• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 (14) slow, jerky playback with Metal renderer on MacBook Pro

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that the default GPU Acceleration renderer in the 2020 (14) update is now Metal.  However, on my 2019 MacBook Pro with a Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB, the playback is slow and jerky.  I changed the renderer setting back to OpenCL and it plays smooth.  It seems strange that this setting has been marked as Deprecated.  

15 inch MacBook Pro

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

MacOS Catalina

32GB Memory

Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

What am I missing?  I have a fairly new MacBook with the top of the line GPU?

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the answer for you but I've had the same issue with the last 2 Premiere releases. I have a 2012 Mac Pro with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 running Mojave. This card is on Apples list as still being supported but Metal doesn't work well at all with it. OpenCL is much better. I created a similar post to yours a while back but just got the "your system is old" response even though I didn't have the issue on CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I was forced back to CC2019. Adobe hasn't fixed the Metal support in CC2020. Even more sadly they just wont admit it. There's nothing wrong with being honest with its users. Just say Mac users, were still working on Metal support and we recommend staying on 2019 until we work it out. I would totally respect that. But I guess that's not good marketing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responding to original poster, tflink

Hello, I updated to Catalina about 3 weeks ago and noticed that the first Premiere (CC2020 14.0.4) project I did the jerkiness began. I've since had to muddle thru 2 more. Prior to Catalina all worked pretty well. I thought this newly occuring slow, jerkiness was maybe due to a latency between my 2015 MacBook Pro, (3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB) and my USB3.0 external drive. So the last project I edited directly on the hard drive and nothing changed. So, I went in and changed the renderer from Metal to Open GL as you did (although marked depracated) with NO change in performance. Did you do any additional "fixes" other than just changing to Open GL? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, I can barely get through a session with minimal photo and video and I'm freaking out. I spent over $4k on this machine.

I'm running:

MACBOOK PRO (15, 2019)

2.4 GHZ 8-CORE INTEL i9

32 GB 2400 MHZ DDR4

RADEON PRO VEGA 4GB

INTEL UHD 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm so frustrated. I have top spec late 2018 15" MBP (i9, 32 Gt, Vega 20, latest Catalina), but playing back timeline in Premiere 2020 with Metal is like trying to edit with IBM 386 SX PC from golden 1990's. I'm really frustrated. Everything was buttery smooth with Pr 2019 & Open CL... Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I am trying to do is edit two still images changing scale and to view my changes takes over 5 minutes of rendering just to see the slight change in opacity.  I movie can do this real time no problem.  I have a 2018 iMac 16g of ram and a dual Samsung ssds running raid 0 for my cache files.  Wtf is going on here I pay good money to use these services that are basically unuasable.  
I am actively Looking for alternate software to edit videos Adobe CC is causing too many problems and making me look wholey unprofessional to my clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your images are too high res, (like 300dpi) premiere will take forever. Downsize them to whatever size you need at 72 dpi and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! On early 2015 Macbook pro Mojave 8GB memory, Prem 2019 ran so smoothly. Now on 2020 Macbook Pro 16GB memory, i cannot get through more than 2 minutes of editing basic footage on Pr 2020, without a broken playback. It literally becomes unusable ... are there any updates???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on my personal laptop, and on 2 BRAND NEW Mac Pros at the TV station I work at.

PLEASE GET THIS FIXED!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... Same issue on 16inch MacBook Pro with Premiere 2020 (newest update).

Played back fine on a 6 years old iMac, now it's barely usable.

Are there any downsides to using OpelCL (deprecated) ??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is to switch to Final Cut Pro, see if adobe finally fixes their support on Mac, and if not, switch permanently.
It was so refreshing to see a fast editing timeline!  And frankly, I am starting to see that FCP is slightly more user friendly.
Might have to down cut my Adobe Subscription to just Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, 

On a simple graphic footage,a picture, some text. When I want to change the text, The cursor becomes

very slow, very anouying. also when exporting the video. I changed in porject ^references the renderer to Mercury and much better.

I'm Running Premiere Pro 15.0.0 build 41

My systeme: Mac Pro late 2013, 3,5GHZ, 16GB RAM, 2 x AMD FirePro D700 6GB.

There was a time that let's say 2-3 years ago that Adobe not was optimized for Mac and this AMD GPU a real pain. Then it seems to turn better, with new releases. But now Again the same thing.

My Mac PRO was about 5000 euro

Adobe pls do someting. You force people to go to Da Vinci or FCP 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes i'm also experiencing this - slow render and slow export. I have cleared the cache and reset prefs. I have a full spec 2019 16" MBP. I also experienced this when using previous versions if i switched the GPU acceleration to METAL, with OpenCL my render speeds and realtime playback capabilities were much better. However with 2022 there is nort option to select OpenCL.... I believe this is the problem with this spec of mac but wish there was a solution as my days are now a lot longer due to slow render times and bad realtime playback performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines