Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020: Can't create text

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I 'm editing a video clip my playback handle is over the section where I want to add text.

I go to the Graphics option on the top of the screen. I go to Essential Graphics, I click on T to create a text layer.  I click on the video and whatever I press doens't work.  I try to create a text box, and if I press H, PP activates the Hand tool.

When I Press T, I don't get any text options.

I went to the Edit section of the Essential Graphics and I can't even add a Text layer there.

I have gone to YouTube to watch a bunch of video to add text.  And I'm doing it right, per the video, but PP is not being cooperative.

Help.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the Text tool (shortcut T) in the tool bar, then either click in the program monitor and start typing your text, or click-drag to create a text box.

In the first way, the text you type will be a line until you press Enter key to 'break' to a second line.

In the second way, the text will automatically wrap to stay in the box you created. After you create the text box by click/drag, you then need to click in the box to select the inside of the box, then you start typing your text.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil -

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that process before I made the post here. 

When I click on the shortcut or pressed T, and then clicked on the program monitor, PP did nothing.

It didn't create a new layer, it didn't let me type anything. Whether I typed something or created a text box, nothing happened.

I watched a bunch of videos to make sure I was doing it correctly, and PP still didn't want to do it.

Perhaps there's another bug within PP that no one else has documented yet.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you create a new project from scratch and only try to create a text layer? Just to see if the project is buggy or premiere itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sami -

Good idea... I will try that.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sami  -

I created a new project. I created a simple timeline with a color matte, and I tried to apply text to it.

Nothing happened.  The text tool would not work.

I clicked on the Text shortcut, and when I tried to enter any text, PP wouldn't do anything.

I usually press H to start my text tests, and every test so far has triggered the Hand tool.

I tried just entering text, and also creating a text box... and everything fails.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you attach this new project? I'll try adding a text layer for you, maybe we can figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sami -

I opened the file again, created one layer with the matte color... and tried to add text.

Again.. nothing.  I press T or click on the shortcut, and then press H, I get the Hand tool activated.

Here's a link to the file.

https://cloud.degoo.com/share/SpTQGjbDw7TXtm

let me know if you have any problems with it.

I'm doing this work on a PC / Win10 64 bit / PP 2020 / 64GB RAM / More than enough storage.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

Apologies for the frustration. Try this. Choose the Graphics Workspace. Then choose Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout. See if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin -

I followed your instructions, and still nothing happens.

As I mentioned to Neil...

I go to the Graphics, then I press T for the text shortcut, I click on the program monitor window to start typing, and the text doesn't appear, and if I hit a letter assigned to another command, that command gets triggered.

Also, the layers are not locked, but is there another way to prevent text from being added?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin -

If I click on Graphics --> New Layer --> Text

Should it create a text layer for me?  If it should, it's not.

It does nothing for me.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should get a new graphics clip added to your timline at the playhead position.

At this point, please take a screen grab, drag/drop it into your text reply area so we can see what you're seeing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a link before and it looks like my comments were removed:

Here's a video showing what I am doing and what is happening with my Premiere Pro.

https://cloud.degoo.com/share/qbDrOe768rs9e7

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a text layer with no issues whatsoever. I've uploaded the project here, check if you can at least edit the text layer i've added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sami -

What did it take to create the text layer?

Was it automatically created when you start typing, or did you have to do something else?

I moved my play handle past your text layer to create another layer, and I couldn't do it.

Is there some other step that you are doing?

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, nothing special. Just clicked the text tool and started typing on the program monitor.

It seems you have some weird bug on your system.

Anyway, if you can edit the text layer i sent you, just copy paste it and work from it, for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you click on the T for text tool, you must at least click in the Program monitor before you begin typing. Again, you click once to simply set a point to start a line of text, or click/drag to create a text box for the text to "live" within.

If you click the T tool short, then the H, yes you will go immediately to the hand tool. In fact, I have no idea why you would go to the hand tool when you want to type text on the screen.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil -

I am clicking in the Program Monitor before I am typing.

I am trying to create text within the program monitor. When I press on the Text shortcut, click within the Program Monitor, and start typing... I wanted to start typing "How the system works"

So when I press H for How, the system fails to respond, and the Hand tool gets triggered.

So I press, T, click on the Program Monitor to start typing in Text, I press H, and the hand tool gets activated before PP is not accepting my text entry.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all:

For some reason Adobe is not letting me reply to this conversation.

I keep adding in a video link that shows my current set up, and what happens when I try to add text.

I have added in several times now, but for whatever reason, Adobe is removing my posts.

I'm not sure why, there's nothing in the video except my work environment. There's nothing offensive in it.

But Adobe keeps removing my posts..

What gives??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be watching this post for a while and see what happens:

Here's the link to a video showing what I'm doing, and what Premiere Pro is NOT doing when I try and create a text layer.

Video of my Premiere Pro test file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just watched your vid, though it took like six attempts to play it before it would go past 6 seconds.

That is bizarre, I've never had anything like that happen.

For anyone else poking into this thread, his video shows him creating two graphics clips on a sequence in the 'normal' way, hitting the T too, and both drag/drop to create a text box and simply drag/enter text to create a line of text. Successfully.

But when he goes down the sequence just past those clips, and hits the T for text tool, with no clips selected in the timline, Premiere immediately cuts to the Hand tool! So he can't enter text. Nor draw a text box even.

Question of Doug ... you didn't show going into the Essential Graphics panel, Edit tab, and selecting New Item/Text ... does that work or is that also not working for you?

And @TrentHappel and @DaciaSaenz  ... help please!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil -

I know what you mean about taking several attempts to get it to play properly... When I play the video locally, it's fine, when I use a free service there's issues.. but if it ultimately works, and it's free, who am I to complain too much?? 😉

Neil - When I try adding a New Item/Text - same thing. Nothing happens. It doesn't let me add anything, nor does it add a text layer.

It does nothing.  For me to get some kind of workaround, I have to drop in a title layer just so I have something to work with. But that takes away from having the ability to simply create a text layer.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is just bizarre!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil -

Welcome to my world!!  I consider myself a rather intelligent person, I can figure most things out.

I went to YouTube to watch a bunch of videos to make sure what I was doing was correct, and then trying out the process, watching more videos, and trying it again... it's frustrating when a simple feature doesn't work.

So that's why I'm here trying to figure out what's going on.

And let me say to everyone... Thank you for your help.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil -

Have you heard anything from @TrentHappel and @DaciaSaenz ??

I'm curious about this problem and why it's happening. 

Maybe @Kevin-Monahan could help.

Kevin - there is a video which is listed above from Nov. 17th,  that shows what is happening on my system, and how I can't create text.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines