Highlighted

Premiere Pro 2020 not opening projects

New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Currently I am trying to open up my premier pro projects. I am able to open the app on my iMac, but when I go to open a project, it will attempt to open, then it wont respond. I've reset my computer and restarted premiere a few times now. I'm unsure what to do next.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Averdahl | Adobe Community Professional

Create a brand new project and import the old project into the new one via File > Import.

Have patience, large projects take som time to import and one can get the impression that everything has freezed.

TOPICS
CC FAQ, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro 2020 not opening projects

New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Currently I am trying to open up my premier pro projects. I am able to open the app on my iMac, but when I go to open a project, it will attempt to open, then it wont respond. I've reset my computer and restarted premiere a few times now. I'm unsure what to do next.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Averdahl | Adobe Community Professional

Create a brand new project and import the old project into the new one via File > Import.

Have patience, large projects take som time to import and one can get the impression that everything has freezed.

TOPICS
CC FAQ, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Averdahl. This helped out. Will I need to keep repeating this process everytime I open up this project?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you just use the project in the new version.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Neil said, use the project in the new version. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl, I did that process and when I finished and re-entered again later the project did not want to open. Now every time I go to work on it,  I have to do the same process over and over again? Sorry that's RIDICULOUS. I have PREMIER 2020 on a brand new MACBOOK PRO with CATALINA and is a new project, is suppouse to work flawless.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if i understand it correctly you had Project A that refused to open, so you created a brand new Project B and used File > Import to import Project A into Project B?

And now Project B refuses to open as well so you have created a brand new Projec C and used File > Import to import Project B into Project C?

Three questions:

1. What exact version of Premiere Pro do you use? (Help > About Premiere Pro)
  2. How large is your hard drive/s and how much free space do they have left?
  3. Are you sure that you open the correct project? When having several project files for the same project it is easy to by mistake open the old corrupted project file by mistake. Make sure to give them names that stick out, such as OLD-Project A and NEW-Project B. That makes it easier to distinguish the files from each other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having same issue  cannot open my proects, and they are only ten minutes videos.  this really sucks. I paid a good bit for this and the razer blade pro 17 64gb ram 4TB 2080 super and I7-9750H    All I want is to edit and send it.  looks like its time to eat it and go to davinci  any help??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to do what i wrote earlier?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have  ALT while launching,  copy then enter as new project  it just started a few days ago, now its useless.  why is this acceptable? its not cheap  and now I have a huge back log of videos  and an in the boc razer blade studio on my counter and Im afraid to load PP to it.  Im dying over here. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never ask for help without using the previous advice.  this just sucks I have 3 videos I need to uploadand cannot even move in PP without (not responding) popping up.  never happened this bad before. been days now 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have  ALT while launching,  copy then enter as new project

I never wrote anything about using the Alt-key. I don´t know what you mean by "copy then enter as new project". I never mentioned anything about copy something.

There is not enough details to help here. What footage do you use, in what codec is it, 4K or 8K, 25fps or 150fps, where is it from, what camera filmed it, what app created it? Without enough details one can only guess.

Download MediaInfo and install it and set the View to Tree and open the footage and take a screen dump of all info and post it here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive used ALL advice on here, kind of in the middle of several things. Its all 4k30fps nothing fancy, and the video is short. it let me put it together, then stopped.   its all same as Ive used since I got PP 8 months ago.  nothing on my end has changed just PP not working at all. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive downloaded mediainfo view  cant find "tree"  what am i doing wrong here? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening to me last week... I have the latest update, plenty of space and never had a problem. Having to recreate a new project open my last project is a bit on the klunky side... Can we get this fixed???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try dumping your cache/media cache database files before opening the projects?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, I did dump the cache and it still is happening. I have never had this issue until this past week... As far as I know nothing has changed on my system or with Adobe creative cloud. I am not aware of any updates since this began. I have even had to make a new project of the new project if I shut it down and then try to reopen, although that has not been the case in every instance. Some of the new projects created do open just fine..

[cid:39d3b917-91af-4cd8-8b9c-8bbc9abe327b]
Kevin Cole | Producer
423-364-8882
Kevin@kcoleproductions.com
kcoleproductions.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely file this with complete details on their UserVoice system. That gets the information directly to the engineering team and in collated form to the upper managers who decide budgets & such.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, I just sent it as you suggested...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the latest version of Premiere. I've traced my issue to when I have Playback set to my HD monitor (a 3rd display connected to my 2019 Mac Pro running Catalina). If this is set as such, the next time I load Premiere and try to open any previous project, PP hangs and needs to be force quit. If I wipe prefs by opening with OPTION/SHIFT held, then everything is fine. So basically loading projects with Playback set to my HD monitor will crash PP. I guess I'll have to live without my preview display, which is unfortunate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's just crazy... I too have a monitor connected. Perhaps next time I will unplug my monitor before opening a project...

[cid:fa0e592f-68bf-4cde-b30d-3800f1c80fa1]
Kevin Cole | Producer
423-364-8882
kcoleproductions.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So taking Neil's advice I changed my settings for playback monitor away from my external monitor to laptop monitor and it seemed to have worked. Then I tried selecting both my external monitor and my laptop monitor together and so far that seems to be working...

[cid:aedfc970-4b5f-4b81-80c1-d32a8144170f]
Kevin Cole | Producer
423-364-8882
kcoleproductions.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues.
I'm resorting to disabling my preview display to get my files to load. 
I knew I jumped too soon on the upgrade.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup disabling the external monitor seems to work... When I open a project I then go back and select my external monitor... If I close projects and open other projects without shutting down premiere I have no problem... So it only seems to be a problem when starting premiere...

Kevin

[cid:041a8b2f-05f6-47d0-9374-14558504504f]
Kevin Cole | Producer
423-364-8882
kcoleproductions.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Thanks for the work around solutions. Hope this will be fixed...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have the same issue with the latest version of Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Thank you for the posts. Turned off monitor out "Enable Mercury Transmit" - opens fine. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0