Highlighted

Premiere Pro 2020 not loading project(s) - locks after locating media.

New Here ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this has now happenned to two of my projects.  I will attempt to load a project and it gets through the loading process.  Last thing I see is the "Locating media" bar then it shows just a blank premiere pro screen.  (What you see behind the home screen).  When I attempt to click on anything I get the windows alert tone like there is a different window floating open or something.  I have to force shut down Premiere and try again.  I tried opening a new project and importing the old but I get the same problem.  Any ideas??

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro 2020 not loading project(s) - locks after locating media.

New Here ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this has now happenned to two of my projects.  I will attempt to load a project and it gets through the loading process.  Last thing I see is the "Locating media" bar then it shows just a blank premiere pro screen.  (What you see behind the home screen).  When I attempt to click on anything I get the windows alert tone like there is a different window floating open or something.  I have to force shut down Premiere and try again.  I tried opening a new project and importing the old but I get the same problem.  Any ideas??

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. 

Upon launching a recently opened project from the home screen as usual, this strangeley began to happened.  Once we click the project to load, it goes throgh a successful status bar load, then goes into a locating media load, then upon finishing that it hangs on a blank screen.

Some conversation point to reverting back to previous versions from the current 14.1.0 to 14.0.4 for example.  Some recommend ensuring the most current NVIDIA drivers (for our dual P5000's).  I have just gone through most every combination of previous Premiere build and NVIDIA drivers with no success.

We have also performed the other suggested fixes of default preferences (holding windows key upon Premiere launch, reinstalling Premiere, along with trying to start a new empty project and then importing the problem project).  The latter options actually loaded the project contents (could see a perfectly intact Bin contents) BUT consistently hangs immediately thereafter until I cntrl+alt+delete force quit Premiere. 

I am very frustrated- there seems to be no way to access open projects until this issue is resolved. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was an informative post Toth. The only thing that comes to mind might be to load a new project since you got into PP and then turn off the feature WINDOW\Workspaces\Import Workspace from Projects, at least it's worth a try.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Son just phoned me about this problem. As soon as you open the project and it starts to locate media hit cancel. 

If you need to link media do a few at a time from the project window.

We tried linking files one at a time, then offlining all the files and we got the blank screen. 

I just hit cancel and my project opened and I  was stairing at my timeline. All the media was linked anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information on this bug. I opened my project this morning and I had to hit cancel again. It still does not open normally. The load screen asked me to link media that was already linked. I hit cancel and my project was fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing Nathan, I finally have a solution that works for me:

It turns out that this was in fact some sort of hang that occurred during the locating media process.   Here is what I did to access the problem project successfully:

1. Open Premiere and create a new project (it also could be any existing Premiere project that you can successfully load).
  2. Import the problem project by choosing file>import>import selected sequences.
  3. When prompted I only selected the import selected sequences option, but selected all the folders and sequences that populate the box to the left.  Note: I tried to choose import entire project but for some reason that did not work and kept freezing Premiere when I chose that.
  4. Once the project successfully imported and I saw everything as it was from the old project, I noticed a few select shots were offline (Media Offline).  I knew these clips had been moved because I had intentionally moved some assets to another part of our server.  I usually just relink the media and we're good to go.
  5. Once I could scrub through the newly imported project, I noted all the offline media and then proceeded to save this new project and begin to place the media back to where it was previously on our server when I could recall the project opening correctly.
  6. Once I did this, I reopened the original problem project and it opened perfectly!  I also opened the newly made project of the imported project and that opened perfectly too.

I should have followed the bread crum of the hang occurring immediately upon finishing the locating media process, but a lot of conversation out there seemed to diagnose this as a software version and/or it's relationship to a GPU driver version. 

I hope this works for you all!

(For what this might be worth also, this was with Premiere version 14.0.4 which was intentional because we have some third-party plug-ins that don't have patches to use their plug-ins past this 14.0.4 version of Premiere.  I am also on Windows 10 using Nvidia P5000's with driver version 431.86).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nathan-

Unfortunately I had tried to bypass the locating media process with no success.  It would start the hang process anyway.  Without the project loading (simply a blank screen), I wasn't in the possition to even see the project bin to relink offline media.  I did find a solution that worked for me above

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey what you did has worked for me as well in the past. As far as just hitting cancel that works on my system and my Son's. Pehaps the reason your project hungs and the reason our projects hung are different, even though the blank screen result was the same. I am glad to hear you are up and running. 

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Elyoc LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0