• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 Choppy / Stuttering Playback in Program Monitor ONLY

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, i'm using a Mac Mini (2018) running Mojave.... 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Memory and a Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB which is running through a Razor Core X.

I've never had any issues editing or playing back footage using Premiere Pro 2019. Occasionally if playing back 6K footage i've had to knock the plaback quality down to 1/2, however this computer runs like a breeze.

I've upgraded to PP2020 and since updating I'm experiencing choppy playback when playing back the timeline. No effects. No changes to footage. Doesn't mattter if I playback at 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2....it stutters.

If I simply preview the clip from the project in the source monitor (not off the timeline) it plays back perfectly at FULL QUALITY. Once I drag that clip into the timeline and playback the program monitor i've got issues. It's simply unwatchable and impossible to edit with.

This is only 1920 x 1080 Pro Res 422 footage, nothing crazy. The project worked perfectly in Premiere Pro 2019 and still does without any stuttering.

I have attempted to simply update the project in 2020, as well as importing the legacy project and then finally starting a whole new project and importing the footage again to see if it was a migration issue.

Nothing is working.

I'll be using PP2019 until this gets sorted, however I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar issues? I've attached a download link to a screen capture of how the issue looks here >>> https://we.tl/t-4uFeLm1gl9Playback Issue - Screen Capture 

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Maybe not the fix for everyone, but after hours and hours of trying just about everything except for a clean OS install something FINALLY worked.

I changed the Audio Input to No Input.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

--UPDATE-- FIX

Ok so it's taken the better part of a year, endless hopeless conversations begging Adobe to help us only to be hit with the same "you don't have enough RAM" comments..... I seem to have found the fix for my problem which was quite a specific issue.

I believe it had more to do with the settings of my LG 34" 5k2k monitor. 

So....my normal setting (using EasyRes) was 3840 x 1620 (Retina 2x) which gave the screen a super crisp look with plenty of room in Premiere. Whenever on th

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 168 Replies 168
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same monitor- no issues with 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing EasyRes fixed the issue for me! Have been pulling my hair out trying everything.

Saw the 14.4 release and crossed my fingers but no dice - came here to see if any progress and saw your post. 

Thank you so much. Have been unplugging my EGPU to edit - that sort of defeats the point...

2020 16" Macbook Pro with EGPU Razer Core X 5700 XT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't fix it for me unfortunately. There are obviously big issues with Premiere 2020. I'm on a brand new spec'd out Mac Pro with thunderbolt SAN storage and I can't even get decent playback of ProRes footage.

It also hangs when I try to play things sometimes with the CPU's going to 100% for no reason. Then after hanging for 20 secs or so the CPU's settle and the timeline plays.

There are obviously some major issues with Premiere Pro and it makes it very hard to use it professionally anymore. Resolve and Avid both edit the footage without issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually after some more testing I think this has fixed the issue for me. That Retina (2x) is definitely causing some issues with Premiere and I don't know how you worked that out @NATHAN - SHOTCUT, I would never have been able to solve that. I totally understand your frustration though, especially when you've got Adobe themselves not able to find a solution. Adobe need to simply stop rolling out new features in Premiere and focus on the stability of the software before going any further because it's almost unusable to use professionally. I wish the engineers had to sit with paying clients in front of them like we do and explain why Premiere always crashes or freezes or can't even playback ProRes footage without dropping frames. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution that doesnt involve me having to reduce my display resultion. This is far from ideal, but a good fix until when and if Adobe ever fixes this Retina/hiDPI playback issue.

On MacOS go to the applications folder and locate the Premiere Pro app. Right click or Control click and then click 'get info'. Check the box for "Open in Low Resolution". Relaunch Premiere Pro.

For me, this seems to have resolved the playback stuttering on my LG Ultrafine 5k, which is a x2 scalled version of 2560x1440. This opens Pr at that resolution, but not scaled. If I drag the app over to my Apple LED Cinema Display which is natively that resolution, the bluriness goes away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

I have a brand new MacbookPro and the last updates of premiere only have problems...

On a sequence, as soon as I had a LUT to the Lumetri on playback it gets really laggy.

I think I already tried everything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with LUT problems is when LUT is small (32 size, or less then 1 Mb on disk) then playblack is very good. But when I apply big LUT (64 size, or about 4-8 Mb on disk) then it's very laggy. Could you repeate this test on your system? May be you have problems only with big LUTs too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sooooo glad you finally solved it, Nate. Good going!!

This reminds me of a personal experience. Setting up my first NLE, which was an analog/digital hybrid. Very painful. The hardware pieces were numerous, complicated, and not very cooperative. It took 6 months to get it all ironed out. Yes, it was hardware related.

I appreciate you adding your solution and helping the community with your feedback and reports. 

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I have used SwitchResX to let me set non-high DPI settings for my iMac Pro 5k and have not had issues. I figure it this way, the High DPI is basically re-rendering your display again, so using twice the processing and ram as the display at regular DPI. Yes High DPI might look better, but for I would rather save the processing power for my timeline and not use up more of my GPU.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10, core i7, 16GB ram, Samsung 4K monitor and now have the jerky video.  Installing previous versions that used to work smoothly now are also jerky.  Adobe has made a change somewhere, please, please correct this issue or post where on my computer I can make the change.  Why did Adobe "fix" something that wasn't broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerky video Fixed!  

My solution was to use the adobe AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.exe uninstaller.  It is DOS Command screen application.  I uninstalled everything that had to do with video including media encoder and of course Premiere itself.  The app starts with language, e for english, then Y for yes to proceed, then option 4 for CC applications.  To be safe I reinstalled an older version.  Now it is smooth video again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an issue where the playhead would skip back several frames every couple of seconds. I changed my audio device latency from 30 to 500 and it works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe V14.0 here. Windows 10. GEFORCE RTX 2060. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz. 32GB RAM. Two machines are fine. One wasn't. Preferences/Audio Hardware Audio Input was set to Blackmagic Design, possibly since we have two video capture cards. The recommendation to change to NO INPUT alone fixed this. This machine never had issues up until the last two weeks. Clean install of PP didn't help. Upgrading to latest Nvidia driver didn't help. Thank you for the suggestion!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was the same - but fixed once I read the early posts here. The computer also has audio software (Cubase) and the Tascam interface in Premiere was using the windows drivers, not the ASIO ones - switching to them stopped the odd semi-fast motion and jittery audio, and everything works normally - no idea when this change happened, but glad I discovered the picture smoothness depended on a SOUND setting mismatch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just add what I did to fix this. I was losing about 300 frames in 10 secs while previewing my video. I'd changed my computer to a very respectable 128GB RAM, 3.7GHz i9 processor and an RTX 3070 graphics card. So was puzzled that it was performing more poorly than my laptop with 32GB RAM!

I'd tried all the fixes and was starting to swear quite a lot that this new hi spec machine was crap. All my files had always sat on an external SSD drive, so that I could work between machines.

The issue and fix was that I hadn't plugged the SSD drive into the high speed (blue) USB port and it just couldn't keep up. It's now in the correct port and playback is now fine, even with motion graphics, large .mov files, transitions and text stacked on top of each other in the timeline.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On PP version 2021 and Windows 10, I finally found that outputting my credit roll at 29.97 f/s in stead of 24 f/s fixed stuttery playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere CC2021 and was having terrible stuttering playback in program monitor. Source monitor played back flawlessly. I changed the audio input to none in preferences as recommended and it fixed the problem immediately. This is a major flaw in Premiere and to still be having this issue a year later is derelict on Adobes part. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is not the OP's issue, which has to do with the Source Monitor, not the Program Monitor. For your issue, try the new version (15.4) which automatically detects your audio device on Windows. That should help others having this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

This post has become a catch all post for all performance issues. For those finding this post via internet search, please know that it is better to troubleshoot a performance with your own post with plenty of info about your computer, hard drives, GPU, CPU, etc., as well as, your media. Therefore, I'm going to lock this post. Please create a new post.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines