Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020: Can't create text

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I 'm editing a video clip my playback handle is over the section where I want to add text.

I go to the Graphics option on the top of the screen. I go to Essential Graphics, I click on T to create a text layer.  I click on the video and whatever I press doens't work.  I try to create a text box, and if I press H, PP activates the Hand tool.

When I Press T, I don't get any text options.

I went to the Edit section of the Essential Graphics and I can't even add a Text layer there.

I have gone to YouTube to watch a bunch of video to add text.  And I'm doing it right, per the video, but PP is not being cooperative.

Help.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't. I know they had an Adobe-wide day or two off last week. Maybe now we'll get something.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There was a lot of reading here, so I only skimmed through it. I was having an issue where I had just done some editing on the time, and tried typing text and it would create the text/graphics layer but wouldnt let me type anything. I fumbled across this post for answers. I kept fumbling around in premiere and then found my answer. I had a Color Matte as a background layer, and with it present, it would let me type any text. So I removed it and that somehow did the trick, not sure if it would work in this scenario tho, hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug_E_Fresh @R Neil Haugen Whoa! That is really weird. 

I cannot reproduce this on my end on either Windows or Mac, though. 
Doug, would you be willing to share the project that you demo the bug with in the video? Maybe there is a setting somewhere that is causing havoc.

Thanks! 

Dacia

- Dacia Saenz, AE Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DaciaSaenz  -

Any project I use.. whether it's new or not has this problem.

If you check in the early parts of this message you will see links to other project files.

There should be one of mine that is a brand new project, which doesn't work for me,

The link above should give you access to the project in question.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug_E_Fresh 

Your test project doesn't have any text layers in it at all 😞 

I was hoping to get access to the project you use in the video, where you have successfully created a graphic track item and a few layers, and then can't make a text layer when you move the CTI. 

Getting a project in this state would be most helpful. 

Thanks,

Dacia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DaciaSaenz  -

The test project was provide by @Sami Succar.

Here's the link to that file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1HMX4EBDYr1iqXX2RkrNi5bbr9D3rRU/view?usp=sharing

So what happened to get you up to speed, I presented a file, Sami was able to make changes to it, and add a text layer, and then I made a movie about trying to use Sami's project, and even though it worked on his machine, the project he sent me wouldn't let me create a new text layer even though it's the same file.

Could there be a problem with Core-count on my PC?  I know I'm stretching things, but some program have problems with 18-core / 36 threads.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Doug_E_Fresh,

Unfortunately, not a single soul can reproduce this issue on our end. 😞

I don't think it's related to the core / thread count, though. 

So now for a few more questions to see what we might be missing.

• Does this issue only occur in 14.6?
  • Are you able to get into this state in 14.5 or any earlier version? 
  • Dumb question but ... Does a re-start help? 
  • Are there any panels launching in the background or on a different monitor that might be stealing focus from the text tool? (I'm stretching too 😬)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DaciaSaenz -

Thanks for offering more ideas.

1) I don't know if it only happens in 14.6.  I don't use PP all the time, but I do update it when I am told to by CC.

2) I will reinstall PP and see if I can use an earlier version and see if I can figure out where the change took place.

3) I've done multiple restarts, and did it as thr first task of the day on my computer, and still had the same issue.

4) I've checked and I don't see any other panels popping up - whether on a different monitor, or behind the program. (Nothing wrong with stretching, I always appreciate any attempt).

I will change versions and let you know what happens.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug,

Are you running dual monitors? Wondering...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this to us, Doug_E_Fresh.

Myself and some others on the Graphics/MOGRTS team have been trying hard to repro this on a lot of different systems. I did get the test project you posted and tried it with that too. So far, none of us can repro the same problem you and others have described here, but we want very much to isolate the problem and get it fixed for you all. Is there anything else you (or anyone else on here) can tell me about how to repro this? If you have more than one system available, does it happen anywhere else for you? Does it happen in any other projects for you besides that test.prproj you sent us?

Also, which version of Pr are you currently using? https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-find-the-exact-version-of-premiere-pro-you-re...

Also, on the system where you are seeing the can't-create-text bug, do you have a second monitor set up there?

In the meantime, here are some strange behaviors I noticed with your test project:
(1) In the layer "Text Layer Test" The caret is out of sync with where new characters are actually added. So if you insert the caret between the x and the t in "Text" then add some characters, they will be added between the e and the x instead. There are also other problems with it, like:
-- 3x click in the text layer witht the type tool and only the last chracter is highlighted.
-- You can't insert the caret before the first T.
We are pretty sure this is happening because that text layer was being used woith the Right to Left paragraph direction on at some point. Is that the case as far as you can recall? This problem is probably not related to the can't-create-text problem but it's somethign you'd probably like to be free of. To work around it, highlight all the text in your layer, make a new blank layer, and paste in your text. To avoid it in the future, try not to mix LtR text with RtL paragraph direction. The paragraph direction pref is in Preferences > Graphics and can be turned on/off when the South Asian and Middle Eastern text engine pref is turned on.

(2) If you have a Text + Graphic selected, and if you move the playhead off of the Graphic and then click and drag with the type tool, you will not see the red box draw in while you drag. The red box will be there once you release the click + drag, you just won't see it while you are drawing it. This only happens when a layer is selected in a Graphic that is out of view, and it's not the same as what you reported, but it could look like a faliure to make a new text layer at first.

I hope that was not too much info to ingest at once. We're just really interested in finding an internal repro of this bug so that we can FIX IT already. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jstrawn  -

Thank you for reaching out.

This is a very unique situation and I wish I could provide more infomation.

So let me add in more details.

I will admit it's got to be something on my system, what it is, I don't know.

I just went through uninstalling PP 14.6 and rolled back to 14.0.

I tested it with that version.   Same issue.

I rolled back to 13.15.1 (I think that was the other versiom number) and same thing happened. The text layer would not cooperate.

I opened up the test project, I went the text layer, and I was able to enter in text without any issues.

I moved the playhead to a blank area, and clicked on T to initiate the Type tool, click on the playback area, to start typing, and if I try to type "Hello World", The H is pressed and triggers the Hand tool.

One thing I did notice with the earlier versions (14.0 and before), after exiting the project, they would stay in the Task manager and not close.

I moved the PP window to both monitors to test location and to look for any other windows taking the focus.

No other window is there.

1) The text layer was provided for me from another community member who may be in another part of the world.

I am located in California, USA.

2) When I am editing the project, No matter what I do, or what layer is active, when I click on T, and then try to type anything, nothing happens.

If you want to know the different drivers I have running or you want to know more, please let me know, and I will help you.

If you want to have a Zoom call, and I could show you what happens, I would be happy to do that..

I have figured a work around, I have to use one of the Essential Graphics title bars to give me a text layer of some sort, and then make adjustments to it.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution to this? My PP projects all have this issue as well and it is quite frustrating. 

I also notice that if I import a picture/image into my project, i am unable to view it in the source monitor or drag into the timeline. My only fix for this is to reopen PP and suddenly the images are able to be used properly within the program.

Very strange and I dont know how it has happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron -

Ok, it sounds like you and I have the same issues across the board.

Here's what I learned and my workarounds:

1) Even though we're supposed to be able to add text to a new layer automatically from all the videos and tutorials what I've seen, it's not the case.

The workaround for this is to go to the Effects Panel and drag and drop a title graphic/text area onto the sequence.

From that you can modify the text however you need.  There are some basic title sequences which makes it easy to modify for your needs.

2) I have the same issue when it comes to importing graphics or creating color mattes. Anything other than movie files, the import process just sucks.

What you need to do when you import your assets, is just bring them into PP, which will probably show up as a black images, and then save your file, close your project, go out to the main menu, and reopen the project.  When you do that, everything will get displayed correctly.

3) There may be a setting for image time lengths, I don't know off hand, but one thing I noticed when dropping images onto a sequence, their time duration is 12 hours. Right click onto the image, and look for Speed / Duration.

Change the duration down to 5 seconds or the time you need.  This will only change the duration down to 7 minutes.

Why? I don't know. Do the change again, and the next time will take you down to 5 seconds or the duration you are looking for.

I've dealt with that issue for years... why it's still happening, and it takes two changes to get it right, I don't have a clue.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Take care and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to finally repro the issue in 15.2 but it's so inconsistent, I can't get enough info together to help the devs reproduce the issue in their debugging environment :(. 

An easier workaround that I found though was to create a shape to create the PR graphic track item in the timeline. After that, I can use the Type tool to create a Text layer with no issue. 

Y'all... I am trying to hunt this one down and get it resolved. I'll update the channel if we can finally nab it. 

Thanks so much for sharing your intel, @Doug_E_Fresh 

Dacia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had any more progress on this?

Everything Doug said are the workarounds ive been using. My most recent frustration is that the text error is hindering my ability to use the new captions feature. I can generate the auto-captions but as soon as the actual captions are applied to my project, my project either freezes and crashes, or it holds out long enough that i can undo the captions being brought into the timeline and it somewhat resumes as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AaronButler95

Unfortunately, this hasn't been an eas bug to reproduce. But a crash can give us a lot more information, and obviously is way worse. Would you be able to share your project, version number of PR, and what platform you're on? 

Are you able to make a shape layer and THEN use the text tool to make a text layer using the Type tool in the Tool bar (i.e. using Essential Graphics) at all?

Are you seeing the crash when you try to make a regular text layer or is this crash happening only when you try to make a caption? 

Screen recordings can reveal a ton of info as well if that's possible. 

Thanks so much,

Dacia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prem V 15.4.1 (Build 6) 

Working on a Macbook Pro 15-Inch, 2016

Big Sur 11.5.1

(I will note that I recently worked from a brand new 2020 Macbook Pro and copied program files across etc to that new laptop for a while and had NO issues like i'm having with my Macbook currently.)

Attached a video to show that creating a shape layer or trying to use the text tool does not work. Also attached the project file too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other updates on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

the type tool has always worked fine for me - until today it suddenly didn't and I was experiencing the same problem you've described. It took me a while to figure out that my program window's display mode was set to "multi-camera" and apparently type tool doesn't work with that. So once I set it back to "composite video" I was able to create text layers again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a solution found? I only today downloaded PP to my personal laptop and am running into this issue. I have used it on work computers with no issue, but the very first project I have tried to work on on my personal laptop, I am having this text issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines