Highlighted

Premiere pro 2020, not using GPU + Crash + Lag

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just got a new laptop (ASUS ROG G14) for editing, in hope that I could get a better workflow with a new strong computer to edit and render, without lags and crashes.

Well, that's not the case... My CPU (AMD RYZEN 7 4800HS) is running with 100% usage, and my GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1660TI MQ) is running with 0%..... The program starts crashing and freezing and lagging in the preview/replay window while using a few effects on a clip. I wanna know why this happens, and how I can fix it, cause right now, this program is running just as bad as on my 7-year-old desktop with Intel i5 CPU, and it should not be like this...

I hope somebody will be able to help me out. Thank you.

TOPICS
Crash, Effects and Titles, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere pro 2020, not using GPU + Crash + Lag

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just got a new laptop (ASUS ROG G14) for editing, in hope that I could get a better workflow with a new strong computer to edit and render, without lags and crashes.

Well, that's not the case... My CPU (AMD RYZEN 7 4800HS) is running with 100% usage, and my GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1660TI MQ) is running with 0%..... The program starts crashing and freezing and lagging in the preview/replay window while using a few effects on a clip. I wanna know why this happens, and how I can fix it, cause right now, this program is running just as bad as on my 7-year-old desktop with Intel i5 CPU, and it should not be like this...

I hope somebody will be able to help me out. Thank you.

TOPICS
Crash, Effects and Titles, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've been changing the use of the GPU in recent releases, but that is dependent on the CPU and GPU in use. User RJL has all the information, hopefully he'll pop in.

And, some things within Premiere use the GPU for playback, and some just do not. It's not a "universal" addition to the CPU. So ... what effects were you using?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the stabilization, which completely screwed up my laptop. And in general i feel lags while editing, i expected it to run a lot smoother on my new powerful laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to Warp stabilizer, that is the most computer-intensive effect in Premiere by far. It analyzes first, meaning every movement of every frame is studied and logged by mostly the CPU, then it needs to move, re-shape, and re-size every frame of the clip. Which will involve typically both the CPU and the GPU.

It is not like simply turning on stabilization in-camera. Which works in real-time rather easily. This is a massive, frame-by-frame rebuilding of every pixel in the clip. It can bring a good desktop to a slog.

When I do use Warp ... I do the analyzation, then do a complete render/replace with my preview codec set to a ProRes codec similar to my export expectations. Then I don't make the computer re-do the work if I make changes to the clip.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 1