Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 crashing and lagging

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

currently I have big problems with playback and general workflow with my new desktop. It's stuttering, freezing and sometimes crashing. Several minutes I can work perfectly and then the problems begin to grow. 

my specs:

• ryzen 3900x
  • rtx 2080 ti
  • D464GB 3200-14 Ripjaws V Black K4 GSK
  • 2 x SSD 1TB 3.0/3.4 FireCuda 510 M.2 SEA
  • 1 x Samsung Evo no M2

other infos:

• cameras: Panasonic GH5 + BMPCC 4k
  • 422/10bit/LongGOP
  • Blackmagic RAW
  • differnet framerates (23,976, 29,97, 59,97)
  • cuda in premiere is activated

Premiere Pro 2020 (latest update) is running on the system-ssd, all files and proxies are safed on a second M2 SSD. Cache files are safed on a third Samsung Evo SSD. CPU und GPU are not used good, only when it comes to rendering. The System exports fast without crashing, only wortking on it is a pain. My system is running at about 30-33°C. It never showed problems in any application at any time. I use a 34" 3440x1440 display for getting the work done. Proxies only help a bit but premiere is also freezing, lagging and crashing - it just takes a bit longer. 

Would you please help me? 

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Hey yall,

Not sure if you've resolved your issues, I was having the same. On a whim, I disabled my Nvidia Shadowplay (which had desktop capture setting on) and everything smoothed right out. Just something to try if it applies to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any applications running in the background?

How much RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 x 16 GB Ram, only Chrome running in background, Kaspersky Security, Logitech G Hub and Steam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/FAQ-How-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-Premiere-Pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. 9th gen i7 6 core, RTX2070, 16GB RAM, 2 SSDs (NVMe and SATA). Windows 10 1909 and GeForce 445.87 drivers.

Premiere and AME 2020 both freeze up and crash, and timeline playback is stuttery. Proxies never finish encoding. Same problem with CUDA and Software Only.

Switch back to Premiere and AME 2019 and everything works fine ON THE SAME MACHINE! With CUDA.

So it does NOT appear to be "CUDA driver incompatibility" - my inference is that some code updated from 2019 and common to Premiere and AME 2020 is faulty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested again. Set up OBS Studio to record an hour of 1080p60 H264 7Mbps video + 320kbps audio x 6 stereo channels in .ts (transport stream) format - approx 3GB in size.

Premiere Pro 2019 can put this video in the timeline and play it back with layered effects with no stuttering from both the lcoal NVMe SSD or the NAS share. It doesn't need any proxies. AME 2019 encodes the resulting sequence from PP2019 flawlessly and renders quickly. 

In contrast, Premiere Pro 2020 chokes on this file, regardless of where it is located. I can't even generate proxies using AME 2020 because it freezes and then crashes. If I queue a sequence from PP2020, AME 2020 starts rendering then gets stuck several times, and then freezes.

This is with both products installed side by side on the same machine using the same source files from the same drive locations.

This is 2020 when AI-based software testing rigs can run millions of regression tests to check for weaknesses in code like this. However, from the history of this thread it feels like Adobe is in denial. My family just asked me if we should switch to another NLE as they are all frustrated with the ridiculous situation where the 2020 product is broken and the 2019 product works perfectly fine, but all our recent projects were created in 2020 and hard to convert to 2019. It's really not good enough... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey yall,

Not sure if you've resolved your issues, I was having the same. On a whim, I disabled my Nvidia Shadowplay (which had desktop capture setting on) and everything smoothed right out. Just something to try if it applies to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines