• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 not Fully Utilizing CPU and GPU

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, so I just started using Premiere on this PC recently and the experience is not good to be completely honest. And to be brutally honest, it sucked.

So this is how it looks in task manager

Screenshot (33).png

That is me playing 3 layered video preview with full resolution and under 1 FPS shown it's basically a slide show. If I set the preview to 1/4 it will run normally.

I did not tamper with any setting because normally I leave everything on default. The export also experience similar problem where it will only make use of around 20-30% cpu and max 80% GPU.

It took 18 minutes to render 22 minutes video with 1080p resolution.

My current specs are :

Windows 10 with Latest Updates

Ryzen 5 2600x

Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

16GB 2666mhz RAM

128GB SATA SSD OS/Programs Storage

4TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD Video Storage

I did edit in older PC before with i5 4th gen and 750Ti and honestly it performed better with up to 100% usage. But for rendering this one is a little bit slower.

I've seen some people used premiere pro with the similar specs on youtube and they're running it perfectly smooth.

So how can I set the premiere pro to make use of everything my PC has to offer?
Should I downgrade my Premiere Pro? If so, which version would you recommend?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dede5E16,

We're sorry about the poor experience. Performance & hardware utilization in Premiere Pro is dependent on several factors. Please let us know the type of media files (format/codec, frame rate & frame size) you are working with & the efects applied. Also, let us know the type of Renderer selected under File > Project Settings > General.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working with 3840x1080 60FPS video with MP4 format.

The active renderer is Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your CPU and GPU might not always get peggged at 100%. What codec are you using? Is CUDA and Nvenc enabled? Your Intel CPU is to old to use Quick Sync. If the Intel CPU is using more of the CPU during playback it might be because the Intel CPU is wimpier than the AMD 2600X. You do not want your CPU being used 100% for playback. If you are editing 4K other than H.264 you will have to drop down to 1/4 reolution and the CPU and GPU might not get pegged at 100% (I hope not). For export if your GPU is at 80% and the CPU is at 20%-30% that is not bad. The system in the video has low specs like yours. Watch what happens to the the RAM when playing R3D files and BRAW files VS H.264. Watch the CPU usage change as well. See if your system does the same thing. If so then it might be working OK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how the usage looks on rendering, still not maximizing the CPU/GPU and it took twice the duration to encode compared to Handbrake. The processed video was the usual 3840x1080 60FPS MP4 H.264.

Screenshot (35).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using plugins? You need to click on your GPU to see if it is encoding and decoding. That might be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated before, I never touched any setting regarding how the program works.

Everything is on default. This is a clean install of Adobe Premiere.

This is the GPU status :

Screenshot (39).png

And this is how it looks when Handbrake is encoding :

Screenshot (40).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD Video Storage

By @Dede5E16

That is likely your issue.

Media and cache should be on a fast SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your storage is a slow spinning disk. Upgrade to an SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hard drive is more than fast enough for H.264 at 4K. Keep mind handbrake does it faster using the same hard drive. 

Handbrake is using the CPU and Premiere  is using Nvenc. The CPU might be more poweful then the mediocre GTX 1050 Ti. Perhaps dissabling Nvenc might be a good idea in this case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's possible that the GPU was dragging the CPU down? But the GPU encode also wasn't at 100%

This is the first time I'm encountering something like this.

And I tried the Software render in premiere, it used the CPU up to 99% but there's almost no difference on the render duration.

I'll just bear with this until new update come out because I don't think I can fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try a BIOS update. It may or may not help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I checked the Handbrake features and found that it had NVENC.

I enabled it and it's rendering 4x faster than NVENC on Premiere. I'm suspecting this is a problem with the software now.

Screenshot (45).png

I hope this will be resolved in future updates. Meanwhile I'll try the older premiere version to see if there's any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you resolve this? because i am an old premiere user, and this is the first time this happen to me... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening to me too. Just started today. This is super frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing has happened to me just yesterday even though I am using the last version too. Still trying to find a way to fix it today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start a new thread. This old thread is on a different version with numerous changes between then and now.

And give both your full computer specs plus the media you're using and effects in that new thread.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines