• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 crashes on import

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to import a file in Premiere Pro 2020 or version 14.0 but whenever the file exceeds 10 or 15 minutes, it freezes and doesn't respond for a while. I tried waiting but it just stood there until I forcibly closed out the program. It never did this before and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone on this thread! So after months of not having a fix and not being able to edit in Premiere, I decided to give Adobe Support a call. From what support told me is mainly due to videos having a VFR (Variable Frame Rate) and apparently Premiere is not meant to edit those types of videos. A fix to the import crash of these videos can be fixed by simply coverting the video from havinga VFR to a CFR (Common Frame Rate). The support guy told me about this software called Handbrake. You can use Handbrake to transcode your videos from a VFR to a CFR. Not going to lie it is a hassle, but at least it allows me to edit my videos just fine in Premiere. Once you transcode the video/clip you are trying to edit from a VFR to a CFR using Handbrake. It should now be able to import to Premiere without crashing! Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why cant they just fix this, its such a huge waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not the same proplem.  I have no VFR footage. Just large 4k files. I can't open my project. The same footage worked

with the previous version. Help! As soon as I start linking the files my project freezes. 

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem here to be honest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, Another Adobe time waster. I wish I didn't upgrade but they keep pushingt us to do so.

My son had the same problem and had to link all the files seperately one at a time.

This is not going to be fun. I have 4 hours of footage, about 600 files.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So finally, after the last update, Premiere stopped freezing after uploading videos to the project! Better late than never.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sucks that mine just started freezing yesterday after not having problems before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to the latest version yesterday (14.3.1), and immediately started having this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something I've found interesting.  Having the same problem.  It almost seems like my drives have gone to sleep and when I try to import or save a project, I get the same issue you have.  I've found that if I open windows explorer and open the drive that I'm going to be saving to or importing from, and then go back to Premiere to complete my task, this problem doesn't happen anymore.  I'm interested to see if this works for anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 14.5.0, basically the same problem.
Was working perfectly fine until I updated to 14.5. Now it doesn't matter what drive I'm trying to upload a video from, how large the video is, or what format it's in, it crashes right after dragging one into the media browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I forgot to mention: I tried reinstalling premiere pro as well but no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

feel you, man! Same over here. I updated 14.4 and 14.5 and not working. Also if i reverse to 14.0 or beyond doesnt work. Moreover, it happened as i updated both Win10 and Premiere. Microsoft says it's Adobe, Adobe says it's Microsoft.

So what to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! I just tried reverting to 14.4 and no luck... So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if I use Media Browser for importing I have no issues. Give it a try :)!

I had the same continuing problem with importing huge files with righ-click --> Import or File->Import. It did not matter how much I changed settings in General. But with Media Browser all issues: gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines