Highlighted

Premiere Pro 2020's Playback Is Completely Unusable, Come On Adobe!

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so mad. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro (Stats Below) and I'm doing a large project for a potential employer and I cant playback anything in the New Premiere 2020 because of ADOBE DOESNT CARE ABOUT FIXING BUGS! This has cost me time and slowed down my career greatly. I give up on Adobe, ever update is worse the last in terms of usability I'm getting Davinci because they care. #provemewrongadobe 

Mac Specs

MacSpecs.png

Topics

Crash, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro 2020's Playback Is Completely Unusable, Come On Adobe!

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so mad. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro (Stats Below) and I'm doing a large project for a potential employer and I cant playback anything in the New Premiere 2020 because of ADOBE DOESNT CARE ABOUT FIXING BUGS! This has cost me time and slowed down my career greatly. I give up on Adobe, ever update is worse the last in terms of usability I'm getting Davinci because they care. #provemewrongadobe 

Mac Specs

MacSpecs.png

Topics

Crash, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so maybe work in premiere 2019.  I'm working in a 2012 macbookpro in both premiere 2019 and 2020 without serious issues.

Good luck with Resolve, a great color correction tool, not such a great editing tool..  If you're serious about figuring out and solving the problem, maybe tell us your source properties and your sequence settings instead of just, as the English say, whinging...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's not kind of you, and let's be honest Adobe has had issues like this for years after the release of CC, just because you don't have a problem with your playback probably has to do with you graphics card, PPCC 2020 apparently can't run Metal correctly on i7’s and NVIDIA, so that's great. And sure I'm whining because what's the point of wasting my money, time, and livelihood on updates that prove constantly not to work as promised? 

I plan to go back to 2019 but that's not a real solution and I already have put time into the 2020 project I don't have time to redo because of deadlines (you know that thing adults and people with jobs have to think about) 

mall my footage is 1080p 50m Vlog .mov files so I shouldn't be having any problems with playback but the entire thing freezes up to minutes at a time if I try to scrub thru the footage or play it after a change or even if I switch to after-effects. If it takes a whole minute to start playback after a change (or no change) then it's unusable and many have this problem. Why is anyone give Adobe this kind of money anymore? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe none of this applies to you, but maybe much of it will..

One of the pros of Premiere is that it has a low technical barrier to entry compared to many other professional video editing platforms, but one of the drawbacks to this is that you can get pretty far as "creative" editor -- you may even consider yourself a professional -- without understanding very much about the technical aspects of media and editing. Basically, what you end up with are a bunch of editors that don't even know how much they don't know.  I was guilty of this for a long time. This leads to a lot of the Adobe-bashing you see because honestly -- people have no other place to direct their frustrations. They don't even know what they are doing wrong.

In a perfect world then yes, everything always works and it's all plug-and-play and the type of media you work with doesn't matter. But we're not there yet. Premiere is a professional editing software and professional editors use professional equipment, professional media, and professional workflows to execute high end video productions.

1) You are editing on an 6-year old laptop. Your hardware is going to be holding you back from even a minimally decent editing experience.

2) You listed the type of media you are working with but not all of the specs that are important, the biggest of which is the media codec. You said you are shooting Vlog's and the resulting file has a .mov container. There can be several different types of codec inside a .mov container, including very poor editing codecs. Are you shooting on a phone? If so, as professional editor you should know that a phone is going to yield about the worst possible media you can possibly work with. A .mov container from a phone indicates that the video codec inside is HEVC, which is one of the least efficient editing codecs out there. Your phone is also going to be shooting in Variable Framerate, which is basically poison for editing software. The combination of HEVC and VFR is going to make sure you have downright unplayable media even on a really nice computer, which you don't have.

If you did not shoot on a phone, then you may still be dealing with the fact that your media is h264 or h265, which again - is not a great codec to edit with on any computer, let alone the one you listed.

If you have ProRes inside that .mov container, then it may simply be too high bitrate for your hardware to handle, but otherwise I would suggest you try editing with ProRes at one of the lower levels like LT or even Proxy. (I say this without knowing much else about your set up and workflow. You may also have bottlenecks in drive speed/transfer speed, etc.)

If you're interested in learning more about why things happen on your computer, please consider continuing your education on codecs, bitrate, drive and I/O transfer speed. To get you only mildly started, here are some codec-related links:

https://www.reddit.com/r/premiere/wiki/faq/playback

https://blog.frame.io/2017/02/15/choose-the-right-codec/

If you need to learn about and address VFR issues, here is another link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/wiki/faq/vfr

So you have plans to leave Premiere... Please know that while different editing software is going to take advantage of your computer hardware in different ways, pretty much all of what I've written above is going to apply to all professional editing software. Resolve might do better with your unoptimized media up to a certain point, but you still need to understand these things. If you really want to stick with compressed media as your editing codec and you are on a mac, then you probably want to look into FCX, as that's probably going to handle your h264/h265 media better than other software running on a mac, especially if you're shooting on a phone (even moreso an iPhone.)

Also - obviously your hardware needs to be upgraded. I save that suggestion for last because I think the assumption that hardware is going to fix all your issues is a pitfall that many hobbyist and even intermediate editors fall victim to. Hardware is only part of the equation.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0