Premiere Pro 2019 randomly using all system RAM and crashing?_05 (WIN)

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having a problem with my 64GB system ram filling up within 30 seconds of opening a project in PP CC. I had to make a new project and meticulously import clips one by one until I found the culprit, and it was actually two phone pictures taken in portrait mode on my Pixel 2 XL.

Tested a few times and I'm 100% sure it's something with these two files - if I import either one (just jpg around 5MB each) the memory immediately starts filling up and the program becomes really laggy and unresponsive. Normal phone pictures are fine, it's just the portrait mode shots (with faked bokeh - so maybe because of the depth data embedded in the file).

Fixing it was pretty easy, just open the project, quickly find those two files and clear them from the project bin, then SAVE, then close/kill premiere, then re-open.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro 2019 randomly using all system RAM and crashing?_05 (WIN)

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having a problem with my 64GB system ram filling up within 30 seconds of opening a project in PP CC. I had to make a new project and meticulously import clips one by one until I found the culprit, and it was actually two phone pictures taken in portrait mode on my Pixel 2 XL.

Tested a few times and I'm 100% sure it's something with these two files - if I import either one (just jpg around 5MB each) the memory immediately starts filling up and the program becomes really laggy and unresponsive. Normal phone pictures are fine, it's just the portrait mode shots (with faked bokeh - so maybe because of the depth data embedded in the file).

Fixing it was pretty easy, just open the project, quickly find those two files and clear them from the project bin, then SAVE, then close/kill premiere, then re-open.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 10, 2019 2
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to send me those files? I’d be happy to try to reproduce the issue on my end.

If this is something you’d be interested in, please send me a PM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had exactly the same problem on a 2013 MacPro quad with 64GB. Every time I open a project I've been working on for over a year, RAM usage jumps to 55-60GB and the system grinds to a halt. I was able to grab some critical sequences and move them to a new project which runs just fine. Blew a day and a half of work though. 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing similar RAM overload and crashing, seemingly only since updating to 13.0.2

When I have one project open in particular (a large feature doc with hundreds of hours of footage, linked proxies, multicams, etc.) upon opening the Memory usage by Premiere slowly balloons to extremely high levels. In Activity Monitor (I'm on an iMac Pro with 64GB of RAM) I can see 'Compressed Memory' slowly building to the point of 140 or 150 GB, and 'Real Memory' also slowly increasing. Then at some point I get an error "your system has run out of application memory" and have to force quit.

This happens without any user activity in Premiere, even if I just open the project and let it sit there. I have tried a huge range of things to diagnose this, including clean installs of Premiere, trashing preferences, booting into a clean admin account, using other machines, creating a fresh project and and importing the old content, etc.

Yesterday I reverted to 13.0.1 and was able to get through the day. However I have now realized that the old bug "Clips imported from XML, AAF, prproj, or any other project are not referenced correctly" (fixed in 13.0.2) makes that version unusable for what I'm doing now. Seems I'm left with a choice to either have a functioning program OR have functioning clip references. Ha! This is incredibly frustrating and has cost me several days of work already.

Has anyone experiencing similar issues on 13.0.2 figured out a solution? Happy to provide more info if it helps.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOSH!!! Thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robbo, "Fixing it was pretty easy, just open the project, quickly find those two files and clear them from the project bin, then SAVE, then close/kill premiere, then re-open."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Does anyone know if there is a way to still use these portrait photos in your project? I'd like to use my portrait mode photos, wish I would have known before taking so many 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the track, right click highlighted track, selct "Remove Effects".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0