Third ... and this is just an in-general working comment, the GoPro files are a right bugger for editing. Even GoPro officially considers this the case ... in the manual for their GoPro Studio software (sadly discontinued), they specifically state that the camera capture format is designed for fast writing of data to card, however the format is very difficult to edit with, and they strongly suggest transcoding to a high-quality mezzanine codec prior to editing. Which is really sensible with all long-GOP media featuring high compression, and GoPro, most drones, and many mirrorless/DSLR cameras fit in the same niche.

Here's that blurb from GoPro, their GoPro Studio manual ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil!   I will try these steps.  Its good to know that I shouldn't edit natively with GoPro files.  It may take a few days to get back to you though due to having to transcode and making sure I have enough disk space free.

The only thing I can answer now is that I use a Touro S hard disk (7200 rpm).  I use these types of hard disks for most of the projects that require me to work with external hard drives (this includes GoPro, FS7, A7S, DSLR, and other camera files as well as using on Mac and Windows) and have never run into any issues that I think the hard disk is to blame for.  Though I do know that 3.5" disks are generally preferred over 2.5" disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, my Video Previews, Audio Previews, and Project Auto Save files are set to the "default" Documents folder, my Media Cache Files are in Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. This is a puzzler...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Sorry for delayed response...your advice solved the problem then I neglected replying for 3 months haha.

I converted everything to Cineform and then opened a new project and imported the old timeline using an XML.  So its slightly possible that there was a bug in the old project and the XML helped negate that, but I believe transcoding the footage to GoPro Cineform (along with audio files to .wav) is what solved my problem.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem with Premiere V14.9 and RED footage

I'm just editing footage, not even adding fx or color correction, after a while the whole project hangs and I get a system popup that my Mac ran out of memory and that premiere is using 170GB of ram (my system only has 72 GB of ram)

Reinstalled Creative Cloud and ran CC Cleaner tool but still experiencing the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's entirely possible, though it sounds impossible. This is because Activity Monitor doesn't show RAM. The column is headed "memory". Mac uses "Virtual memory" which puts as much as possible in actual RAM, but swaps information from RAM out to disk. So it's entirely normal for an app to use more memory than you have got RAM. 

Of course, this is hundreds of times slower than actual RAM. Eventually it slows to a halt, or the system refuses to give any more virtual memory. ("Out of memory" limits mean VIRTUAL memory ran out). This is why Premiere Pro has a memory limit - to keep it running fast, in actual RAM. This sounds as if Acrobat isn't sticking to its limit. But other alternatives include a rogue plug-in using lots of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for the quick reply !

I haven't got a clue what's causing it though as it's a fairly basic timeline with red footage, I don't even have to be working in the project.. if I just leave it for 30 min and come back it happened that my whole rame has filled up with premiere using 173 GB while I only have 72GB of total ram (see screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines