Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 crashes on project launch

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using Premiere Pro 2019 13.0 (yes, 13.0) since the beginning of this year and have made around 100 projects with the same with multiple effects, scaling(4k to fhd), legacy titles and more. 

Since 14.0 was recently launched, upgraded to same and now my projects after converting to the new version are not working. The project opens just fine, but within 10 seconds crashes.

Adobe Help says older projects won't work? That sounds ridiculous. Hope there's a fix to this.

Simpler projects or New Projects are working just fine. It's the projects with titles, proxies, motion effects, etc are crashing. There's minimal change in task manager, no spiking of cpu or ram or gpu.

Tested in two computers with

1. i9 9900k + 2070 + 32gb Ram + nvme system drive + raid 0 ssd on 10gigabit network.

2. i9 7900x + 2070 + 64gb Ram + nvme system drive + raid 0 ssd on 10gigabit network.

Strange, but 13.1 works just fine tested that now. Wanted to use the newer Auto Reframe on my 1080x1080 projects on Adobe 2020 suite

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check the below links might be helpful.

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-startup-or-crashing-while...

And then I deleted all Media Cache files manualy. No Issue so far. hope it is ok.

Library > Application Support > Adobe > Common > Media Cache and Media Cache Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did try the same. didn't work for me...

The crash report suggests a error code 

<crash exception="EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" exceptionCode="0xc0000005" instruction="0x00007FFC8A6802DD">

Tried updating Nvidia Drivers and also Windows drivers, that did not help. Noticed one thing, simpler projects are working fine. 1080 x 1080 sequences with keyframed effect based projects are peaking the ram, and then crashing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that. I understand Adobe Premiere Pro is crashing for you at launch. I researched an found an article which provides a fix for the error code that you've mentioned. Check it out: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/multi/application-crash-launch.html

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I am experiencing this same problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to that, Shivangi, I had already tried updating Windows, reinstalled Premiere, and Windows also. Tried upgrading and downgrading to last two versions of GPU drivers, both Studio and Game Ready versions.

Searched a lot over the internet, and found that this was common to a few other users in new releases in the past also, and suggestion was to downgrade premiere. I cannot see GPU or GPU drivers causing any issues, specially because we were happily editing on 13.0 version with Cuda Acceleration.

One of the support team members suggested to get in touch with Nvidia about this, and Nvidia Support suggested to change 3D settings via the Nvidia Control Panel, specifically - Power Management to Prefer Maximum Performance.

Even that did not help. Last resort was to downgrade again to 13.0 as we cannot have such a long downtime in our time critical projects, highly disappointed with Adobe, specially after looking that I cannot downgrade to 13.0 again.

13.1.5 was the only option, and that was working, with a major issue of playhead flickering after 20 minutes of editing, which again is a common issue. While the forums did help fix it initially by enabling Preview Area in the Project Window. The issue came back again, I had no other option but to stick with that. 

Sad to say, we enjoyed using Premiere till the time it worked for us, and have begun to shift our work to Resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new project in 14 and imported my old 13 into it. So far its worked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good! Did the articles provided help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually importing did not fix the problem. It still remains!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of these article solutions and spent several hours on chat with Adobe support without solving the problem. Using Mac 15. 1 (Catalina). Reinstalled, used Creative Cloud Cleaner, deleted preferences, changed permissions, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution for my problem, a plugin conflict. I am using a mac, but here is what worked. Go to Library, then Application Support,  then Adobe, then Common, then Plug-ins, then 7.0, then MediaCore and drag those plugins to the desktop, then try to open up Premiere Pro, or AE or MediaEncoder. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you explain the solution for win 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's the MediaCore folder you are looking for, it's here on Windows:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too (THANK YOU) , but I need those plug-ins... what can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open new 2020 project and import or use dynamic link through media browser the corrupt project. It then all came back for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What came back? The crashing or a properly functioning program/project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the crashing issue. Worked with Adobe Tech Support. They took control of my computer for about an hour. I finally had to leave so we did not get anywhere. I think it has to do with NVIDIA and vs 14. 

I've moved plugin folders etc. The only thing that works is to launch a new project then import the crashing project. That will only work for that session though. If I close the newly made imported project when I reopen that project it crashes. Surely that leads to some clue as to what the problem is?

I'm on Win 10 by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issue except instead of even being able to open a project my Premiere closes almost immeditely after loading on startup. I've tried updating my NVIDIA drivers, restarting my computer, launching Premiere from a project file instead of the app itself yet nothing has worked. I haven't yet done a fresh installation of Premiere due to others saying that it hasn't fixed anything either. So strange that this is just now occuring after using it completely fine at the start of the week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you remove all plugins from the folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No plugins installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue. 4 hours with adobe on the phone, remote ins, NVIDIA graphics card driver updates, windows driver updates, called to NVIDIA, etc...

Adobe Premiere Pro CC is the problem, as much as Adobe doesn't want to admit it. 2019 still works fine, problem is I upgraded my projects to 2020 and need to make edits to them and can't.

This is awful customer service and poor quality product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys....

What i'll describe below will not fix v14 but bring v13.1.5 back (in my case after update i loose both, just in case anyone are in the same problem).

After 4 hours with support that told me the problem was in my Windows 10 user, and i should contact Microsoft, here is my collaboration. (Unbeliveble)

One of the probes that Adobe's support did was install Adobe Cloud in Administrator user (kind of nonsense cause my user has administratives privileges but....) As a matter of fact they installed v13 version not 14 and works.

Back to my regular user and after a deep unistall and reinstall, same problem happens for 13 and 14 versions. (In this moment support said that the problem is in Windows 10) As I know this kind of answer is the same of  "we don't know what we did and the problem is yours", i've decided to run my own tests.

This is the sequece. Run the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool. (Don't know where to get, support left that in my computer). Unistall anything related to the Adobe (Anything for real including Acrobat, nonsense, ok but should be a clean environment, as possible). This super tool will not remove acrobat so do it yourself.

Don't restart, but turn off, Windows 10 sometimes keeps some stuffs in memory to fast its returns.

Turn on

In my case as i have a new computer since November i used an old download version for cloud installer, and run it as administrator (again nosense).

Becarful in this point after the installation the Cloud app will start to syncronize and do any kind of operations, stop them all.

Look for Premiere and Install the old version. Look for the Media Enconder and do the same (old version). Just in case i'll do that with Photoshop too. This weekend it shows signs of trouble but a Nvidia driver update and a boot handle the case.

Until know is working for me at least i overpassed the point i was, triying to create a sequence.

Hope can help.

(For Adobe support operators MY WIN10 is fine... Blame someone else.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashing problem SOLVED... My ASUS GPU Tweak program was causing the problem... I stopped it from starting on windows startup and Premiere Pro 2020 didnt crash any more!  Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much agree with Russell's find. I really don't like to install the motherboard/manufactures software and drivers. I prefer the windows drivers wherever possible.

I did have a couple of early crashes with 2020, (14.0) but I quickly deleted all my media cache, media cache files and peak files. They are located here: %UserName%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common - I just delete the 3 folders.

You might need to delete the preview files also.

These files/folders above are all recreated by PP when you start the software and various projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines